Should I still get the s7 edge?

EternalSeeker
Go to solution Solved by EternalSeeker,

So the Samsung store let me have a 100 dollara off If i bought it unlocked (which was my plan) so i got the s7 edge with exynos soc

So i am kind of infuriated at the misinformation. I refunded my replacement note 7 at wind and I am using my original note 7 until I get a phone. So during my refund I asked both wind and Samsung if I am still eligible for the 100 dollar credit if i chose to go S7 edge later ( as I needed time for research). They both said yes. Now when i go they are both declining. Samsung said to ask the carrier while wind says they were updated recently saying the 100 credit is on spot...now why is there a sudden 180 in their statements. Anyway so if I get the s7e I would have to pay the 999 now. Is it worth going with them after this ? The only reason I may consider is the familiarity factor, exynos soc doc is superior and it's good for my use case, other options are more expensive...

Gah is this my fault ? 

Man sorry for ranting.

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

1 minute ago, EternalSeeker said:

So i am kind of infuriated at the misinformation. I refunded my replacement note 7 at wind and I am using my original note 7 until I get a phone. So during my refund I asked both wind and Samsung if I am still eligible for the 100 dollar credit if i chose to go S7 edge later ( as I needed time for research). They both said yes. Now when i go they are both declining. Samsung said to ask the carrier while wind says they were updated recently saying the 100 credit is on spot...now why is there a sudden 180 in their statements. Anyway so if I get the s7e I would have to pay the 999 now. Is it worth going with them after this ? The only reason I may consider is the familiarity factor, exynos soc doc is superior and it's good for my use case, other options are more expensive...

Gah is this my fault ? 

Man sorry for ranting.

the s7 edge is a great phone 

a thousand dollar phone on Wind's shitty network ? lol
what a waste man, you can get just as much use out of something that csots half the price of samsung phones

the galaxy phones are great but i have a hard time justifying the price, also since wind only supports 3G 

i bought myself a moto x play for $280 outright from wind, no complaints on the hardware, it def doesnt compete with the samsung phones but still a great value

Photography / Finance / Gaming

It's still a great phone, and if it does what you want/need then I'd grab it. You're still "saving" $200 (I think?) over the cost of the Note. Really shitty situation though, for sure.

Do you have to get a phone from Wind or are you able to go with something else?

The Xiaomi Note 2 is a pretty slick device, and costs about 1/4 less than the 7e. Bigger screen, but not as "useful".

4 minutes ago, mok said:

a thousand dollar phone on Wind's shitty network ? lol
what a waste man, you can get just as much use out of something that csots half the price of samsung phones

the galaxy phones are great but i have a hard time justifying the price, also since wind only supports 3G 

i bought myself a moto x play for $280 outright from wind, no complaints on the hardware, it def doesnt compete with the samsung phones but still a great value

Wind has LTE.

The New Z Play is an excellent phone, if I trusted Lenovo I'd definitely consider it!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Wind has LTE.

The New Z Play is an excellent phone, if I trusted Lenovo I'd definitely consider it!

whoa
where? 
not in the GTA ?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

5 minutes ago, mok said:

I got my S6 a month after release for £200 cheaper than every store was selling them for :P

The Edge is still a fantastic phone

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 minutes ago, mok said:

whoa
where? 
not in the GTA ?

Vancouver has it, even in the tube. I'm surprised the GTA doesn't.

I get what you mean though. Their coverage in general is pretty shite.

I'm on Public Mobile, couldn't be happier. Just don't have the massive data plans.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 hours ago, masterkickass7 said:

Snip 

6 hours ago, mok said:

Snip

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

Snip

6 hours ago, mok said:

Snip

6 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Snip

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

Snip

Yeah the s7 edge is a great phone, Canadians get the Exynos which has killed most speed test and benchmarks. 

