Help with Dell PowerEdge R710

I'm having problems with a Dell Power edge R710, It was working with 2 quad cores and 40GB of ram. I then put two X5670 in it, and filled up all the dims with 4 GB server ram sticks, and now its just flashing, the little display is flashing, power button flashing, and HDD bays flashing, no beeping or anything, it's just turning on and then turning off. before I start taking it apart ram stick by ram stick does any one know what this could be? Heres a video (hopfully that works):

DSCN3254.MOV

1. Do you know if the X5670's were function to begin with.

2. Does the current BIOS version support those chips?

3. Normally bad RAM will result in a repeated beep code.

That's about all I got.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

1. Do you know if the X5670's were function to begin with.

2. Does the current BIOS version support those chips?

3. Normally bad RAM will result in a repeated beep code.

That's about all I got.

Good point, I took the extra ram and CPUs out of an IBM server, the RAM had IBM stickers on it but it was made by Samsung, I guess i could take it all out and just test 1 processor and stick of ram. Did that video work? (for future reverence)

2 minutes ago, impledob said:

Did that video work? (for future reverence)

Yeah I guess but I didn't watch it until after I posted.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Which power supplies are you using?

IIRC, you need the higher wattage PSU (870w?) for dual.

Otherwise, it's likely a ram issue.  What are the specs of the memory you used?

1 minute ago, Dark said:

Which power supplies are you using?

IIRC, you need the higher wattage PSU (870w?) for dual.

I got two 870 watts, i mean it worked fine with the two 4 cores in them.

1 minute ago, impledob said:

I got two 870 watts, i mean it worked fine with the two 4 cores in them.

Then it's almost certainly memory.

What are the dimm specs?

4 minutes ago, Dark said:

Then it's almost certainly memory.

What are the dimm specs?

I took out all of the RAM that i had put in, now it only has confirmed working RAM and it's still doing the same thing.  processor or motherboard doesn't like the 6 cores?

12 minutes ago, impledob said:

I took out all of the RAM that i had put in, now it only has confirmed working RAM and it's still doing the same thing.  processor or motherboard doesn't like the 6 cores?

Most likely the bios only has support for the older 55xx xeons, you may need to update the bios for the 56xx xeons.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

*edit*  I recently sold a few R710's, one of which was configured with dual X5670's.

Just now, SLAYR said:

Most likely the bios only has support for the older 55xx xeons, you may need to update the bios for the 56xx xeons.

o boy, that sounds annoying, any idea on how i would go about doing that or any guides you know of so you don't have to type it all out?

o boy, that sounds annoying, any idea on how i would go about doing that or any guides you know of so you don't have to type it all out?

You'll have to remove both X5670's and install atleast 1 of the previous working processors.

1 minute ago, Dark said:

You'll have to remove both X5670's and install atleast 1 of the previous working processors.

actually, do you think 2 E5645 6 cores would work? because i have 2 of those. I got over like 60 1366 processors.

Put the old working cpu in it, and the manual should tell you how to update it, usually it involves downloading the new bios on a usb drive, and flashing that onto the bios chip.

Here is the bios you should need.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=4HKX2&fileId=3287625347&osCode=WS8R2&productCode=poweredge-r710&languageCode=en&categoryId=BI

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, impledob said:

actually, do you think 2 E5645 6 cores would work? because i have 2 of those. I got over like 60 1366 processors.

I would assume not if SLAYR's comment on his only recognizing 55xx series chips before the bios update.

2 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Put the old working cpu in it, and the manual should tell you how to update it, usually it involves downloading the new bios on a usb drive, and flashing that onto the bios chip.

Here is the bios you should need.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=4HKX2&fileId=3287625347&osCode=WS8R2&productCode=poweredge-r710&languageCode=en&categoryId=BI

I don't have the manual, people just give us 1366 servers for scrap (i work at a computer recycling center) and i try to put some together and re sell them.

I don't have the manual, people just give us 1366 servers for scrap (i work at a computer recycling center) and i try to put some together and re sell them.

You can find almost anything on the internet today.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/poweredge-r710/manuals

Make sure to use the right ram in the right slots.

Server can be very picky about how you arrange the ram. I'm pretty sure you had to follow a certain order in how you fill them up depending on what rank of ram you use (when mixing single, dual and quad rank modules) - atleast thats how it was on older Dell server.

It should be a special topic in your manual.

And as others already asked, what kind of ram was it using? and what type did you try to put in with the new CPUs?

Not all ECC Ram is the same. There are UDIMM and RDIMM and even they got different kinds. You should not mix 2Rx4 with 2Rx8 for example

I know it might sound cliche, but are you grounding yourself before handling all that memory? Try with just 2 sticks in the proper slots. Refer to the manual to know which slots to fill. It really sounds like RAM.

On 10/20/2016 at 1:12 PM, impledob said:

With the r710, there were 2 gens, one supported low power chip, and the second supported the highpower six cores, You need the second gen.