My first petition, and its regarding the recent TotalBiscuit fiasco, any thoughts?

Ethnod

So I have never done this before but tbh I have seen waay too many of these take-downs lately and its starting to bother me. Seems anyone, regardless of if they have legitimacy or not, can take down a video. Ok, that take-down may not stick but the current system is a crazy automated system and its broken so I am hoping to have it changed. 

I would love any thoughts, critiques, additions, changes, tweaks, suggestions any of you have to improve the campaign and also if you want to sign and share well that is even better tbh

Oh and here is a prime example of what I was talking about
q54OPwT.jpg

Petition:

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/youtube-com-youtube-google-please-replace-current-copyright-claim-system-and-protect-free-speech

Youtube's current Copyright claim system is rife with abuse.

Youtube's current system is automated and as a result has the potential for abused by copyright holders who do not like Youtube content that may reflect badly on their products.

Specifically what are we talking about?
DMCA copyright takedown (or the OCILLA) refers to when a copyright holder, for example Nintendo, requests from Youtube that a video be taken down as it infringes on their copyright. Something that they have a perfect right to do but, as commented above, is being abused in some cases.

Is there a short version?
The idea here is not to allow people to freely infringe on copyrights but to ensure that the current broken system cannot be used any more to block critical thoughts and expressions of free speech.

So what has sparked this petition arriving now? 
TotalBiscuit aka The Cynical Brit, who is Youtube's number one Game Critic (with 1,284,412 subscribers currently) had a recent video taken offline by Youtube. Why you ask? Well here is a little information. 
The game in question is "Day One: Garry's Incident" and TotalBiscuit requested a reviewer code explaining what he would be doing (a standard email letter he send out to 100's of games all the time) and also showing the kind of content. The resulting review (well more a first look) was very critical. So what was the reason given? well the official reason is "We protected our copyright because Total Biscuit has no right to make advertising revenues with our license." However there are many other videos who are monetising reviews or first impressions of their game but none were as popular or were the number one search result on Youtube for this game. Also the CEO has already given blanket permission to do exactly this. 

Ok so this petition is not just about this incident, this incident has just sparked some outrage and a lot of coverage, some which you can see here:

http://kotaku.com/studio-accused-of-blocking-youtube-vid-over-criticism-1448796126
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2013/10/21/youtube-personality-totalbiscuit-claims-day-one-garrys-incident-dev-made-copyright-claim-#.UmXMRPmbPTg
http://www.reddit.com/r/Cynicalbrit/comments/1otlnh/wtf_is_day_one_garrys_incident_the_video_is_no/
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67346-totalbiscuit-and-wild-games-studio-problem/
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128860-Day-One-Garrys-Incident-Devs-Accused-of-Censoring-Bad-Review
http://www.incgamers.com/2013/10/day-one-garrys-incident-angers-critics

Regarding TotalBiscuit, they have officially apologised (read that here) but actually this is not the first incident of this, actually its quite common and I will be posting up some Youtuber's videos (once I have their permission) views on this but to be honest you just simply have to google this issue to realise it is extremely prevalent  The current system is not only automated but it is very heavily weighed in favour of the copyright holder and while you would want that, to be honest, not to this level, let me explain.

Currently almost anyone can execute a DMCA take down of a video for any reason (even false ones) and the video comes down automatically. That then can be fought by the Youtuber but as long as that person holds the Copyright they can just takedown stays if they want it to. There is no review of this from Youtube in any way shape or form. Why is this so bad? Because ANYONE can just claim copyright infringement on any vdieo they do not like an effectively stamp out any criticism of their property and this has a huge effect on free speech. Also due to Youtube's 3 strikes policy and lack of customer service response or interest in this automated system 100's of youtubers have had their accounts closed and are unable to do anything about this.

Personally I use Youtube a lot, I don't even have a TV any more and most of my entertainment and time watching "TV" is spent doing so on Youtube. If TotalBiscuit's content was suddenly to disappear from Youtube I would loose so much of what I watch. TotalBiscuit makes a good living from Youtube and his viewers, and so he should, and he is not alone, people like Nerd Cubed and Boogle2988 also make a living from this system and if their livelihood can be taken away in the blink of an eye that is just a crazy system.

What do I propose? Well I will update this with any great ideas, suggestions or tweeks you give me but:

1. Firstly change the 3 strikes system to 3 strikes from different copyright infringements, ie ensure that the same person cannot take a channel in 5 mins. This would ensure that people who were a problem when it comes to Copyright issues would be dealt with but those who just have 3 videos on the same subject get a reprieve.
  2. Introduce a system where by if there is a DMCA takedown is fought by the Youtuber there would be some kind of review by Youtube
  3. Introduce a system where copyright holders get strikes against them where if they have used false claims or claims are over tuned too many times they loose the ability to conduct automatic take downs.
  4. Introduce some sort of penalty system for Youtubers and Copyright Holders who abuse these systems to ensure that the false claims are reduced.

The idea here is not to allow people to freely infringe on copyrights but to ensure that the current broken system cannot be used any more to block critical thoughts and expressions of free speech.

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Good idea

very-good-sir-very-good-indeed.jpg

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

my only issue is that sega also took out videos claiming copyright so the new trailer for the game could get at the top of the search results, so it's not just with a product being bad

also, why are you petitioning Dara Robinson?

I will sign. I thought the video TB made was very powerful. 

Will 100 supporters really do anything though? 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

my only issue is that sega also took out videos claiming copyright so the new trailer for the game could get at the top of the search results, so it's not just with a product being bad

also, why are you petitioning Dara Robinson?

You are right man, Do you have any links to articles I am researching that side of it now to update the petition with that info as well

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Good idea, but I'm not sure 100 signatures will get much done... is there a way to increase it? 

I'm not sure how the site works.  :wacko:

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

I will sign. I thought the video TB made was very powerful.

Waiting for his permission. Nerd Cubed ones is also great and also waiting for his permission

Good idea, but I'm not sure 100 signatures will get much done... is there a way to increase it? 

I'm not sure how the site works.  :wacko:
It increases over time. the more signatures the higher that number gets. Its automatic

Waiting for his permission. Nerd Cubed ones is also great and also waiting for his permission

Where is this nerd cube one my good sir

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

It increases over time. the more signatures the higher that number gets. Its automatic

Ohhh okay, I get it.

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

You are right man, Do you have any links to articles I am researching that side of it now to update the petition with that info as well

he discussed it in his video

Well, Change.org thinks I have 170 friends... seems a bit optimistic.

FX 8320@4.1Ghz, Noctua NH-D14, MSI 7870@1050Mhz, 8 GB 1600 MHz, M5A97 LE R2.0, NZXT H440, CX500M

Your rights matter because you never know when you are going to need them.

-Edward Snowden

he discussed it in his video

I was hoping for Gaming news articles 

They should change the automation (they're google, of course they can spare some money for workers who simply go through claims), but you can't completely get rid of copyright claims.

Sure, it's bad business to file claims for bad criticism, but it is their content and they should be able to do what they want with it.

I personally do not think a petition will do anything at all. YouTube/Google is too worried about themselves to save the people who make videos as a career.

CPU: i5 3570k @ 3.4 GHz      RAMKingston HyperX Grey Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)      MOBO: ASRock Z77E-ITX  

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 1060 6GB     HDD's: WD Caviar Blue 1TB  

PSUSilverStone Strider ST50F-P 500W       Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black)    

Great man, I also found a few more and I just updated the petition. Cheers :)

welcome

Great man, I also found a few more and I just updated the petition. Cheers :)

wait, still noticed, you are still petitioning yourself :P

wait, still noticed, you are still petitioning yourself :P

lol Seems I cant change the data inside until I add someone. 

Funny thing is I have no idea who this should be going to. Any ideas?

lol Seems I cant change the data inside until I add someone. 

Funny thing is I have no idea who this should be going to. Any ideas?

head of youtube (if that's even a thing)

I was hoping for Gaming news articles 

http://indiestatik.com/2013/10/20/day-one-garrys-incident/ Article to the rescue 

head of youtube (if that's even a thing)

Ok, a bit of research and found some people. No emails as I expected but names, names are good :D

Google CEO

Larry Page

Google General Counsel

Arnd Haller

Google Legal Relations

Legal Relations

Google Press Relations

Press Relations

Youtube CEO

Salar Kamangar

Associate Product Counsel YouTube LLC

Harris Cohen

Youtube Partner Support

Partner Support

YouTube

YouTube Copyright

Youtube

Support

Ok, a bit of research and found some people. No emails as I expected but names, names are good :D

Google CEO

Larry Page

Google General Counsel

Arnd Haller

Google Legal Relations

Legal Relations

Google Press Relations

Press Relations

Youtube CEO

Salar Kamangar

Associate Product Counsel YouTube LLC

Harris Cohen

Youtube Partner Support

Partner Support

YouTube

YouTube Copyright

Youtube

Support

Best bet will be this Salar Kamangar guy

So the petition just went from 15 to 150+ in the last 2 hours D: Not sure how, I changed the title to make it easier to read but that cant be it lol

Any way, the new link (cause I think its changed it) is 

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/youtube-com-replace-update-dmca-system-and-protect-free-speech-and-abuse

Also, not only is this my first petition I've ever created but here is my first Reddit post :D

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1p0nrr/petition_to_ask_youtube_to_replaceupdate_dmca/