Gen-Z a new memory interconnect consortium is formed

source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10751/gen-z-consortium-formed-developing-a-new-memory-interconnect

Copy%20of%20Gen-Z%20Consortium%20Briefin

what is Gen-Z?

Gen-Z Consortium is a non-profit group tasked at creating a new open standard memory interconnect that's aimed at treating "memory" as RAM and storage at the same time (much like Micron's 3DXpoint) - a new connector, hardware logic and transfer protocol

the data transfer speed for this new specification will be higher than 100MB/s, and initial specs will be finalized by end of this year

who's part of Gen-Z?

Gen-Z%20Consortium%20Briefing%20Deck-2_5

this new technology is aimed at server and data centers, it's not clear if this will be aimed at PCs - if so, it will be a long way before it actually happens

The purpose of the Consortium is the development of the interconnect, with a focus on being an open and non-proprietary standard that scales from node to rack, and free from royalties (it’s a non-profit). The interconnect will be a memory semantic fabric, handling memory operations and communications such as load/store, put/get and atomics that are typically managed by the processor and software. The issue arrives when memory is in storage class devices which are block based rather than cache line based, and thus there is an aim for a high bandwidth (>100GB/s) with low latency (sub-100ns) for load-to-use functionality.

The interconnect is also aimed at offering real-time analytics, working between CPU cores, SoCs, FPGAs, GPUs, pooled memory and networked storage. There is also aims for security, as well as support via unmodified operating systems (which indicates that the new interconnect is a pure hardware design) and support within tiered memory hierarchy. Another goal is low-cost implementation, which will require working close with semiconductor manufacturers.

Gen-Z%20Consortium%20Briefing%20Deck-4_5

Gen-Z%20Consortium%20Briefing%20Deck-6_5

Gen-Z%20Consortium%20Briefing%20Deck-3_5

---

this is big money and Intel might (certainly will) fight this new standard; Intel accounts for ~90% of server chips shipped

when asked why Intel didn't joined, their reply was:

We have offered high-performance coherent interconnects and industry standard memory, I/O, and accelerator interfaces on our CPUs for decades. This provides our customers with the best combination of choice, performance, and total cost of ownership

Intel's OmniPath will be the direct competitor for this upcoming tech

You say 100MB/s but the quote says 100GB/s. I'm assuming the 100GB/s is the correct figure.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I'm genuinely surprised both Intel and Nvidia aren't involved with this yet. They stand to benefit just as much. Also, no Oracle?! They're the biggest provider of database solutions in the world. This is certainly a good group for it to be involved with assuming it's not intending to merge with Intel as one of my Seeking Alpha associates claims.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

I'm genuinely surprised both Intel and Nvidia aren't involved with this yet. They stand to benefit just as much. Also, no Oracle?! They're the biggest provider of database solutions in the world. This is certainly a good group for it to be involved with assuming it's not intending to merge with Intel as one of my Seeking Alpha associates claims.

I edited the OP on why Intel will not join

Intel has designed their own interconnect (OmniPath) and spend god knows how much on it, they surely want a return 

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

I edited the OP on why Intel will not join

Intel has designed their own interconnect (OmniPath) and spend god knows how much on it, they surely want a return 

AMD just bought theirs from ARM. Cray builds their own too. And this consortium won't produce anything substantial for a couple years. Intel will get its money's worth from Omipath by then.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

A non-profit group full of for-profit companies, setting out to create a standard that (given, among other things) will make them more money? We'll see how that goes. 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

AMD just bought theirs from ARM. Cray builds their own too. And this consortium won't produce anything substantial for a couple years. Intel will get its money's worth from Omipath by then.

as for nVidia, they get the heebie jeebies when "open" is around them

7 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

maybe the respective parties of the aforementioned companies should check their spam folder more often...

OR

they are just too arrogant to be part of it. Nvidia rarely seems to join the initiative in memory technology, they seem to prefer to only hop on after its been field tested by someone else.

Intel prob feels it has "too much invested into 3DXpoint to give up on it yet. As such a open standard would eventually collide with intel and micron IPs and or interests for 3DXpoint....

25 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I'm genuinely surprised both Intel and Nvidia aren't involved with this yet

Me too at first sight, but then:

31 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Intel's OmniPath will be the direct competitor for this upcoming tech

So that probably explains it. 

These hybrid memory/disk techs are really interesting. I love how tech is becoming more compressed, integrated and smaller. Make it simpler, smaller and faster (cheaper?). That is the future of computers for sure.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

25 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

A non-profit group full of for-profit companies, setting out to create a standard that (given, among other things) will make them more money? We'll see how that goes. 

Happens all the time. What's the problem?

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

Me too at first sight, but then:

So that probably explains it. 

These hybrid memory/disk techs are really interesting. I love how tech is becoming more compressed, integrated and smaller. Make it simpler, smaller and faster (cheaper?). That is the future of computers for sure.

It doesn't explain it. It will take this consortium a minimum of 2 years to create a standard and at least another 1 for the companies to get it fabbed, assembled, and selling. Intel will have made its money by then.

26 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

ISO CPP is very much the same thing, and yet it makes life so much better for C/C++ programmers.

It doesn't explain it. It will take this consortium a minimum of 2 years to create a standard and at least another 1 for the companies to get it fabbed, assembled, and selling. Intel will have made its money by then.

Standards tend to last longer than 2 years though. And since this new standard includes 3DXpoint, maybe Intel just doesn't need it at the time being. After all they can always implement the standard at a later point if they need to.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

Standards tend to last longer than 2 years though. And since this new standard includes 3DXpoint, maybe Intel just doesn't need it at the time being. After all they can always implement the standard at a later point if they need to.

True, but it would be advantageous for Intel to be involved in those talks all the same to ease the transition in the future.

True, but it would be advantageous for Intel to be involved in those talks all the same to ease the transition in the future.

Agreed. It seems strange. But never underestimate the desire for proprietary tech.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Agreed. It seems strange. But never underestimate the desire for proprietary tech.

Despite the fact Intel is the undisputed leader in creating open standards for software and funding open consortiums like JEDEC, ANSI C, ISO CPP, HMCC, and others...

7 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Despite the fact Intel is the undisputed leader in creating open standards for software and funding open consortiums like JEDEC, ANSI C, ISO CPP, HMCC, and others...

Their work with 3DXpoint and partly HMC seems to veer from that

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Their work with 3DXpoint and partly HMC seems to veer from that

I'll concede on 3DXPoint, but not HMC. Intel was the one who brought Samsung and Fujitsu into the HMC Consortium in the first place, and when standard 1.0 was complete, Intel put forward a proposal for JEDEC. It was silenced by Hynix's hush money while HBM was still being researched. HMC was actually selling to customers back in 2011. HBM was not even completed until 2013. It's a shame really.

41 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Happens all the time. What's the problem?

Sounds like lots of conflicts of interest. Though since they're developing a universal standard it will probably go fine. 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

"Microsemi"?  Never heard of them, but does that logo font not look a LOT like the old Microsoft logo?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

maybe the respective parties of the aforementioned companies should check their spam folder more often...

OR

they are just too arrogant to be part of it. Nvidia rarely seems to join the initiative in memory technology, they seem to prefer to only hop on after its been field tested by someone else.

Intel prob feels it has "too much invested into 3DXpoint to give up on it yet. As such a open standard would eventually collide with intel and micron IPs and or interests for 3DXpoint....

Isn't it aimed at using their ssd 3d point solution to replace in some way? If so, it's sad they don't want to join they have everything to gain.

My interpretation is that they want to profit from it without investing in it at all. Or without having to share anything. Which is a bit arrogant, since they think they can just give and not receive anything from anyone.

14 minutes ago, zMeul said:

they're a DoD contractor; corp was founded in 1959

http://www.microsemi.com/company/about-us

Sure, but, that logo!  Look at them!

Microsoft-logo-old.png

microsemi-logo.png

I mean, really?  Are you kidding me!?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Sure, but, that logo!  Look at them!

I mean, really?  Are you kidding me!?

What? They're hugely dissimilar, particularly M, o, and r.

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

What? They're hugely dissimilar, particularly M, o, and r.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ they seem pretty similar to me... Microsoft is just more bold

Not to mention it also uses the quad colours (red green blue yellow) and (although I realize they were first) the name is similar... What's next, microhard? xD