BBM App on iPhone and Android Reaches 10 Million Downloads in First Day

ThePointblank

I'm not downloading it because somethings fishy. Why will an almost bankrupt company pay to make an app for another platform and then release it for free. They are just loosing money over supporting it with updates while also their server costs which are going to skyrocket. Either theres a bigger hand at play here, or they are going to switch to a subscription model quite soon... 

lol no. Why isnt that the case with all the free messenger apps then? Whatsapp? You think they are going belly up since they give out downloads for free for apple and android users? What about their server costs? No theres another reason, its market share. Its a strategic move to get a chunk out of the messenger game on ios and android. Think about what AMD did with their Never Settle Bundle.. People were saying the same thing about that move too.

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

lol no. Why isnt that the case with all the free messenger apps then? Whatsapp? You think they are going belly up since they give out downloads for free for apple and android users? What about their server costs? No theres another reason, its market share. Its a strategic move to get a chunk out of the messenger game on ios and android. Think about what AMD did with their Never Settle Bundle.. People were saying the same thing about that move too.

What AMD is doing is completely different to this; and WhatsApp is free for only the first year and also takes in donations for its revenue  :P

I found this and while WhatsApp employs only 20 employees, its relatively cheaper than BB to operate http://thefutureandwhatitmighthold.blogspot.in/2012/10/how-does-whatsapp-make-money.html

Actually, you need to learn context of sentences. You in the beginning for your sentence, were speaking of snapchat, therefore when using IT later on in the sentence, it refers back to the previously mentioned subject. Get some english lessons kid.

not once did I ever mention that I used snapchat or referred to it. If you can find exactly where the reference to snapchat in my dialogue was please be kind enough to show me

With today's technology I often wonder why we don't have colonies on the moon or Mars. Then I go to Wal Mart for 5 minutes and realize the vast majority of the human populace isn't ready for such things.

not once did I ever mention that I used snapchat or referred to it. If you can find exactly where the reference to snapchat in my dialogue was please be kind enough to show me

I reread the dialogue and re-track my statement. I apologize I had a misunderstanding with my own reply not yours. & I apologize for the rude nature of my comments.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have BBM on an iPhone or Android, you seriously have some identity issues.

still won't download it....

Why not? I like it a lot more than What'sapp, which is really the only viable cross-platform alternative

Don't see why everyone is getting this app. I would just use Whatsapp/Wechat instead of this.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I could see blackberry moving over to a software developer for phones, they are already skilled in needs for cooperate.

i could see later on more programs for apps or loaded on specific android phones to meet expectations

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Update: Blackberry is reporting that the BBM active user base has increased by 20 million users:

http://globalnews.ca/news/932054/bbm-adds-over-20-million-new-users-from-android-iphone-app/

TORONTO – BlackBerry says it has seen over 20 million new users join the BBM platform since the release of its iPhone and Android app last week.

The Waterloo, Ont.-based company said Tuesday that BlackBerry Messenger now has more than 80 million monthly active users, including over 20 million iPhone and Android users who waited patiently to receive their “pin” and start using the app.

“It is great to see so many people downloading BBM, but the true measurement for us is engagement – the connections being made and the conversations in which our BBM community engages. The power of BBM has always been the active, real conversations and interaction that our customers enjoy,” said Andrew Bocking, Executive Vice President of BBM at BlackBerry in a press release.

“From here on out, we will focus on active users of BBM and will no longer focus on simple download numbers.”

The BBM app reached over 10 million downloads in the first 24 hours of being available, according to the company.

Read More: BBM app reaches over 10 million downloads in first day