Do I need powered risers

Bajantechnician

Hi guys. I have a x99 Asus formula 10, with 3 390xs. I have a power supply high enough so supply the power, but I'm not sure if I need powered risers, or normal riders. I'll be putting the cards in the suggested slots.

thanks

Why do you need risers in the first place? What are you trying to do?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

Hi guys. I have a x99 Asus formula 10, with 3 390xs. I have a power supply high enough so supply the power, but I'm not sure if I need powered risers, or normal riders. I'll be putting the cards in the suggested slots.

thanks

It's more important to get shielded risers more than anything else to ensure data integrity between the card and PCI-E slot. 

http://ttpremium.com/product/pci-e-x16-riser-cable/

49 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Why do you need risers in the first place? What are you trying to do?

So I have 3 390xs, and the way the board is built, the cards physically won't fit due to slot positioning with 2.5 slot cards.

48 minutes ago, W-L said:

It's more important to get shielded risers more than anything else to ensure data integrity between the card and PCI-E slot. 

http://ttpremium.com/product/pci-e-x16-riser-cable/

I agree. However, would i need powered shielded risers, or are normal shielded ones ok?

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

So I have 3 390xs, and the way the board is built, the cards physically won't fit due to slot positioning with 2.5 slot cards.

I agree. However, would i need powered shielded risers, or are normal shielded ones ok?

Usually it will be good with just shielded risers, some of the best ones would be the professional ones from 3M but do cost a pretty penny. 

17 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Then you just need regular shielded risers. No power.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

44 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Then you just need regular shielded risers. No power.

Thank you. 

Can I ask why for future reference?

1 hour ago, Bajantechnician said:

Because I have seen hundreds of PCs using PCIe risers and they are all unpowered and less than 15cm.

If you need a really long one, then you might need it to be powered. Or if you need to deliver over 75W per slot. Not too sure tbh.

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Because I have seen hundreds of PCs using PCIe risers and they are all unpowered and less than 15cm.

If you need a really long one, then you might need it to be powered. Or if you need to deliver over 75W per slot. Not too sure tbh.

One 390x draws approximately 350 W I believe. However, they won't be longer than 15 cm :)