High-end GPU performance

KostWarCZE
Go to solution Solved by TheRedViper,

If I may, there are some rumors (normally rumors are rumors, but rumors about GPU this year have been accurate) about the 1080ti going out in Q1 2017 so don't even think about the Titan XP, unless you plan to do something else than gaming on that PC.

It depends on what you currently have, but I would wait for the 1080ti in SLI. If you can't wait, go for 1080 in SLI, it should keep its value better than the Titan XP when the Ti gets released.

FPS per $  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best GPU on serious gaming? (Its gonna be overclocked and watercooled)

• 1x GTX Titan XP (Pascal)
    • 1x GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    • 2x GTX 1080 (Pascal)
    • 2x GTX 1070 (Pascal)
    • 2x GTX 1060 (Pascal)
    • 3x GTX 980 (Maxwell)
    • 3x GTX 970 (Maxwell)
    • 3x GTX 950 (Maxwell)

You can't do 3 way sli with pascal so it either 2x 1080 or 1x titan x pascal

2 GTX 1080 cards will perform the best, unless the game doesn't support SLI in that case Titan X Pascal will be the fastest.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

You can't do 3 way sli with pascal so it either 2x 1080 or 1x titan x pascal

But it looks cooler. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ty edited.

Just now, KostWarCZE said:

But it looks cooler. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ty edited.

And you can't SLI 1060 too

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

And you can't SLI 1060 too

i edited all pascal based GPU already. ;)

4 minutes ago, Minibois said:

2 GTX 1080 cards will perform the best, unless the game doesn't support SLI in that case Titan X Pascal will be the fastest.

I just meant performance teoretical all High-End games have to have SLI support so i don't think that's problem.

Whole poll should be about performance (FPS per $) like if i put 1x Titan XP and 2x 1080 which one will have higher performance? Or will i get more if i put 3x 980?

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Titan XP if you know SLI support for the games you're playing is dodgy

1080 SLI if you know the games you'll be playing will support it well.

So 2x 1080 > Titan XP ?

high-end gpu.

3 x GTX 950

no AMD options.

I smell fanboy-ness...

I would get a titan XP, most stable option, maybe not the most powerful but it should at least always work.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

If I may, there are some rumors (normally rumors are rumors, but rumors about GPU this year have been accurate) about the 1080ti going out in Q1 2017 so don't even think about the Titan XP, unless you plan to do something else than gaming on that PC.

It depends on what you currently have, but I would wait for the 1080ti in SLI. If you can't wait, go for 1080 in SLI, it should keep its value better than the Titan XP when the Ti gets released.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

You should put THAT in the post, and say what resolution you're at. I'd say one 1080 in that case

Good idea. Edited

1 minute ago, KostWarCZE said:

I just meant performance teoretical all High-End games have to have SLI support so i don't think that's problem.

Whole poll should be about performance (FPS per $) like if i put 1x Titan XP and 2x 1080 which one will have higher performance? Or will i get more if i put 3x 980?

Theoretical performance is difficult to say. 3 or 4 way SLI may get higher performance than 2 way SLI, but the experience might be better on 2 way SLI because 3 or 4 way SLI often has micro stuttering in the game which can be very annoying. You also say theoretical performance.. In High end games. So I would still have to think about if the game actually supports SLI.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

high-end gpu.

3 x GTX 950

no AMD options.

I smell fanboy-ness...

I would get a titan XP, most stable option, maybe not the most powerful but it should at least always work.

So 3x GTX 980 > 2x GTX 1080 > 1x GTX Titan XP?

Just now, KostWarCZE said:

So 3x GTX 980 > 2x GTX 1080 > 1x GTX Titan XP?

Sadly, it's more complex than that.

Every game handles a multi-gpu different, some games handle it well and some games handle it like sh*t.

So a 2x GTX 1080 has the potential to beat a titan XP, but sadly not every game will use such setup to its full potential and won't beat the titan XP.

If you just want to pop in a card and don't want to worry about it, get a titan XP.

If you are prepared to mess with the setup from time to time if you want to play games, you can get the 2x 1080, but keep in mind the 2nd 1080 will do nothing in some games and some games might require some tweaks to get working.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Sadly, it's more complex than that.

Every game handles a multi-gpu different, some games handle it well and some games handle it like sh*t.

So a 2x GTX 1080 has the potential to beat a titan XP, but sadly not every game will use such setup to its full potential and won't beat the titan XP.

If you just want to pop in a card and don't want to worry about it, get a titan XP.

If you are prepared to mess with the setup from time to time if you want to play games, you can get the 2x 1080, but keep in mind the 2nd 1080 will do nothing in some games and some games might require some tweaks to get working.

Teoretical SLI takes just a frequency of GPU. So is it worth it to get Titan XP and some low @&!# GPU with loooots of VRAM and CUDA then?

3 minutes ago, KostWarCZE said:

Teoretical SLI takes just a frequency of GPU. So is it worth it to get Titan XP and some low @&!# GPU with loooots of VRAM and CUDA then?

...? Not sure what you are talking about but with potential power i mean things like pixel fillrate...

And even that isn't exactly useful for a 1:1 comparison but because a 1080 and titan XP are very similar design wise it's quite comparable.

Also you can't mix and match gpu's... 1080's only work together with 1080's and titan XP's only work with titan XP's.

And both cards also need the same amount of VRAM.