Haswell CPU

could a haswell processor run on any motherboard? Or only haswell motherboard? I bought a prebuilt machine that contains IPM87-MP motherboard with an Intel i7 4771 3.5 ghz .

So I was reading HP website about my motherboard and every CPU have a "(Haswell)" beside the name of the brand. 

My Pc Specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-4771 Processor 3.5GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4 GB DDR3 FH GFX, Upgraded to GTX 950 STRIX 2GB

IPM87-MP motherboard

and no PSU yet 8-)

sorry for the cable management.

IMG_1242.JPG

5 minutes ago, Moose_e said:

could a haswell processor run on any motherboard? Or only haswell motherboard? I bought a prebuilt machine that contains IPM87-MP motherboard with an Intel i7 4771 3.5 ghz .

So I was reading HP website about my motherboard and every CPU have a "(Haswell)" beside the name of the brand. 

Haswell is LGA 1150, pretty much any LGA 1150 only, so anything on the LGA 1150 platform that has ix-4xxx or ix-5xxx, not including LGA 2011/2011-3

Yours faithfully

Sure, it's an H87 motherboard.

But the i7 4770 is pretty much as good as you can get on that chipset.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Haswell is LGA 1151, pretty much any LGA 1151 only, so anything on the LGA 1151 platform that has ix-4xxx or ix-5xxx, not including LGA 2011/2011-3

Haswell is 1150 not 1151, 1151 is Skylake.

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Haswell is LGA 1151, pretty much any LGA 1151 only, so anything on the LGA 1151 platform that has ix-4xxx or ix-5xxx, not including LGA 2011/2011-3

no its not. Those are all different sockets. 1151 is skylake. 1150 is haswell.

Just now, EnemySp0tt3d said:

no its not. Those are all different sockets. 1151 is skylake. 1150 is haswell.

dope, I meant LGA 1150, it has been edited away

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Pretty sure you mean LGA 1150?

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

If there's microcode support, you could do an i7-5775R/C.  But a giant waste of money to upgrade to that.  Keep your existing chip. 

13 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Haswell is LGA 1150, pretty much any LGA 1150 only, so anything on the LGA 1150 platform that has ix-4xxx or ix-5xxx, not including LGA 2011/2011-3

so if I want to change my motherboard do I get  LGA 1150 motherboard?

3 minutes ago, Moose_e said:

so if I want to change my motherboard do I get  LGA 1150 motherboard?

Yes, If you want a better motherboard I'd maybe advise a Z87/z97 chip, but the CPU you have is not unlocked, so you'd then need to buy an i7 4770k or i7 4790k. You would probably be better of with a Skylake system and DDR4. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yes, If you want a better motherboard I'd maybe advise a Z87/z97 chip, but the CPU you have is not unlocked, so you'd then need to buy an i7 4770k or i7 4790k. You would probably be better of with a Skylake system and DDR4. 

I added a picture and more information about my PC

13 minutes ago, Moose_e said:

I added a picture and more information about my PC

Yeah I see, looks like a small mATX board, there really isn't any need to change that as it is balanced with the system, since the  i7-4771 Processor can't be overclocked. You can get a more normal speced motherboard though. Why do you want to change it?

Edited by Lord Nicoll
used wrong word

Yours faithfully

18 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah I see, looks like a small mATX board, there really isn't any need to change that as it is balanced with the system, since the  i7-4771 Processor can't be overclocked. You can get a more normal speced motherboard though. Why do you want to change it?

I am thinking on upgrading my MB from DDR3 to DDR4

1 minute ago, Moose_e said:

The i7 4771 does not support DDR4, you'll need an i7 6700, you might as well an i7 6700k, Z170 board and DDR4, and a good cooler.

Yours faithfully

13 minutes ago, Moose_e said:

Why do you want to "upgrade" your MB ???

Your computer is fine like that. You have an i7 haswell wich is great and DDR4 isnt much improvement VS DDR3, its humanly not noticeable...

No worries, keep your build.

16 minutes ago, smokefest said:

Why do you want to "upgrade" your MB ???

Your computer is fine like that. You have an i7 haswell wich is great and DDR4 isnt much improvement VS DDR3, its humanly not noticeable...

No worries, keep your build.

I want a smaller motherboard, but since it's a waste of money buying a whole another CPU, it's better to keep it as it is and just upgrade my PC with the same motherboard 

2 minutes ago, Moose_e said:

I want a smaller motherboard, but since it's a waste of money buying a whole another CPU, it's better to keep it as it is and just upgrade my PC with the same motherboard 

The only smaller options are either mATX that is under the 9.6" squared or buy an mini-ITX, really it is worth it to buy a new system as OEM systems are, quite frankly, shit. They cost more to buy and the upgrades means you're throwing money in a hole.

Yours faithfully

Well I think I only need a new PSU, thank you guys for your time replying :) 

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The only smaller options are either mATX that is under the 9.6" squared or buy an mini-ITX, really it is worth it to buy a new system as OEM systems are, quite frankly, shit. They cost more to buy and the upgrades means you're throwing money in a hole.

Yes, I do agree. Building another new system is much better than upgrading a prebuilt system, but I had this PC for 3 years and I was not into what inside of a PC. So I had it and I'm like well maybe I only have to upgrade my PSU and the graphics card. 

2 minutes ago, Moose_e said:

Well I think I only need a new PSU, thank you guys for your time replying :) 

Yes, OEM PSU's are usually the worse part of them. They make OK systems with new PSUs and GPUs, but they lack what a custom system has and often for the same price. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Moose_e said:

Yes, I do agree. Building another new system is much better than upgrading a prebuilt system, but I had this PC for 3 years and I was not into what inside of a PC. So I had it and I'm like well maybe I only have to upgrade my PSU and the graphics card. 

you can always sell that and then consider a building a new PC.

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

you can always sell that and then consider a building a new PC.

Can't sell it, a birthday gift. I might just build a new one and give this to my brother. :D 

Just now, Moose_e said:

Can't sell it, a birthday gift. I might just build a new one and give this to my brother. :D 

ah, I never was that sentimental with tech based gifts, they aren't something you give to be cherished or expect the other person to cherish beyond nostalgia. 

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

ah, I never was that sentimental with tech based gifts, they aren't something you give to be cherished or expect the other person to cherish beyond nostalgia. 

I have an old dell PC I bought for my mom. It was only for $15. It's one of the huge big towers and the motherboard is old  and CPU is an AMD that is 8 years old 

3 minutes ago, Moose_e said:

I have an old dell PC I bought for my mom. It was only for $15. It's one of the huge big towers and the motherboard is old  and CPU is an AMD that is 8 years old 

I had a Dell with a Pentium 4 HT 3GHz and 2gb of RAM I used to run a minecraft server off. Now I use a dual Xeon server, I took a massive step on that one. 

Yours faithfully