Crossfire question.

itzmesloth
Go to solution Solved by Morgan MLGman,
1 minute ago, itzmesloth said:

So if I bought a 390 or a 390x for the CrossFire, what would ne the benefit of an average game, that perhaps doesn't utilize the CF so well.

Watch this:

This pretty much summarizes what Crossfire and SLI are, look how they perform and listen to what Richard and the other guy say. Look at the performance relativility between a single card and a dual-GPU setup, Crossfire is overall better than SLI in terms of scaling (you get more performance from adding a second card), doesn't require a bridge and is more versatile (you don't need two exact same GPUs). Some games scale well (as shown) and some games don't use Crossfire at all.

I have a R9 390 from Sapphire, so I was just wandering if there is any benefit, or is it worth it to Crossfire it with a RX 480, if that's even possible.

Just now, itzmesloth said:

I have a R9 390 from Sapphire, so I was just wandering if there is any benefit, or is it worth it to Crossfire it with a RX 480, if that's even possible.

It's not possible. R9 390 can crossfire with R9 290/R9 290X/R9 390/R9 390X. The benefits will be around 180% of your current performance in games that utilize crossfire well. Mind the heat and power consumption though, you need a good PSU to support that configuration and you need good airflow in your case.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

So if I bought a 390 or a 390x for the CrossFire, what would ne the benefit of an average game, that perhaps doesn't utilize the CF so well.

1 minute ago, itzmesloth said:

Watch this:

This pretty much summarizes what Crossfire and SLI are, look how they perform and listen to what Richard and the other guy say. Look at the performance relativility between a single card and a dual-GPU setup, Crossfire is overall better than SLI in terms of scaling (you get more performance from adding a second card), doesn't require a bridge and is more versatile (you don't need two exact same GPUs). Some games scale well (as shown) and some games don't use Crossfire at all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White