AIO meaning

Hello all - 

A noob question.

So I have been browsing around for some CPU coolers for my first build, and at one point I considered an AIO (all in one) cooler, but liquid coolers require more maintenance and are prone to leaks. So air it is.

Most of the water cooling builds I have seen use the all in ones, but during the building process I never see the radiator itself get filled up with water. Do AIO coolers come with coolant inside when you first purchase it or...? I thought AIOs were called AIO because they came with the pump, reservoir, etc but the liquid too...?

Do AIOs roll off the production line with liquid inside?

yes

For example, I got the H55 and all I had to do was mount it to me CPU.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I think your confusing a custom loop with a AIO. A H100i cooler from corsair is considered a AIO, its prefilled and everything, zero maintenance, you just mount it. A custom loop is where you buy the cpu block, reservoir, ect (and this si where the maintenance and prone to leaks is).

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

An AIO is fully assembled and maintenance free. All you have to do is install it.

Alnair (Main PC):

CPU: i9-7900X with EK Supremacy RGB and SE 360 radiator

RAM: 32 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 MHz

MB: Gigabyte X299 Gaming 7

GPU: GTX 1070 Founder’s Edition

PSU: EVGA 850 G3

SSD: WD Blue M.2 1tb, Sandisk SSD Plus 1tb

Mistle (NAS):

CPU: Pentium G3258 with stock cooler

RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1600 MHz

MB: MSI H81M-E33

GPU: Intel integrated 

PSU: 500w Cooler Master

HDD: 2 x 2tb WD Red in RAID 1

Armakarth (NAS/3D modeling station/my old computer)

CPU: i7-4790K with Hyper 212

RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1600 MHz

MB: MSI Z97-G45

GPU: EVGA GT 740 SC

PSU: 750W Sentey

SSD: Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB

HDD: 2 x 2tb WD Red in RAID 1, 2tb Seagate Barracuda, 1tb WD Blue

The Pizza Cooker (server):

2x quad core 2.66 ghz Xeons

16gb DDR2 FBDIMM

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

I think your confusing a custom loop with a AIO. A H100i cooler from corsair is considered a AIO, its prefilled and everything, zero maintenance, you just mount it. A custom loop is where you buy the cpu block, reservoir, ect (and this si where the maintenance and prone to leaks is).

Ah I see. So with an AIO you don't need to worry as much as a custom loop for leaks and such? I find it weird that they pre-fill it for you, but what can I say.

Just now, TheGermanEngie said:

Ah I see. So with an AIO you don't need to worry as much as a custom loop for leaks and such? I find it weird that they pre-fill it for you, but what can I say.

The whole idea is that they do everything for you, and you get a highly-effective cooler that you don't have to worry about leaking.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

The whole idea is that they do everything for you, and you get a highly-effective cooler that you don't have to worry about leaking.

Oh, great! H100i, here I come.

Thanks! :D

They are prefilled yes

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

They are pre-filled with liquid. The pump is on the CPU block. EK jsut released a new AIO system with a reservoir inside of the radiator and a pump in the CPU that has a quick disconnect slot on the tubing where you can add in more to your loop without bleeding or emptying the loop, just plug and play.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

17 minutes ago, TheGermanEngie said:

Oh, great! H100i, here I come.

Thanks! :D

What's your build and budget? Generally going to need a good reason for spending $100 on cooling rather than just getting a Hyper 212 EVO

usually for overclocking an X99 chip or for a small form factor build

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

What's your build and budget? Generally going to need a good reason for spending $100 on cooling rather than just getting a Hyper 212 EVO

usually for overclocking an X99 chip or for a small form factor build

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/d6yTr7 All the parts. Not spending more than $1200, and I'm planning to overclock to 4.4 - 4.6ghz or so. My previous CPU cooler that I wanted was the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3. 

1 minute ago, TheGermanEngie said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/d6yTr7 All the parts. Not spending more than $1200, and I'm planning to overclock to 4.4 - 4.6ghz or so. My previous CPU cooler that I wanted was the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3. 

One sec,

Also is your monitor just 1080p 60hz?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

One sec,

Also is your monitor just 1080p 60hz?

No. I am keeping my current monitor I have, which is 144hz.

7 minutes ago, TheGermanEngie said:

No. I am keeping my current monitor I have, which is 144hz.

Well in any case,

you can easily fit in an i7 6700K, or just go with the more economical part of the i7 6700, which I'd say is generally a better choice compared to an i5 K part due to the extra threads and lesser power requirement meaning you can get away with say a B150 board with solid power delivery, are you going to use any of the features of H170 or above? It's generally just extra I/O and PCI-e lanes

And a 1060 or 480 is not with $300

also why that case? It's a bit pricey, the Define S is pretty solid, has a windowed version as well, but that naturally makes it a bit louder than the foam side panel version, is your goal silence?

also far better overall PSU here

shaved $300 ish off the top without much loss in overall performance, mostly just single thread performance which overall doesn't matter too much unless you're trying to max out every game at 144fps which means a higher end GPU anyways

I take it you're mostly aiming for 144fps in things like CS:GO or Overwatch?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BRMdFd
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BRMdFd/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($293.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Mushkin ECO3 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4GB NITRO+ 4G Video Card  ($224.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $916.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-29 21:49 EDT-0400

although for overclocking an i5 6600K in a large case like that, just go for a Noctua cooler or something, but ya, performance per dollar yo.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Well in any case,

you can easily fit in an i7 6700K, or just go with the more economical part of the i7 6700, which I'd say is generally a better choice compared to an i5 K part due to the extra threads and lesser power requirement meaning you can get away with say a B150 board with solid power delivery, are you going to use any of the features of H170 or above? It's generally just extra I/O and PCI-e lanes

And a 1060 or 480 is not with $300

also why that case? It's a bit pricey, the Define S is pretty solid, has a windowed version as well, but that naturally makes it a bit louder than the foam side panel version, is your goal silence?

also far better overall PSU here

shaved $300 ish off the top without much loss in overall performance

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BRMdFd
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BRMdFd/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($293.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Mushkin ECO3 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4GB NITRO+ 4G Video Card  ($224.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $916.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-29 21:49 EDT-0400

although for overclocking an i5 6600K in a large case like that, just go for a Noctua cooler or something, but ya, performance per dollar yo.

I'm looking to overclock the i5 for gaming, I'm not much of a productivity kind of person. I like the aesthetics and included fans in the be quiet! case, (which are pretty good for default case fans). I think I'll stick with the be quiet! cooler because I don't like risking the leaks of the AIO, and it's only going to be a couple of degrees difference. Maybe I will change the mobo, but all the ones that are rated for overclocking performance just so happen to have the extra I/O and PCI-e lanes. Maybe I'll upgrade in the future. Time will tell. Still, thanks for the advice. 

1 minute ago, TheGermanEngie said:

I'm looking to overclock the i5 for gaming

Well sure, but do you have a very specific games that are heavily CPU limited and only support 4 threads that you're trying to hit 144fps in? That's not to mention that with DX12/Vulkan games should be moving to using 8 threads like they've now moved to using at least 4 threads.

because the i7 6700 is no slouch, only 10fps behind on avg vs the 6700K here at 4.6ghz, meaning about 10fps behind the i5 6600K after your OC in the games here that use only 4 treads which I imagine is most

Spoiler