So my use case is here:

Spoiler

My usage is as followed: 
-Used the phone for calling,texting,social media, etc. 
-Media consumption using a 1440p screen for youtube, netflix, and some native HDR contant, music using lossless files with poweramp and music streaming with spotify 
-Heavy 3D games, emulators, and pokemon Go, etc. 
-Using hpc applications, loading compute payloads using otg, gnuroot to run workstation applications (programming, scripts, sensor data, machine vision, etc.); Use for on the go work but mostly a side/independant work 
-Using drafting application on native andriod and linux (part of the previous point) 
-Used fingerprint and iris scanner, SD card encryption, phone encryption during start up, secure folder, etc. 
-Used all samsung features 
-Listen to music using a 3.5mm jack at home and bt headphones on the go/gym 
-Taking pictures, videos, using slow mo (editing them to) 
-etc.

So, to summarize : I love media consumption and media capture with the phone, I use every feature my Note 7 has and I would love to use newer features to. Battery life should be well and I love expandable storage. I use my phone for emulators, Pokemon Go, other high graphic (for a phone that is) game, spotify, data storage and transfer (for my work files and such), and I do use some "High Performance" application on the phone such as Autocad, Matlab , gnuroot Debian and other analysis software and even computing by uploading payloads via usb otg (as a hobby and sometimes to complete work on the go). I also love using root access (but if I can get most root features without rooting the phone it be great). With all that, I also use the phone like any other person such as for social media, phone calls (omg I know :P), test messaging etc.
For the future: I would use Android wear/samsung gear s3, wireless charging, etc.

So something with great cpu and gpu performance will do. Also yeah I could get the phone anywhere. I was thinking the Samsung Experience store in Yorkdale.

Yeah its a shity situation. Also wind is getting lte by the end of the year in GTA but I get 4g atm so idk unless some phones can do 3g and lte but not 4g then it would default to 3g No?

Gah decisions decisions.

Also how did You get the s6 cheaper, maybe some online retailers have a deal ?

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

Why haven't you considered the V20? Seems to fit the bill for everything you do, and it's the same price as the s7e. Plus it comes with a really nice set of headphones.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

No, either get the Google Pixel or wait for the S8. I say get the newest phone availible at your time of upgrade, unless you really like one over the other, or if the newest blows up (Note 7)

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Why haven't you considered the V20? Seems to fit the bill for everything you do, and it's the same price as the s7e. Plus it comes with a really nice set of headphones.

I did check it out. Seen it really suck in performance, wasn't as fast as pixel or s7 edge. Also the camera lens shattering. And it wasnt amoled. My sister has a g4, don't like LG.

8 minutes ago, Maximoose said:

No, either get the Google Pixel or wait for the S8. I say get the newest phone availible at your time of upgrade, unless you really like one over the other, or if the newest blows up (Note 7)

I was considering the pixel till it lost the speed test to a 7 month old phone. Also I wish i couod but the only phone i have is my note 7 that I have to ship to Samsung so unless they allow me to wait till next summer..idk what I'll do. I'm still on the pixel waiting list =D

4 hours ago, EternalSeeker said:

Yeah the s7 edge is a great phone, Canadians get the Exynos which has killed most speed test and benchmarks. 

So my use case is here:

Reveal hidden contents

My usage is as followed: 
-Used the phone for calling,texting,social media, etc. 
-Media consumption using a 1440p screen for youtube, netflix, and some native HDR contant, music using lossless files with poweramp and music streaming with spotify 
-Heavy 3D games, emulators, and pokemon Go, etc. 
-Using hpc applications, loading compute payloads using otg, gnuroot to run workstation applications (programming, scripts, sensor data, machine vision, etc.); Use for on the go work but mostly a side/independant work 
-Using drafting application on native andriod and linux (part of the previous point) 
-Used fingerprint and iris scanner, SD card encryption, phone encryption during start up, secure folder, etc. 
-Used all samsung features 
-Listen to music using a 3.5mm jack at home and bt headphones on the go/gym 
-Taking pictures, videos, using slow mo (editing them to) 
-etc.

