Computer science/engineering projects for high school student

Cankatsa

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone could suggest projects I could do in high school that would help me learn more about computer engineering or science.

Currently, I'm learning Java. Further down the line I'm planning on also learning C, C++, and python. (A friend suggested learning a high level programming language and a low level one.)

I've also built and disassembled a couple of pcs and laptops myself. From time to time I also help friends and family with computer and network issues.

Specifically, I'm looking for projects that look good on a resume or on a university application. Its been suggested that I try making a game or developing an app, does anyone else have anyou other suggestions? I'm also open to anything else, including long boring articles! I love learning about what makes things tick, especially computers or anything that has a circuit board in it.

Thanks!

tldr; Any project suggestions for a high school student wanting to further his experience/ knowledge in computer engineering or science?

On 10/16/2016 at 10:33 PM, wrathoftheturkey said:

Get yourself a Raspberry Pi and experiment with arduinos, maybe build a robot?

Thanks! I was actually looking at another ardunio but I'll give the raspberry pi a shot.

If you are looking for something specifically to look good on a resume I would look at machine learning and “big data”. More specifically looking into neural networks.

While it does on the surface look a daunting subject there is plenty of information around if you tied that with as has been previously mentioned suggestion with raspberry pi and Arduino you could have a project that covers off real applications.

That would give you for a resume perspective a project that covered a significant number of different but in demand areas which would look very good on your resume and show that you were willing to educate yourself with in demand areas that have a significant skills shortage.

there are tons of stuff you can do on your own:

1. as said, get raspberry pi or arduino and do some project on them (robotic, networking)

2. learn VHDL or assembly language, it will help a ton for university.

3. AI

4. app development