FPS and CPU usage drops in all games randomly

I've been having this problem for a while now, but left it be, now it got really annoying. With all games I play, FPS drops along with the CPU usage. For example, I'm playing BeamNG Drive, at 70fps, 37% cpu usage and 50 celcius. Then the fps drops to 15, the cpu usage to 9% and cpu temp to 30 celcius (idle). Same thing with all other games but just different fps, cpu usages and temps. Attached are some info on temps and voltages with both low and high fps-also task manager. 

I have: 

Ran memtest-no errors. 

Ran Prime95 stress test for 2 hours-no errors. 

Reinstalled windows on brand new SSD

Replaced hard drive

Cleared CMOS

Made sure all connectors are not loose in PC. 

Put in my friends GPU in (only got even worse performence and fps)

Specs: 

Windows 10 Home

AMD FX8350 @4GHZ -stock cooler 

MSI 960 4G Gaming GPU

Kingston HyperX Fury (2x4gb) @1866

MSI 970 Gaming MB

Corsair CX750M PSU

Samsung 750 EVO 250gb SSD (Windows drive)

Western Digital Blue 1tb HDD- for less played games. 

Hope this info can help you help me.? 

Thanks 

High FPS: 

high fps.png

Low FPS: 

low fps.png

Update your drivers.

Check your temps while playing

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

2 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Update your drivers.

Check your temps while playing

Ahh yes forgot to mention. 

All drivers are updated to latest. 

Temps seem fine while playing- never above 70celcius for CPU and 60 for CPU. 

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Also i experience this weird windows lag when selecting multiple icons on the desktop the blue rectangle becomes very laggy. Same thing happens when browsing folders with lots of items in them. During those times windows feels like it's running at 10fps.

Is your CPU overclocked at all?

If not, there is probably some malware

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Just now, UberGamerKing said:

Is your CPU overclocked at all?

If not, there is probably some malware

CPU not overclocked. 

Ran Malware bytes and CCleaner. 

Malware bytes found no malware and CCleaner did its thing.

5 minutes ago, raphidy said:

After it drops, does it come up again? Or you have to restart the game?

Have you check power option of windows, nvidia and adjust them to performance?

Try Windows 7,8 or else to see if that happens only on W10.

Yes it does go up again after it drops, but it's random. 

If this is what you mean I've set power options in windows to high performence. 

Try windows 7: Ok I will try to. 

Hm, no disk activity to speak of, no extra memory burden, no overheating, no nothing, just a dip in performance. Very odd... One thing you could try is turning off AMD Cool'n'Quiet in your BIOS, or going to Power Options->Change plan settings->Change advanced power settings->Processor power management, and setting minimum processor state to 100% to disable the CPU clock-down.

From there, my suggestion would be to run LatencyMon to see if it can capture some data and see if something's causing hard pagefaults or some kind of DPC issue while the game is running. If you export the view and attach/upload it somewhere we can read it, it might be possible for us to determine what's going on. I'd also recommend checking the System log in Event Viewer around the time the lag spikes happen to see if there's any weirdness going on there, as well.

3 hours ago, Runefox said:

Hm, no disk activity to speak of, no extra memory burden, no overheating, no nothing, just a dip in performance. Very odd... One thing you could try is turning off AMD Cool'n'Quiet in your BIOS, or going to Power Options->Change plan settings->Change advanced power settings->Processor power management, and setting minimum processor state to 100% to disable the CPU clock-down.

From there, my suggestion would be to run LatencyMon to see if it can capture some data and see if something's causing hard pagefaults or some kind of DPC issue while the game is running. If you export the view and attach/upload it somewhere we can read it, it might be possible for us to determine what's going on. I'd also recommend checking the System log in Event Viewer around the time the lag spikes happen to see if there's any weirdness going on there, as well.

Okay. 

Is 19celcius idle on desktop a reasonable temp for stock cooler AMD cpu? Seems a little too low even for idle. 

Anyway, the export view option was greyed out so instead I copied/screenshoted the different tabs there were. All files are in the Google Drive link below. 

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7CKnQor5Z96N09DWlE4ZTZrbXM

Also I found no errors/criticals in event viewer during the time i tested in game. 

Thanks for the help. 

Hmm. The only thing that looks particularly weird here is NVidia Web Helper's page faults. You could try closing GeForce Experience to see if that makes a difference, but one thing I did notice was that it's showing your display driver version as 373.06; The latest is 375.70. Might want to make sure of which version you're on.

4 minutes ago, Runefox said:

Hmm. The only thing that looks particularly weird here is NVidia Web Helper's page faults. You could try closing GeForce Experience to see if that makes a difference, but one thing I did notice was that it's showing your display driver version as 373.06; The latest is 375.70. Might want to make sure of which version you're on.

Thing is, GeForce Experience isn't running because you cannot run it without an internet connection. That moves on to the fact why i haven't got the latest drivers: http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/uxbridge-west-drayton-internet-outage-12076484

I've chosen the best time ? 

Using my phones Internet to post here and download the troubleshooting programs I need, transfer them onto my PC and run them on my PC. Then screenshot the results and transfer the screenshots back onto my phone and post them. 

4 minutes ago, MrSuper said:

Thing is, GeForce Experience isn't running because you cannot run it without an internet connection. That moves on to the fact why i haven't got the latest drivers: http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/uxbridge-west-drayton-internet-outage-12076484

I've chosen the best time ? 