So, to summarize : I love media consumption and media capture with the phone, I use every feature my Note 7 has and I would love to use newer features to. Battery life should be well and I love expandable storage. I use my phone for emulators, Pokemon Go, other high graphic (for a phone that is) game, spotify, data storage and transfer (for my work files and such), and I do use some "High Performance" application on the phone such as Autocad, Matlab , gnuroot Debian and other analysis software and even computing by uploading payloads via usb otg (as a hobby and sometimes to complete work on the go). I also love using root access (but if I can get most root features without rooting the phone it be great). With all that, I also use the phone like any other person such as for social media, phone calls (omg I know :P), test messaging etc.
For the future: I would use Android wear/samsung gear s3, wireless charging, etc.

So something with great cpu and gpu performance will do. Also yeah I could get the phone anywhere. I was thinking the Samsung Experience store in Yorkdale.

Yeah its a shity situation. Also wind is getting lte by the end of the year in GTA but I get 4g atm so idk unless some phones can do 3g and lte but not 4g then it would default to 3g No?

Gah decisions decisions.

Also how did You get the s6 cheaper, maybe some online retailers have a deal ?

I bought it from an online store on eBay, everywhere here had it for like £599 and I paid £410, still brand new lol

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

23 hours ago, Maximoose said:

On 10/31/2016 at 10:23 PM, dizmo said:

19 hours ago, Jeffy said:

I would say that S7 edge is definitely a great option. Matching the caliber would certainly cost you more if you go for other options!

So both the pixel and the v20 lack usb host mode. Which i used on my phone, if only the s7 edge would work with ps3/4 and xbox controllers that be sick. 

20 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

I bought it from an online store on eBay, everywhere here had it for like £599 and I paid £410, still brand new lol

Damn!!! I think I am going ebay hunting, lets see if I can find a legit seller :P

49 minutes ago, EternalSeeker said:

So both the pixel and the v20 lack usb host mode. Which i used on my phone, if only the s7 edge would work with ps3/4 and xbox controllers that be sick. 

Damn!!! I think I am going ebay hunting, lets see if I can find a legit seller :P

Watch what you buy. A friend of mine bought a "Canada compatible" S6 Edge from a US seller.

When he got it, it doesn't actually support a lot of the LTE bands. He gets maybe 1 bar, 2 if he's lucky and it goes between LTE and 3G pretty frequently, while my Note5 stayed at a stable full LTE.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

No you should not. Samsung will soon be launching the 8-version. You should go for that one instead if you are eager to get a Galaxy Note. Maybe the performance and so and so are great but the price and the recent news about the battery thing aint justifying it enough to buy one at this time.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Watch what you buy. A friend of mine bought a "Canada compatible" S6 Edge from a US seller.

When he got it, it doesn't actually support a lot of the LTE bands. He gets maybe 1 bar, 2 if he's lucky and it goes between LTE and 3G pretty frequently, while my Note5 stayed at a stable full LTE.

Oh that sounds bad. Safest bet is to order from the Samsung Experience store probably. 

1 hour ago, bolding_peace said:

No you should not. Samsung will soon be launching the 8-version. You should go for that one instead if you are eager to get a Galaxy Note. Maybe the performance and so and so are great but the price and the recent news about the battery thing aint justifying it enough to buy one at this time.

I won't have a phone if I don't get something now. I have to still return my original note to Samsung..they have been pushing notifications every hour now.

3 hours ago, EternalSeeker said:

Oh that sounds bad. Safest bet is to order from the Samsung Experience store probably. 

I won't have a phone if I don't get something now. I have to still return my original note to Samsung..they have been pushing notifications every hour now.

I understand your situation. You should however be clear with them when you return your original note that you would like to have some consulting on when (if possible) a better options is available. Til then, like you mentioned earlier in the thread, the best offers could be found at Ebay if you have a causes eye.

12 hours ago, bolding_peace said:

I understand your situation. You should however be clear with them when you return your original note that you would like to have some consulting on when (if possible) a better options is available. Til then, like you mentioned earlier in the thread, the best offers could be found at Ebay if you have a causes eye.

