FreeNAS Fans Running Wild

Go to solution Solved by Bananasplit_00,
1 minute ago, jowdemanne said:

@Bananasplit_00 Is it possible it changed because of the electricity going off and on again?

@gamerking This is the motherboard and this is the case.

And I assembled the server myself, picking all the components.

it could screw with your BIOS if you are unlycky, just check and make sure

Help!

Ok now I've got your attention. I've built a FreeNAS box for myself using some high grade server equipment. It was all running smoothly until somebody thought it was a good idea to cut off the electricity and put it on again. Now my box is going crazy with fan speeds. The fans are going full speed all the time, even when it is completely idle.

The temps of my cores and my drives are all better than OK so that isn't the problem either. They are all plugged in fine and the setup hasn't changed.

Can somebody help me? I have no idea what to do right now. Every person who tries to 'solve' the problem just says "buy more quiet fans" but the thing is, I know they make a lot of sound but they shouldn't be at full speed to begin with.

check the BIOS and see if fan controll is on at all first of all

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

26 minutes ago, jowdemanne said:

Help!

Ok now I've got your attention. I've built a FreeNAS box for myself using some high grade server equipment. It was all running smoothly until somebody thought it was a good idea to cut off the electricity and put it on again. Now my box is going crazy with fan speeds. The fans are going full speed all the time, even when it is completely idle.

The temps of my cores and my drives are all better than OK so that isn't the problem either. They are all plugged in fine and the setup hasn't changed.

Can somebody help me? I have no idea what to do right now. Every person who tries to 'solve' the problem just says "buy more quiet fans" but the thing is, I know they make a lot of sound but they shouldn't be at full speed to begin with.

if it is amd system abandon all hope.:P i really mean that

server specs would help for the MB . also for a server from a data center most sound like a jet next to you so it may just be how that model is .

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

1 minute ago, jowdemanne said:

@Bananasplit_00 Is it possible it changed because of the electricity going off and on again?

@gamerking This is the motherboard and this is the case.

And I assembled the server myself, picking all the components.

it could screw with your BIOS if you are unlycky, just check and make sure

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Ok I finally found out how to use IPMI on this board and set it up. I could see the "Fan Speed Mode" was on "Full" instead of on "Standard". Praise Jezus, Allah and whoever you want my god, I'm not going deaf anymore.

Thanks for the quick help you guys!

10 hours ago, jowdemanne said:

Ok I finally found out how to use IPMI on this board and set it up. I could see the "Fan Speed Mode" was on "Full" instead of on "Standard". Praise Jezus, Allah and whoever you want my god, I'm not going deaf anymore.

Thanks for the quick help you guys!

I've seen similar with some servers at work, except they changed their profile to "Minimal" and the bottom of the server chassis was almost painful to the touch! They are also Supermicro, but I'm not sure of the model.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: