Internet starts cutting out when my sister gets home

Lewiscpullan

Whenever my sister comes to visit my internet starts to cut out often. It says connected but no internet. It does this with no other visitor. She has an iPhone 6, Samsung galaxy tab 4 and a cheap Compaq laptop. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?

Thanks, Lewis

12 minutes ago, Lewiscpullan said:

how can I fix it?

Kick her out.

Or maybe its all of her devices autoconnecting to the wifi and wearing it down. You can probably fix this by upgrading your internet. Get faster/ stronger speeds and a stronger router to handle all of those devices at once while maintaining high-reliable speeds.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

2 minutes ago, Festive said:

Kick her out.

Or maybe its all of her devices autoconnecting to the wifi and wearing it down. You can probably fix this by upgrading your internet. Get faster/ stronger speeds and a stronger router to handle all of those devices at once while maintaining high-reliable speeds.

Well we have the max speed. It's only when she gets back it doesn't happen with my other sister who has the same amount of devices.

Virus on laptop?

1 minute ago, Lewiscpullan said:

Well we have the max speed. It's only when she gets back it doesn't happen with my other sister who has the same amount of devices.

one of her devices must be the issue. I suggest hiding a different one everyday so you can see which one it is.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Change the wifi password so she can't log on ;)

It could be your router depending on how old it might be, as if you have say 5 phones, a bunch of laptops and tablets all connected to its trying share the bandwidth with all them, so it might not be able stretch across all platforms and gives up till there are less things to connect to. 

What Can I say about myself.......
I'm charming, witty, charismatic, stunningly good looking and am a habitual liar
I have an eating disorder that leaves me permanently hungry, however the more I eat the more my IQ goes down, It is a cruel and unusual curse. (I may also have bum worms)
I have many friends and they find me very funny, they are always laughing when I am around. 
I only have 1 and a half testicles after an incident involving a squire, a jar of vaseline, a bowl of mixed nuts and a Soft Rock mix tape. 

2 hours ago, Festive said:

Kick her out.

Its fine when my other sister comes round she has the same amount of devices.

check the settings in your router and set devise priority to the stuff you want to keep going.

That way it will priorities your stuff over everyone else's when determining connections. 

You could try picking up another router, setting it up with a different IP range, and putting her on that.  That way, not only do you keep her off the router you use, but you can isolate whether it's your original router or one of her devices that's doing it.

3 hours ago, Ringthane said:

You could try picking up another router, setting it up with a different IP range, and putting her on that.  That way, not only do you keep her off the router you use, but you can isolate whether it's your original router or one of her devices that's doing it.

I agree, your router maybe the problem. Just put her on another network

Is your sister running a rouge DHCP server on her laptop?  Maybe she is performing a denial of service attack on you.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads