Would it be enough??

Hey guys i am a newb on editing and will be doing so in the near future, Currently i have a

I5 - 4460 at 3.2 - 3.4 ghz
GTX 960 2GB
16 GB ram
1TB WD blue
275GB MX 300 SSD
all running on a ASUS B-85 pro gamer MOBO

would this be enough for entry level video editing / Photoshop ? mostly only upto 1080p 60 fps reso on vids.
thoughts and tips would be appreciated :)

sure it'll be enough. You can always get better hardware when you are more advanced in the programm and need more power. But for a start that should do.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

thanks man, was a bit concerned there since cash is running low, thought i would need to upgrade right away.. but of course it is on the plan to grab me a i7 6700k new set up when shit gets serious and moves to 4k reso :) maybe Xeon workstation if it really gets into a moneymaking project :D Thanks again

this i way more than enough for now as your projects get bigger you will know exactly what you need (more cpu cores, more gpu ram, etc.) but this is a great start and way better than my first editing rig :)

Source: 4 years of TV/Video Production

For video processing, no way should you be looking at Intel, AMD is the only way to go with your setup/budget.

The AMD FX-8350 will always beat the Intel I5 4460 in video processing, by a margin of at least 20% (H.264 @1080p @level 4.1). That will save you literally hours on each project (assuming 100 min per each individual video & reasonable bitrates).

Video benefits from the AMDs 8 cores (for the pedantic, 4 cores, 8 threads), and the 8350 will leave the 4460 for dust! 

The upsides of AMD

Cheaper

Quicker

The downsides of AMD

Single core performance is bad, & the 4460 will always give at least 20% better performance in games (often much more), which do not take advantage of AMD's mutli-thread chips.

The downsides of both

They are both 'end of life' products. AMDs new Zen chips will be out in less than 3 months. Intel's new iteration (Kabylake) will be out at the same time, and in about 9 months Intel launches it's new generation Cannonlake.

All 3 new CPUs will push the prices of both the 8350 & 4460 down (substantially), as they simply won't be able to compete with the new chips.

My advice:

Wait until January, get either of the above systems much much cheaper! Or of you can't wait, get AMD!

1 minute ago, Gordon Bennett said:

For video processing, no way should you be looking at Intel, AMD is the only way to go with your setup/budget.

The AMD FX-8350 will always beat the Intel I5 4460 in video processing, by a margin of at least 20% (H.264 @1080p @level 4.1). That will save you literally hours on each project (assuming 100 min video & reasonable bitrates).

Video benefits from the AMDs 8 cores (for the pedantic, 4 cores, 8 threads), and the 8350 will leave the 4460 for dust! 

The upsides of AMD

Cheaper

Quicker

The downsides of AMD

Single core performance is bad, & the 4460 will always give at least 20% better performance in games (often much more), which do not take advantage of AMD's mutli-thread chips.

The downsides of both

They are both 'end of life' products. AMDs new Zen chips will be out in less than 3 months. Intel's new iteration (Kabylake) will be out at the same time, and in about 9 months Intel launches it's new generation Cannonlake.

All 3 new CPUs will push the prices of both the 8350 & 4460 by a substantial margin, as they simply won't be able to compete with the new chips.

My advice:

Wait until January, get either of the above systems much much cheaper! Or of you can't wait, get AMD!

yes but the 4460 will be good enough for starting, theres no sense it spending another $150 on another cpu plus who knows how much for a different MOBO because of the socket. what im getting at is it will work fine for just getting into the sport

6 minutes ago, DanTheActualMan said:

yes but the 4460 will be good enough for starting"

No way! The I5 4460 is socket 1150 & uses DDR3. The upgrade to the I7 is a pipedream, which you're supporting? That upgrade is impossible, so your logic is as good as your maths! Especially as the AMD system is going to be cheaper, so how on earth you figure it will be more expensive is as much of a mystery as  the recommendation to spend more on a system that will take longer to do the same things!

The O/P says he wants to upgrade to an I7 6700, that's Socket 1151 & uses DDR4, so an upgrade will require the replacement of the MoBo & memory too!

