Are SFX-L PSUs less reliable?

atavax

I'm probably going to upgrade my computer when Kaby lake comes out. I am not currently using a small form factor case, but I would like to have the option to switch to one in the future, so having a PSU that would fit in a very small case would be nice. Also the reduced weight of a sfx L psu would be nice as well. I'm leaning towards either Silverstone SX700 or Corsair SF600. Would i be paying for a less reliable PSU if i decided on this smaller form factor? Especially with the SX700's pathetic 3 year warranty. Also the SF600 sata connectors seem to all be on a single cable. I however am currently using a (8 year old) corsair HX 1000; could i just use a sata cable from that PSU?

I haven't heard great things about the silverstone unit. The corsair one seems fine. Personally I would go EVGA or seasonic though.

And no, you can't use the same cables as your HX1000.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

SFX PSUs are fine if you get the right one. The Corsair SF is amazing and the Lian Li SFX-L is alright, the rest are just Meh.

3 hours ago, atavax said:

I'm probably going to upgrade my computer when Kaby lake comes out. I am not currently using a small form factor case, but I would like to have the option to switch to one in the future, so having a PSU that would fit in a very small case would be nice. Also the reduced weight of a sfx L psu would be nice as well. I'm leaning towards either Silverstone SX700 or Corsair SF600. Would i be paying for a less reliable PSU if i decided on this smaller form factor? Especially with the SX700's pathetic 3 year warranty. Also the SF600 sata connectors seem to all be on a single cable. I however am currently using a (8 year old) corsair HX 1000; could i just use a sata cable from that PSU?

The Corsair SF is the only SFX form factor PSU worth considering if you want to keep this short. The Silverstone ones are either quite substantially worse electrically/quality or are very loud. 

No, you almost certainly could not use the cable from your HX on the SF, though I'd contact Corsair about this. If you're lacking SATA connections then it may be best to purchase molex adapters or to find aftermarket cables that allow for more SATA connections, through Cablemod and the like.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||