What are some good and secure alternatives to Windows Remote Desktop for Windows 10?

Both I and my friend both have Windows 10 Home which does not allow the use of Remote Desktop but I need to use it to help my friend set up some software.

So what are the best and most secure alternatives to the Windows Remote Desktop feature that MS is (insert random profanities here) for not including in the Home version of W10?

Edit: If this would better in another section mods please feel free to move it.

@Ryan_Vickers

@wkdpaul

Edit: @M.Yurizaki

.       @Oshino Shinobu

I thought maybe you two might have some ideas about this too.

Chrome Remote Desktop from Google

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

team viewer and chrome remote desktop are both good options

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix LP      DDR4-2400
  • GPU                                            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb
  • Case
    Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung 250GB 850 pro,        WD Black 1TB, WD blue 3TB
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
  • Display(s)
    Asus vg248qe, Asus vg245h
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

1 minute ago, RapidReece said:

For full computer functionality I would suggest TeamViewer.

Wasn't that the thing that had a massive hack not that long ago?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes it had a huge hack. I haven't trusted Team Viewer since. I use Chrome Remote desktop. It works great and has the least amount of latency out of all the remote desktop viewers I have tried.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

http://www.techworm.net/2016/06/10-best-remote-desktop-software-alternatives-teamviewer.html

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/06/teamviewer-says-theres-no-evidence-of-2fa-bypass-in-mass-account-hack/

Well that shouldn't really mean they should be distrusted with your service.

Yep, I agree with the teamviewer recommendation. I don't use it myself anymore, apart from when helping out friends/family with problems, it's very user friendly for people that aren't that tech savvy too. I even got my technophobe sister to install it, while talking her through it on the phone. Then I was able to fix her problems without too much more effort on my part. I have actually set up unattended access on some of my family's PCs, so I can access it without them having to do anything too... I would only suggest this for people you really trust though.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just another option is Windows Remote Assistance. I think it is still built into windows 10, and I think it is supported by windows 10 home.

The remote acces software I use, is like close to 15 years old, but still works fine, and would do what you want to do. (help install bloatware) This software is highly outdated, however... Since no one uses it ever, and since it's unknown to the general public, it's save.

Old and/or unknown pieces of software become safe. For example, if you are running windows 3.1, to do some nasty notepad/word typing, who would ever want to invest the time to adjust a hack, to steal things. Hacks are for the general public, not so much for a single consumer.

14 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

This^ for simplicity or

This^ for powah

I'm curious, having never used TeamViewer... How is it more powerful?

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Chrome Remote Desktop from Google

Is that secure?

More secure than droid I hope.  Pretty sure I heard the security and encryption for droid kind of sucks.  

4 hours ago, RapidReece said:

For full computer functionality I would suggest TeamViewer.

4 hours ago, SmashinMachine said:

TEAMVIEWER

4 hours ago, Tyleredbowers said:

team viewer and chrome remote desktop are both good options

4 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Yep, I agree with the teamviewer recommendation. I don't use it myself anymore, apart from when helping out friends/family with problems, it's very user friendly for people that aren't that tech savvy too. I even got my technophobe sister to install it, while talking her through it on the phone. Then I was able to fix her problems without too much more effort on my part. I have actually set up unattended access on some of my family's PCs, so I can access it without them having to do anything too... I would only suggest this for people you really trust though.

4 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

This^ for simplicity or

This^ for powah

TeamViewer seems to be rather popular.  ?

4 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

So TeamViewer is safe it was just users not using proper security software and using bad passwords made worse by sharing between accounts?

Is TeamViewer what you'd suggest?

Or do you know if W10 Home does in fact support Windows Remote Desktop like the pro version?

I asked an employee at a MS store kiosk at a local mall and he told me W10 Home does support/allow Remote Desktop it just doesn't come with it already installed as part of the OS so you have to download it.  

Any idea if that's true?

3 hours ago, Catsrules said:

Just another option is Windows Remote Assistance. I think it is still built into windows 10, and I think it is supported by windows 10 home.

Is that different from Remote Desktop?

3 hours ago, Dutch-stoner said:

The remote acces software I use, is like close to 15 years old, but still works fine, and would do what you want to do. (help install bloatware) This software is highly outdated, however... Since no one uses it ever, and since it's unknown to the general public, it's save.

Old and/or unknown pieces of software become safe. For example, if you are running windows 3.1, to do some nasty notepad/word typing, who would ever want to invest the time to adjust a hack, to steal things. Hacks are for the general public, not so much for a single consumer.

I'm planning to help install antivirus.  Bitdefender if it matters so it's not bloatware.

I gave my friend the disk but I figure using a Remote Desktop like program will let me help my friend configure it without her having to drag her tower to my house.

17 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is that different from Remote Desktop?

yes. It is designed just for remote help,

Just search Remote Assistance in windows search and you should find it.

From what I remember, the person requesting help uses Remote assistance to generates a small file that they send to you. (Email or whatever) You open the file and they give you a password, and you have control.

Obviously both ends need to be running windows for this to work as it is built in to windows.

17 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Or do you know if W10 Home does in fact support Windows Remote Desktop like the pro version?

I asked an employee at a MS store kiosk at a local mall and he told me W10 Home does support/allow Remote Desktop it just doesn't come with it already installed as part of the OS so you have to download it.  

Any idea if that's true?

Win 10 Home only supports connecting to another computer using remote desktop. For example I can used my Windows 10 Home laptop to connect to my Windows 10 Pro Desktop. But I can't use my Windows 10 Pro desktop to connect to my Windows 10 home laptop because Windows 10 home doesn't support that.

I don't know what that employee at MS kiosk was talking about but that isn't true. No Home editions of windows ever supported Remote Desktop.

Besides remote desktop isn't designed for remote support, as you need to port forward port and know the IP address of the person your trying to help. Remote desktop is mostly designed for managing servers.

It is much easier just to use another product for remote support.

10 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Win 10 Home only supports connecting to another computer using remote desktop. For example I can used my Windows 10 Home laptop to connect to my Windows 10 Pro Desktop. But I can't use my Windows 10 Pro desktop to connect to my Windows 10 home laptop because Windows 10 home doesn't support that.

I don't know what that employee at MS kiosk was talking about but that isn't true. No Home editions of windows ever supported Remote Desktop.

Besides remote desktop isn't designed for remote support, as you need to port forward port and know the IP address of the person your trying to help. Remote desktop is mostly designed for managing servers.

It is much easier just to use another product for remote support.

I'll probably just try using TeamViewer then.  It seems to be the most recommended option.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

In my opinion you should try RemoteToPC. It is a really secured remote access app and it also shows you PC heath stats such as CPU, RAM usage, etc. If you want to learn more about it you cann access their website on https://remotetopc.com/

Good luck!

3 hours ago, AndiM said:

In my opinion you should try RemoteToPC. It is a really secured remote access app and it also shows you PC heath stats such as CPU, RAM usage, etc. If you want to learn more about it you cann access their website on https://remotetopc.com/

Good luck!

Sorry, but a year and 2 months later I doubt the guy is still looking for recommendations.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini