Gtx1080 Low FPS

My new rig, which you can check out on my page is behaving rather strangely.

Specs:

6700k(4.6)

16gb ddr4

asus strix 1080

When playing certain games, the frame count is shockingly low and way below that of online benchmarks.

The few games I played that ran fine include team fortress 2 at around 200fps. And crysis 2 at around 150fps(ultra2k) 

When in other games however, like in black light retribution, I get a max frame rate of 60(all the time). It wasn't vsync as that was disabled. Another game like this was overwatch with only 60-70 fps whereas online benchmarks have a result of 300+fps max settings. Wtf? I've already done a clean install of drivers and made sure the card is running on a pice 16x slot. During these games, gpu usage is extremely low but when I stress test it, it gets to 100%. The cinebench r15 OpenGL test was about 100++fps(can't rmb exact)

Can anyone help?

have you checked for the latest drivers it might be a driver issue 

Why don't you just run some traditional 3D benchmarks like 3DMark Time Spy, FIre Strike, Unigene Valley, and Heaven.  Trying to compare to another persons "in-game" performance with infinitely different variable such as resolution and settings just doesn't make sense.  Doing so will net you nothing, but a bunch of opinions and bad advice.  Using standardized benchmarks makes things a bit more directly comparable.

if i can run Overwatch 1080p 60fps at Epic settings on a GTX 770 theres something wrong . check the FPS limit in overwatch settings, i have mine set to 300

Photography / Finance / Gaming

13 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Why don't you just run some traditional 3D benchmarks like 3DMark Time Spy, FIre Strike, Unigene Valley, and Heaven.  Trying to compare to another persons "in-game" performance with infinitely different variable such as resolution and settings just doesn't make sense.  Doing so will net you nothing, but a bunch of opinions and bad advice.  Using standardized benchmarks makes things a bit more directly comparable.

I will try it out tmr but how can there possibly be such a big difference in fps when the online benchmarks run the game at 4K max settings. Mine are way way lower at also lower settings. Something must be wrong 

When I first got my 1080, FPS was lower than I expected but with an overclock to my CPU, GPU, and RAM, the framerates skyrocketed. At 1080p in not so demanding games, the 1080 won't push out as many frames as it possibly can because not only will your GPU usage not be incredibly high, but you are being slightly bottlenecked by your CPU at lower resolutions. Overclocking that 6700k to something like 4.5GHZ lets the CPU be able to process things from the GPU faster, therefore increasing framerates.  Not sure if that is your only problem as your Overwatch FPS does seem a bit too low but if you say you already took care of your drivers and made sure the card was plugged in correctly and isn't faulty, then try a slight CPU overclock.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

11 hours ago, Festive said:

When I first got my 1080, FPS was lower than I expected but with an overclock to my CPU, GPU, and RAM, the framerates skyrocketed. At 1080p in not so demanding games, the 1080 won't push out as many frames as it possibly can because not only will your GPU usage not be incredibly high, but you are being slightly bottlenecked by your CPU at lower resolutions. Overclocking that 6700k to something like 4.5GHZ lets the CPU be able to process things from the GPU faster, therefore increasing framerates.  Not sure if that is your only problem as your Overwatch FPS does seem a bit too low but if you say you already took care of your drivers and made sure the card was plugged in correctly and isn't faulty, then try a slight CPU overclock.

The cpu is overclocked if you have read the op. To 4.6 in the bios. 

On 10/20/2016 at 0:30 AM, Festive said:

Also how do you overclock ram?

Turn scale resolution back too 100 in overwatch 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Also what res r u at 

also (1600) 

24 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Also what res r u at 

Scale at 50% not even seeing 200fps. Also I'm playing at 2k

3 hours ago, joshua_lotion said:

Scale at 50% not even seeing 200fps. Also I'm playing at 2k

Strange, if ur running river tuner or after burner make sure the GPs cap is off, also what's ur gpu usage ? 

Also because overwatch can be run on a potato try setting max performance in the controll panel x

also (1600) 

1 hour ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Strange, if ur running river tuner or after burner make sure the GPs cap is off, also what's ur gpu usage ? 

Also because overwatch can be run on a potato try setting max performance in the controll panel x

I did not over clock the gpu coz I have the strix version which already has a high over clock. In the nvidia control panel, it is set to prefer maximum performance. Gpu usage is around high 80-90 but never really at max. For some reason, in some other cases, the usage is 0 and I am really wondering why the gpu is not doing its job 

17 hours ago, joshua_lotion said:

I did not over clock the gpu coz I have the strix version which already has a high over clock. In the nvidia control panel, it is set to prefer maximum performance. Gpu usage is around high 80-90 but never really at max. For some reason, in some other cases, the usage is 0 and I am really wondering why the gpu is not doing its job 

R u looking at fan speed ? 

also (1600) 

If on Overwatch, FPS is running between 60 and 70 then you have your FPS capped in the settings menu to your monitors refresh rate of 60Hz, this is separate from V-Sync but I believe is under it. I'm assuming the same for Blacklight. It's not a 1080 issue, it's a settings issue. I'm getting over 100 FPS on my 1070 @ 3440x1440 on all Epic settings. 

My build:

i7-6800k @ 4.32GHz

ASRock Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7

G.Skill Rampage V 4x8GB DDR4-2800MHz @ 2916MHz

Zotac 1070 AMP Extreme @ 2100MHz

Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 NVME SSD

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD

EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

NZXT Kraken X61 CPU Cooler

NZXT Hue+

Corsair 750D Airflow Edition

On 10/23/2016 at 4:58 PM, JoshM813 said:

If on Overwatch, FPS is running between 60 and 70 then you have your FPS capped in the settings menu to your monitors refresh rate of 60Hz, this is separate from V-Sync but I believe is under it. I'm assuming the same for Blacklight. It's not a 1080 issue, it's a settings issue. I'm getting over 100 FPS on my 1070 @ 3440x1440 on all Epic settings. 

Are you even reading? I told you the issue isn't only in over watch. Other games as well. Also that isn't the prob. 

5 minutes ago, joshua_lotion said:

Are you even reading? I told you the issue isn't only in over watch. Other games as well. Also that isn't the prob. 

I was using Overwatch as an example, there is a different setting from V-sync that can and will cap your FPS to your monitor's detected refresh rate. That is what I was saying..so yes, I was reading. Did you run Firestrike or Timespy to compare your results like another poster suggested? 

Also, to answer an earlier question you asked about overclocking the memory. Go into the BIOS and find where your XMP profiles are and select what speed you want to run. Apply the settings and make sure that the system detects all of your RAM and that it applied the speed you wanted. If it does then boot into the OS and run a memory stress test to be sure it's stable. 

My build:

i7-6800k @ 4.32GHz

ASRock Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7

G.Skill Rampage V 4x8GB DDR4-2800MHz @ 2916MHz

Zotac 1070 AMP Extreme @ 2100MHz

Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 NVME SSD

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD

EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

NZXT Kraken X61 CPU Cooler

NZXT Hue+

Corsair 750D Airflow Edition

It's dat good old bottleneck everyone talks about..... lies.

Something doesn't add up to me either... I'd be crapping my pants, and instantly want to RMA. That's how I think though... shut off Nvidia Shadowplay and see what happens. I have seen some claim that you should turn off the instant replay off.