Can't run 144hz on external monitor (Acer GN246HL)

Hey guys and gals, 

Firstly, I've searched all over the internet, and linustechtips.com, for a solution to my problem and, so far, haven't found it. I purchased a new laptop (MSI GS63VR) with a GTX 1060 GPU and figured I could run my 144hz 1080p Acer monitor as a second monitor. Unfortunately the monitor only has VGA, HDMI and DVI ports, so I started by using a MiniDP to dual link DVI-D cable and was unable to select 144hz for the external monitor's refresh rate in the windows display settings area (only 60hz was available from the drop down menu). I was also unable to change the refresh rate in the Nvidia Control Panel because 60hz and a few lower refresh rates were the only ones available. I then called MSI tech support and they said that I'd have to change the refresh rate from the Intel HD Graphics control panel. I opened the Intel HD Graphics control panel and there were no options to change the settings for an external monitor. The only monitor it recognized was the built-in display. They then said that it was because I was using an adapter cable MiniDP to dual link DVI-D and that I'd have to get an HDMI cable. I purchased an HDMI cable today that supports 4k 60hz and all the other new junk. I plugged it in and I'm still having the same problem. I cant change the refresh rate in Nvidia, or the windows display settings area and Intel HD Graphics still doesn't recognize the external monitor (there is no indication through intel hd graphics that there is an external monitor even attached). I would like to add that this monitor has been running at 144hz on my desktop through a straight dual link DVI-D cable for about a year. 

On to my question. What do I need to do to get this damn display up to 144hz? Am I boned since my Acer GN246HL doesn't have a display port? Does the GTX 1060 in my laptop support 144hz? 

Also, before someone brings this up, my laptop absolutely murders games at 1080p. I frequently get well over 100fps in the games that I play.

144hz works on a hdmi 1.4 cable in pretty sure or its ment to. 

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

I just got off the phone with Acer and they said it must be that the graphics card doesn't support 144hz. If that was true, I'd imagine that MSI would have told me that when I talked to them. Additionally the larger 17.3" GS73VR with the same GTX 1060 has a factory option for a 120hz 1080p display.

1 hour ago, Onaginata said:

Hey guys and gals, 

Firstly, I've searched all over the internet, and linustechtips.com, for a solution to my problem and, so far, haven't found it. I purchased a new laptop (MSI GS63VR) with a GTX 1060 GPU and figured I could run my 144hz 1080p Acer monitor as a second monitor. Unfortunately the monitor only has VGA, HDMI and DVI ports, so I started by using a MiniDP to dual link DVI-D cable and was unable to select 144hz for the external monitor's refresh rate in the windows display settings area (only 60hz was available from the drop down menu). I was also unable to change the refresh rate in the Nvidia Control Panel because 60hz and a few lower refresh rates were the only ones available. I then called MSI tech support and they said that I'd have to change the refresh rate from the Intel HD Graphics control panel. I opened the Intel HD Graphics control panel and there were no options to change the settings for an external monitor. The only monitor it recognized was the built-in display. They then said that it was because I was using an adapter cable MiniDP to dual link DVI-D and that I'd have to get an HDMI cable. I purchased an HDMI cable today that supports 4k 60hz and all the other new junk. I plugged it in and I'm still having the same problem. I cant change the refresh rate in Nvidia, or the windows display settings area and Intel HD Graphics still doesn't recognize the external monitor (there is no indication through intel hd graphics that there is an external monitor even attached). I would like to add that this monitor has been running at 144hz on my desktop through a straight dual link DVI-D cable for about a year. 

On to my question. What do I need to do to get this damn display up to 144hz? Am I boned since my Acer GN246HL doesn't have a display port? Does the GTX 1060 in my laptop support 144hz? 

Also, before someone brings this up, my laptop absolutely murders games at 1080p. I frequently get well over 100fps in the games that I play.

Since the monitor does not have a DisplayPort input, you must use either Dual-Link DVI or HDMI.

If you don't have a Dual-Link DVI output on your computer, there is no way to get one with passive adapters. DisplayPort and HDMI are only capable of adapting to Single-Link DVI. There is no such thing as a passive DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter. Although most DP/HDMI to DVI adapters are labeled as "Dual-Link", this is false advertisement.

HDMI may or may not work. Usually 144 Hz won't show up as an option unless you set a custom resolution. Use this utility to do it: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Thanks for the tip. I tried out CRU but I can't get the new/edited resolutions to show up in display settings. What does that mean?

I did not restart the computer but I did restart my graphics driver via the utility. I just made the changes again and restarted my computer and there is no change. I still cannot select anything other than 60hz.

15 minutes ago, Onaginata said:

I did not restart the computer but I did restart my graphics driver via the utility. I just made the changes again and restarted my computer and there is no change. I still cannot select anything other than 60hz.

Hmm. Did you follow all the notes in the utility thread? Including:

• Standard resolutions are limited to 60-123 Hz. Use detailed resolutions to add other refresh rates.
  • NVIDIA users must choose "Custom extension block" for custom resolutions to work properly.

• Single-link DVI and HDMI are limited to 165 MHz pixel clock (1080p 60 Hz) unless the video driver is patched: NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher

I set up an additional detailed resolution of 1920x1080 144hz and a standard resolution of 1920x1080 120hz on all of the available monitors in the list, including the "active" monitor. I set them all to custom extension block and used the utility to reset the driver. I did not; however, install the pixel clock patcher. Trying the patcher now. 

I applied the pixel clock patcher and was able to set my external display to 144hz. I restarted my computer and the display didn't receive a signal.

Lame, I suppose I'll have to get a monitor with a display port. 

• 11 months later...

Does anyone know if a genuine active DP to DVI-D will carry a 144 hz signal?