Unless going straight to an I7 now, the only way to go for video is an FX-8350, which is also cheaper!

Edited by Gordon Bennett
To show the upgrade is not possible!

8 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

The AMD FX-8350 will always beat the Intel I5 4460 in video processing, by a margin of at least 20% (H.264 @1080p @level 4.1). That will save you literally hours on each project (assuming 100 min per each individual video & reasonable bitrates).

The upsides of AMD

Cheaper

Quicker

The downsides of AMD

The downsides of both

All 3 new CPUs will push the prices of both the 8350 & 4460 down (substantially), as they simply won't be able to compete with the new chips.

My advice:

uhh the whole thing is already built.. not building a new one right now :) thanks for the input anyway
and yeah i know how build a PC man, sockets and upgrades paths and all just asking for the video editing part "can it run"

building a whole new rig maybe in 6 months anyway :) 

I7 6700k
Z170 mobo
32gb ram
some drives and an ssd of course
still waiting what Vega and Zen has too offer :)

1 minute ago, Gordon Bennett said:

No way! The I5 4460 is socket 1150 & uses DDR3. The upgrade to the I7 is a pipedream, which you're supporting? That upgrade is impossible, so your logic is as good as your maths! Especially as the AMD system is going to be cheaper, so how on earth you figure it will be more expensive is as much of a mystery as  the recommendation to spend more on a system that will take longer to do the same things!

relax man i said in the future if his projects get bigger than yes upgrading to an i7 with a different motherboard would be great, so would switching to an AMD. im trying to save him money by saying that what he has now is fine

You'll be fine for just starting out. It might be a little slow going at times, especially with 1080p/60fps footage, but it will also depend on the bitrate of that source video as well. I started editing my personal video stuff on a laptop (i5-460M @ 2.53ghz, 8GB RAM, nVidia 310M, 640GB HDD and a bunch of external USB HDD's) you'll be fine. Take the time to learn the editor you're using and finding a workflow that works for you. The only thing faster/more expensive hardware does is expedite the process (rendering, encoding, etc).

9 minutes ago, calvin_boombox said:

uhh the whole thing is already built.. not building a new one right now :) thanks for the input anyway
and yeah i know how build a PC man, sockets and upgrades paths and all just asking for the video editing part "can it run"

building a whole new rig maybe in 6 months anyway :) 

I7 6700k
Z170 mobo
32gb ram
some drives and an ssd of course
still waiting what Vega and Zen has too offer :)

Not sure the point of the question, "can it run". You can process video on any PC. Not sure about the rest though. You made some bad choices for video processing, but hey its your money! O.o

Just now, Gordon Bennett said:

Not sure the point of the question, "can it run". You can process video on any PC. Not sure about the rest though. You made some bad choices for video processing, but hey its your money! O.o

it started as a 1080p gaming rig 2 years ago :) worked fine for my games, then small scale Film projects will be starting this month so yeah was wondering if it would be decent enough to run editing :D 

4 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

You'll be fine for just starting out. It might be a little slow going at times, especially with 1080p/60fps footage, but it will also depend on the bitrate of that source video as well. I started editing my personal video stuff on a laptop (i5-460M @ 2.53ghz, 8GB RAM, nVidia 310M, 640GB HDD and a bunch of external USB HDD's) you'll be fine. Take the time to learn the editor you're using and finding a workflow that works for you. The only thing faster/more expensive hardware does is expedite the process (rendering, encoding, etc).

thanks man, yeah was a bit worried for those 1080p 60fps ones for now.. hopefully soon i'll be able to create my workstation PC for bigger projects , thanks for the input :) 

6 minutes ago, calvin_boombox said:

thanks man, yeah was a bit worried for those 1080p 60fps ones for now.. hopefully soon i'll be able to create my workstation PC for bigger projects , thanks for the input :) 

Sure thing. It really depends on the codec that the 1080p/60fps is in. If you can, put that source footage on the SSD for editing. It doesn't have to live there, but for working with it, the SSD will make it a little bit faster.