Best Ram speed and Cas Latency for gaming?

Okay so I noticed that people are saying that ram speed doesn't matter when gaming but the amount of ram does.

This video proves otherwise for some games.

What would be the best ram speed and CAS latency for gaming?

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

this video proves that multithread helps, and that a huge speed gap between ram with same CPU gives up to 4 fps more...

really, if you have money and you care this much buy 3200Mhz DDR4, but it won't change everything you knew

Just now, belfouf said:

this video proves that multithread helps, and that a huge speed gap between ram with same CPU gives up to 4 fps more...

really, if you have money and you care this much buy 3200Mhz DDR4, but it won't change everything you knew

The video shows a huge increase of 66% and a minimum of 8% fps, what would be the best ram speed and cas latency?

4 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

The video shows a huge increase of 66% and a minimum of 8% fps, what would be the best ram speed and cas latency?

increase, you mean i5 vs i7 ?

Just now, belfouf said:

increase, you mean i5 vs i7 ?

No the ram speed differences with the i3-6100 with different ram speeds.

Just now, IAEInferno said:

No the ram speed differences with the i3-6100 with different ram speeds.

yeah, fake. errors in testing. no way 500mhz RAM makes 40 fps diff.

There will be the nay sayers who are most likely regurgitating the fallacies spread by Linus' flawed video about the matter but there is clear evidence that faster RAM does make an impact on minimum framerates and potentially gives higher average framerates in CPU intensive situations. 

Diminishing returns start at about 2800-3000MHz. Latency doesn't matter much as far as I'm aware.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, belfouf said:

yeah, fake. errors in testing. no way 500mhz RAM makes 40 fps diff.

@patrickjp93 hello, is this true?

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

There will be the nay sayers who are most likely regurgitating the fallacies within Linus' flawed video about the matter but there is clear evidence that faster RAM does make an impact on minimum framerates and potentially gives higher average framerates in CPU intensive situations. 

Diminishing returns start at about 2800-3000MHz. Latency doesn't matter much as far as I'm aware.

Okay thanks, so around 3000Mhz would be the best option for faster ram :D. 

@patrickjp93 hello, is this true?

Until I disassemble the binary, I cannot comment on it with any integrity. While it is POSSIBLE to produce such a scenario, I doubt consumer game programmers have reached that level of competence yet.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Basically. Spending $6-10 more isn't going to make a huge dent in the budget.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, belfouf said:

this is what happens in reality with every games

Test-Gskill-TridentZ-3200-CL16-total-war2.jpg

So 3000Mhz is the sweet spot, thanks dude.

1 minute ago, IAEInferno said:

DDR4 3200 14 is the best currently available for DDR4 latency, even if the bandwidth is not the highest. That said, I have not seen enough testing for the current gen to prove one way or the other. And Linus' videos can go out of date every 6 months. That does not make him wrong at his point in time in context.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

So 3000Mhz is the sweet spot, thanks dude.

yeah 3000 makes a gap, which is reduced further, note that the smallest the CAS (CL) the best perf

Just now, belfouf said:

yeah 3000 makes a gap, which is reduced further, note that the smallest the CAS (CL) the best perf

Yes, thanks!

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

DDR4 3200 14 is the best currently available for DDR4 latency, even if the bandwidth is not the highest. That said, I have not seen enough testing for the current gen to prove one way or the other. And Linus' videos can go out of date every 6 months. That does not make him wrong at his point in time in context.

Oh yeah, I noticed that the CL on the 3200Mhz one is at 16 and lower CL is better if I'm not wrong?

So a 2x8gb 3200Mhz 15CL ram kit would be faster than the 3000Mhz one and thus better fps!?

14 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

Oh yeah, I noticed that the CL on the 3200Mhz one is at 16 and lower CL is better if I'm not wrong?

So a 2x8gb 3200Mhz 15CL ram kit would be faster than the 3000Mhz one and thus better fps!?

a 2x3200 CL15 would be more optimal than a 2x3000 CL 15 if you have a latency-sensitive workload.

20 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

There's a 3600 c15 kit out as well, which IIRC has better latency & bandwidth overall. It's a bit pricey though.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

25 minutes ago, Lays said:

There's a 3600 c15 kit out as well, which IIRC has better latency & bandwidth overall. It's a bit pricey though.

G.Skill was also supposed to be dropping a 3400 c14 option on us, but I haven't seen anymore on it.

35 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

a 2x3200 CL15 would be more optimal than a 2x3000 CL 15 if you have a latency-sensitive workload.

To be honest I just game all day, I'm trying to find out the best type of speed for gaming xD.

Make sure your motherboard supports the RAM speed and that you don't exceed the amount of supported ram! The reason the video shows that you gain tons of performace with faster ram is because it's an i3. With an i5 or i7 the story is a bit different. 

Just now, MrAwesomepants said:

Make sure your motherboard supports the RAM speed and that you don't exceed the amount of supported ram! The reason the video shows that you gain tons of performace with faster ram is because it's an i3. With an i5 or i7 the story is a bit different. 

I see, I'll make sure to check the compatible ram speed of the motherboard :D.

1 hour ago, IAEInferno said:

Since the i3 only has two hyper-threaded cores, it'll gain hugely from a faster (or technically more bandwidth) and a lower CAS latency (to reduce the time between requests). The i5 gains a little less than the i3 with it's four cores and higher cache. i7's gain the least as they, once again, have hyper-threading and larger cache.

I usually recommend getting 1866/9 DDR3 and 2400/15 DDR4 with i7's and i5's, but any i3 system that i build gets 2133/11 DDR3 or 2800/17 if the price isn't too far off from the bases for the platform.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers