i5 2500K vs FX 8350?

Go to solution Solved by Mikius10001,

The i5. For gaming. Editing/Rendering? I would think they would be similar, but the 8350 would probably edge in the multi core scenario.

I now realize answer just with 'The i5' isn't all that helpful.

The Single Core performance of the i5 is superior, and since most games these days aren't optimized to utilize all cores to their full potential, single core performance is better. Also, lower power consumption, if that matters.

Hei,

I'm building a computer for my little brother, mostly for gaming. I was wondering which CPU would be best for gaming between the i5 2500K vs AMD FX 8350? The i5 doesn't have hyper threading fyi.

Also; Which CPU is best for editing/rendering? 

I have both CPUs just laying around here with their motherboards. Thanks

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

The i5. For gaming. Editing/Rendering? I would think they would be similar, but the 8350 would probably edge in the multi core scenario.

I now realize answer just with 'The i5' isn't all that helpful.

The Single Core performance of the i5 is superior, and since most games these days aren't optimized to utilize all cores to their full potential, single core performance is better. Also, lower power consumption, if that matters.

2 hours ago, Mikius10001 said:

The i5.

i5 wins in both gaming + editing/rendering? How come? The 8350 has higher clocks, hyper threading while the i5 doesn't.

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

For editing and rendering, the 8350 would likely edge the i5 out by quite a bit.

So that's an i5 over 8350 for gaming from you as well?

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

2 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

i5 wins in both gaming + editing/rendering? How come? The 8350 has higher clocks, hyper threading while the i5 doesn't.

You can't compare CPU to CPU by higher clocks. Intel CPUs can do much more work per clock than AMD CPUs, even to the point where the Intel quad cores can bridge the gap in most applications. If you have a program that can use all of the AMD's threads, it is better for rendering.

Why these CPUs though? They're both really old at this point.

The 2500K would win for gaming as it has the faster single core performance, even more so when overclocked. The 2500K is known for being great at overclocking to 4.2GHz+ easily.

For gaming, the i5 will perform a lot better. The 8350 would fall very short on this aspect.

For rendering, 8350, as it has more cores.

The reason you should get the i5 is because whereas you can wait around for a video to render, you can not wait around for a game to render frames. You get low FPS, and the game stutters and becomes unplayable, which is what will happen if you buy the 8350.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Just now, scottyseng said:

You can't compare CPU to CPU by higher clocks. Intel CPUs can do much more work per clock than AMD CPUs, even to the point where the Intel quad cores can bridge the gap in most applications. If you have a program that can use all of the AMD's threads, it is better for rendering.

Why these CPUs though? They're both really old at this point.

Because those are the 2 that I have laying around. Also my brother is only playing older games like Watch Dogs 1 and Need for Speed, so I'm not going to buy him new parts for those. Going to pair the i5 2500k with my old Radeon 7950 then. Thanks for the help :)

HWBOT

8 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

Clock speeds don't really matter. The Athlon X4 860K for instance, has 4 GHz clock speeds, but is only as fast as a Skylake Pentium.

Linus' earrings suit him

Please check out this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/659360-saints-row-2s-features/

Rizen and Vehga 2017

2 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

Because those are the 2 that I have laying around. Also my brother is only playing older games like Watch Dogs 1 and Need for Speed, so I'm not going to buy him new parts for those. Going to pair the i5 2500k with my old Radeon 7950 then. Thanks for the help :)

Haha, if you have both, you could have one PC for gaming, then the other for rendering. It would kill your power bill though.

Yeah, the 2500K with a 7950 is a really solid gaming machine. Are you planning to overclock though? Watch Dogs still runs like crap though, fyi. I remember that game still lagging on my brother's (he's the gamer) 780 Ti with 2500K.

I myself have a 980 Ti with my 2500K and yes, it bottlenecks hard. haha.

2 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Haha, if you have both, you could have one PC for gaming, then the other for rendering. It would kill your power bill though.

Yeah, the 2500K with a 7950 is a really solid gaming machine. Are you planning to overclock though? Watch Dogs still runs like crap though, fyi. I remember that game still lagging on my brother's (he's the gamer) 780 Ti with 2500K.

I myself have a 980 Ti with my 2500K and yes, it bottlenecks hard. haha.

Think I'll just sync all cores to stock speed, so it doesn't jump from 1.9GHz to 3.7 like crazy. Not going to overclock, as the case has poor options regarding cable management/airflow, and lil bro is just gaming older games on 1080p as mentioned :P

Btw; The 2500k @ stock speed will not bottleneck the 7950 right?

HWBOT

cores + clock speed =/= performance

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

15 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

Think I'll just sync all cores to stock speed, so it doesn't jump from 1.9GHz to 3.7 like crazy. Not going to overclock, as the case has poor options regarding cable management/airflow, and lil bro is just gaming older games on 1080p as mentioned :P

Btw; The 2500k @ stock speed will not bottleneck the 7950 right?

Ah, I wouldn't do that, I would still let the CPU drop clock speeds to save you power. Most games will only ever use one core and the rest will idle. It'll save you power in the long run if your brother likes to browse a lot (it doesn't make sense to keep the CPU locked to the max speed for basic tasks). You can still overclock though, just watch the temps, but yeah, if your brother sees one CPU pinned and the GPU usage dropping suddenly, you need to overclock. I'm doubtful though, as the 280X and 2500K ran really well in my brother's PC.

No, it won't. Before the 780 Ti, we had a 280X and both of them worked just fine. Right now we have a 1060 in my brother's PC, and that works to full fps as well. It might be losing like 2-3 fps or something, but still not major deal.

Yeah, I had a FirePro V7900 (equal to a GTX 560 / Radeon 5850) and I bought a RPG PS4 ported game on steam and was getting like 14-20 fps. I kind of snapped and bought a used 980 Ti a few months ago (1070s were crazy over priced / 980 Ti cards were cheap because everyone was tossing them away for the 10xx series). Now I run everything the game at 4KHD at 60 fps. I'm only a casual gamer / mostly content creator though.

9 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Watch Dogs still runs like crap though, fyi. I remember that game still lagging on my brother's (he's the gamer) 780 Ti with 2500K.

Even my 4790k can't run Watch_Dogs.

True story.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

3 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

Even my 4790k can't run Watch_Dogs.

True story.

How come? Is Watch Dogs poorly optimized for PC or something?

HWBOT

1 minute ago, Tech Wizard said:

How come? Is Watch Dogs poorly optimized for PC or something?

Yep, if you want a example of how badly games can be not optimized, Watch Dogs is quite up there.

They kind of ditched it too and stopped patching it.

Just now, scottyseng said:

Yep, if you want a example of how badly games can be not optimized, Watch Dogs is quite up there.

Not good :(

I was hoping this new upgrade for lil bro would make his gameplay smoother. He has been raging quite hard lately over the game lagging/stuttering/dropping frames

HWBOT

Just now, Tech Wizard said:

Not good :(

I was hoping this new upgrade for lil bro would make his gameplay smoother. He has been raging quite hard lately over the game lagging/stuttering/dropping frames

Yeah, sadly, that's the game and not the PC specifications. I do remember the lag spikes with the 780 Ti / stutters. My brother just got tired of it (gameplay was kind of meh anyway) and we gave up on it. It was free with my friend's GPU and he just gave us the code (Since he had two cards for SLi).

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, sadly, that's the game and not the PC specifications. I do remember the lag spikes with the 780 Ti / stutters. My brother just got tired of it (gameplay was kind of meh anyway) and we gave up on it. It was free with my friend's GPU and he just gave us the code (Since he had two cards for SLi).

Will be hard to just give up the game for my little brother. It's his favorite game. Argh, guess I need to tell him the game is poor optimized then :(

HWBOT

They overclock to similar frequencies, so if you're planning to overclock then they should be compared at around the frequency, in which case the i5 wins by a lot in gaming. Even in video editing the FX only wins by a small amount. I don't see any reason to prefer the FX.

1 hour ago, Tech Wizard said:

Will be hard to just give up the game for my little brother. It's his favorite game. Argh, guess I need to tell him the game is poor optimized then :(

Yeah, I would still build the PC though, it might help a little with the issues if his system is weaker. He will see a gain in other games for sure though.