100% hard drive usage

Loosper

I recently installed Linux (Ubuntu) on my laptop as dual boot alongside Windows 10. Linux is running perfectly but windows is showing 100% hard disk usage. In the task manager there are no processes that are using any amount of resources and I know it is not just a visual bug as I can hear the drive spinning viciously. I tried disabling BITS and windows search - nothing changed.

Have the same setup on my desktop - same thing happened just now.

I have fast boot and hibernation disabled on both, so hard drive corruption shouldn't be the cause.

Both ran ububtu's default installation.

I tried checking and repairing the drive and again nothing changed.

I'll appreciate any help. Thanks in advance

Try disabling the indexing service on all drives

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

2 minutes ago, xGGAx said:

Try disabling the indexing service on all drives

Could also be windows updates. Personally I would wipe windows completely :P only reason I haven't is no man's sky.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

My experience has been that 100% usage in Windows means the drive is dying. 

Open command prompt by pressing Windows Key + X and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)".

Type `chkdsk /r /f C:` (without the `) and hit enter. It will ask you to do this on reboot. Press Y and hit enter.

After doing that, reboot your PC. It will do a check disk upon reboot. Let it do it's thing. It shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes. Longer than that implies the disk is damaged.

If it's still doing it after check disk, open an admin command prompt again and do this: `sfc /scannow` and hit enter.

This is System File Checker and you are telling it to check the OS files for possible issues. Updates among them. This shouldn't be the issue, but it's useful to use to check for Windows issues in general. 

Lastly, open something like Crystal Disk Info and check your drive SMART info. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

4 minutes ago, Vitalius said:

-snip-

I tried checking the disk already - same thing.

The laptop drive is less than 6 months old - cannot be dying.

Disabled services - sme thing

It was literally fine before Linux.

21 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Could also be windows updates. Personally I would wipe windows completely :P only reason I haven't is no man's sky.

yes, windows updates could do that too. Also onedrive is known for hogging resources without doing much. IDK, boot into safe mode and see if the problem persist?

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

Yes, windows update seems to be the issue for now (hate that windows does not log this at all anywhere). 

Thanks for all the input

5 hours ago, Loosper said:

yes but it could be defective and thus be dying. 

See what in task manager is using the disk. 

I'm also experiencing this issue. Does it mean that my drive is dying? I only had it for a few months. When the disk usage maxes out my PSU fans get extremely loud. Any help pls? :)

8 hours ago, Loosper said:

That's not how that works. Drives die when they die. Most drives die either in the first year you own them, or several years later, with little in between those two time frames. 

It's a laptop drive. Laptops move. HDDs aren't really meant to be moved. Always put SSDs in laptops. Always.

Linux probably installed on a section of the HDD that is where the bad sectors are. Use Crystal Disk Info to check it.

2 hours ago, IloveMLP said:

I'm also experiencing this issue. Does it mean that my drive is dying? I only had it for a few months. When the disk usage maxes out my PSU fans get extremely loud. Any help pls? :)

That doesn't sound good. I'd definitely check your drive's SMART info with Crystal Disk Info.

8 hours ago, Loosper said:

Yes, windows update seems to be the issue for now (hate that windows does not log this at all anywhere). 

Thanks for all the input

This may be of use to you: http://ccm.net/faq/2471-how-to-purge-the-windows-update-cache

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I agree with the death theory. Your HDD is hanging because it's not responsive. Failing to read. HDD's fail all the time. Some last 7+ years, some last days. Mechanical are finicky. Especially if you're moving or drops, or any other type of activity that causes moving things to mess up alignment or become otherwise damaged.

I would try a reinstall to rule out something else, but if your HDD is at 100 and CPU is very low, it's a hardware issue. Let warranty deal with it.

10 hours ago, Loosper said:

I recently installed Linux (Ubuntu) on my laptop as dual boot alongside Windows 10. Linux is running perfectly but windows is showing 100% hard disk usage. In the task manager there are no processes that are using any amount of resources and I know it is not just a visual bug as I can hear the drive spinning viciously. I tried disabling BITS and windows search - nothing changed.

Have the same setup on my desktop - same thing happened just now.

I have fast boot and hibernation disabled on both, so hard drive corruption shouldn't be the cause.

Both ran ububtu's default installation.

I tried checking and repairing the drive and again nothing changed.

I'll appreciate any help. Thanks in advance

First, I would recommend installing an SSD in your laptop.

Every single Windows 8 or 10 laptop I've ever dealt with as a technician has periods where the disk sits at 100% use for extended periods of time.

This is because most laptop manufacturers use 5400rpm drives, even in $1500 systems with 16GB RAM and Intel i7 CPUs.

Because apparently 7200rpm drives would cut into their profit margins too much. Or something something corporate reasons.

For whatever reason, Windows 8 and 10 are both way more disk intensive than 7 was, and thus appear to hang when using 100% disk.

It is also indeed possible the drive in your laptop is failing as @Ryujin2003 said.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)