Using my phones Internet to post here and download the troubleshooting programs I need, transfer them onto my PC and run them on my PC. Then screenshot the results and transfer the screenshots back onto my phone and post them. 

... Almost a week. Wow. I'm so sorry.

... That said, NVidia Web Helper is associated with GeForce Experience. I wonder... Could it not being able to access the internet have something to do with it? What if you uninstalled GeForce Experience altogether to test?

22 minutes ago, Runefox said:

... Almost a week. Wow. I'm so sorry.

... That said, NVidia Web Helper is associated with GeForce Experience. I wonder... Could it not being able to access the internet have something to do with it? What if you uninstalled GeForce Experience altogether to test?

I've killed the task in task manager. Still low fps. I will try to uninstall GeForce experience when I get Internet back, because downloading the installer onto my phone won't download the full installed because it still downloads some stuff when the installer is opened which i cannot do on my phone.

Also, i get fairly frequent freeze ups with the noise attached. Normally i would expect a bluesceen after that but it always recovers. 

Voice_161028.3gp

On your screenshots during your 'low fps' times it seems as though your processor is stepping down it's speed quite a lot. Have you got cool n quiet, c6 or anything else like that enabled in the bios? Generally speaking as well you should really look in to getting the AMD wraith cooler over your stock one at minimum as it will do a better job cooling and contain the temp spikes that cpu is prone to.

9 hours ago, ThatOCguy said:

On your screenshots during your 'low fps' times it seems as though your processor is stepping down it's speed quite a lot. Have you got cool n quiet, c6 or anything else like that enabled in the bios? Generally speaking as well you should really look in to getting the AMD wraith cooler over your stock one at minimum as it will do a better job cooling and contain the temp spikes that cpu is prone to.

Cool n Quiet was set to auto. I now set it to disabled. 

Core C6 State was enabled now I set it to disabled. 

The only other thing i saw enabled in CPU features in BIOS was SVM mode.i left that enabled because i didn't know what it does. 

Tested two games and there is no improvement. CPU usage still spiking up giving good fps. One thing I did notice is louder coil whine. Don't know if this is relavent or not. 

EDIT: 

Seems like the CPU Usage stays high for longer. Same with the FPS. I loaded into a game, low fps for the first 2 minutes then jumped to 70 and stayed at 70 for a good 10 minutes and dropped down for a minute and went back up. 

Edited by MrSuper

11 hours ago, ThatOCguy said:

One of the options i disabled must have fixed it. No desktop lag anymore, no fps drops and no freeze ups. Everything seems good. If it starts happening again i will get back to this post. 

And... We're back to 30/20fps. CPU speed dropped from 4.00GHz to 1.3GHz. 2 minutes later back up to 4GHz and 70fps. Mainly the FPS is good but it's really annoying when it drops randomly like that. It must be something with the CPU. Anyone recommend RMA it? 

Using HWMonitor, CPU VCORE is at 0.912V when I have low fps. When i have high fps it's 1.352V. Power supply? 

1 hour ago, MrSuper said:

Using HWMonitor, CPU VCORE is at 0.912V when I have low fps. When i have high fps it's 1.352V. Power supply? 

Stock voltage on the FX8350 is 1.375V; Try setting your vcore manually in the OC section of your BIOS to prevent the system auto-adjusting it, or see if there's a "standard" setting instead of an auto one. You might also want to try disabling XMP while you're in there just to be sure.

1 hour ago, Runefox said:

Stock voltage on the FX8350 is 1.375V; Try setting your vcore manually in the OC section of your BIOS to prevent the system auto-adjusting it, or see if there's a "standard" setting instead of an auto one. You might also want to try disabling XMP while you're in there just to be sure.

There was no XMP option I could find in the bios. 

I set the CPU voltage offset to +0.450000 as I couldn't be able to find a standard option. 

CPU VCORE now showed up as 1.384V however whilst running Prime95 task manager showed no higher than 34% CPU utilization, temps were a warm 56C and clock speed was 1.5ghz (maximum showed as 4.0ghz) then the system rebooted. 

EDIT: 

I've now put the CPU voltage back to auto because system kept crashing. 

Edited by MrSuper

13 minutes ago, MrSuper said:

There was no XMP option I could find in the bios. 

I set the CPU voltage offset to +0.450000 as I couldn't be able to find a standard option. 

CPU VCORE now showed up as 1.384V however whilst running Prime95 task manager showed no higher than 34% CPU utilization, temps were a warm 56C and clock speed was 1.5ghz (maximum showed as 4.0ghz) then the system rebooted. 

EDIT: 

I've now put the CPU voltage back to auto because system kept crashing. 

This is the kind of thing i get when running prime95. Should be at 100% usage and 4ghz but as you can see its not. 

Looks like those things doctors use to measure heart rate ? my computer is dying? 

20161029_161117.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2016 at 4:14 PM, MrSuper said:

This is the kind of thing i get when running prime95. Should be at 100% usage and 4ghz but as you can see its not. 

Looks like those things doctors use to measure heart rate ? my computer is dying? 

20161029_161117.jpg

Have you disabled TurboCore? Download AMD overdrive and turn it off from there, also in your power settings go to plan settings then advanced look at processor power management and set the min and max state to 100% also on system cooling policy change it to active if its set to passive. That should force your cpu to it's max speed all the time, see if that works and let me know

Turned off Turbocore. Set the power settings accordingly. Got a brand new PSU. Same problem.