19 hours ago, dizmo said:

So the pickle xl is 1179 for the 128 but only very silver is in stock. Both the s7 edge and v20 cost 999 plus tax so it's like 1128. The pickle and v20 lack ip68, usb host. The s7e has the super amoled but has a 8 core exynos (helpful for gnu root debian). So both cost in Canadian dollar are similar. The note 7 was 1100 plus tax.

7 minutes ago, EternalSeeker said:

So the pickle xl is 1179 for the 128 but only very silver is in stock. Both the s7 edge and v20 cost 999 plus tax so it's like 1128. The pickle and v20 lack ip68, usb host. The s7e has the super amoled but has a 8 core exynos (helpful for gnu root debian). So both cost in Canadian dollar are similar. The note 7 was 1100 plus tax.

Yeah, I know. I priced them out when they first came out as I was looking for a new phone.

It's $200 more than the other phones, and honestly I can't really see anything that justifies that premium over the others.

I can't remember if you ruled it out or not but have you considered the Moto Z?

The Xperia XZ is also an option if you don't mind the smaller screen.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

In the US anyway, the IPhone 7 plus is cheaper than the s7 edge. I went from Samsung to Apple and have no regrets. I find IOS so much smoother and refined than Android, especially with the bloatware laden monstrosity that is Samsung and Touchwiz.

I've found Apple has closed the gap with Samsung's one supposed advantage, their display, and actually prefer it over Samsung, as the color accuracy  of the IPhone 7 plus has been rated the highest ever tested, by a large margin. It's color accuracy is literally as close to perfect as you can make it. It doesn't look as vibrant as the s7 display, but I prefer realism over cartoony.

The A10 processor and GPU is so powerful combined with IOS that its almost worth buying the 7 plus solely as a handheld gaming device.

Plus the IPhone screen doesn't just spontaneously crack like the edge's. If Android is your thing there is always the Pixel XL, which looks like a Chinese iPhone 7 plus ripoff(only uglier), but supposedly has a software experience that comes closest to IOS, complete with a Google version of SIRI.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yeah, I know. I priced them out when they first came out as I was looking for a new phone.

It's $200 more than the other phones, and honestly I can't really see anything that justifies that premium over the others.

I can't remember if you ruled it out or not but have you considered the Moto Z?

The Xperia XZ is also an option if you don't mind the smaller screen.

Yeah I was with the note partially for the screen size! I never really considered the moto Z or the Xperia at all. 

Also i stand corrected the Pixel XL has usb host. 

3 hours ago, maizenblue said:

In the US anyway, the IPhone 7 plus is cheaper than the s7 edge. I went from Samsung to Apple and have no regrets. I find IOS so much smoother and refined than Android, especially with the bloatware laden monstrosity that is Samsung and Touchwiz.

I've found Apple has closed the gap with Samsung's one supposed advantage, their display, and actually prefer it over Samsung, as the color accuracy  of the IPhone 7 plus has been rated the highest ever tested, by a large margin. It's color accuracy is literally as close to perfect as you can make it. It doesn't look as vibrant as the s7 display, but I prefer realism over cartoony.

The A10 processor and GPU is so powerful combined with IOS that its almost worth buying the 7 plus solely as a handheld gaming device.

Plus the IPhone screen doesn't just spontaneously crack like the edge's. If Android is your thing there is always the Pixel XL, which looks like a Chinese iPhone 7 plus ripoff(only uglier), but supposedly has a software experience that comes closest to IOS, complete with a Google version of SIRI.

Most of my apps don't exist on iOS and I would need to jailbreak it, so thats why I didn't even consider it. 

Well shit, the pickle xl is out of stock again >.> I am heavily considering it or the s7e Now, if Sammy throws in freebies that be great! 

So the Samsung store let me have a 100 dollara off If i bought it unlocked (which was my plan) so i got the s7 edge with exynos soc