Any Drone Enthusiasts?

Cactu

I have been popping in and out of really wanting a drone and not caring for the past two years, and because Christmas is right around the corner I thought I'd drop around $600 into a drone. I'd like to get something that I could build that are ready to fly is alright as well Because I don't want to buy something like a DJI Phantom because it doesn't have a reusable controller nor do I have a device to use for the screen. I would like something that I can bring out with me when I go riding (I snowmobile) 2 fly roughly between half a mile and a mile of range with fpv quality of 700 TV line or higher. I appreciate the help and I have no idea where to start or even if my goal is in this price range. thanks in advance. 

The only thing I know I want to get would this screen for fpv because i don't want to get goggles just yet https://www.amazon.com/Eachine-LCD5802S-Receiver-Monitor-Antenna/dp/B014IVSKGW

Racing quadcopter or something for video/photography like a hex or octo?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Racing quadcopter or something for video/photography like a hex or octo?

I should have probably specified that i do not intend to race, i only intend to explore and use the drone for observation, so i fall more into the arial photography category (EX: dji mavic, dji phantom, parrot bebop 2)

Just now, Cactusneedle_18 said:

I should have probably specified that i do not intend to race, i only intend to explore and use the drone for observation, so i fall more into the arial photography category (EX: dji mavic, dji phantom, parrot bebop 2)

Ok and you want fpv only or fpv+recording?

If you have a gopro already that would be good.

Also, decide how large you want the drone to be, because they can go from really small to really big.

Even though you're not building a racing drone this video has a lot of general information that can apply to any drone:

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

-snip

ok, but do you recommend building or something like a phantom because that is my first decision.

Boom, check my guides. Racing and fpv quads are kinda synonymous, but racing quads are usually built to be lighter so they can go faster.  If you run a 600mw transmitter in a quiet (radio wise) area, you might be able to go almost a mile, but I wouldn't count on it. 

I'd stay away from the versacopter, go with something that's made out of carbon, not just the arms. 

Building a phantom killer is often really expensive, usually (when I try to put together a parts list)  double the price of a phantom 3 standard. 

Edit: check out my two fpv edits I made yesterday to get an idea of what your average fpv quad can do. 

Spoiler

ASU

12 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

ok, but do you recommend building or something like a phantom because that is my first decision.

I like building things way better, but if you don't have a lot of time to research, buy, and build, and you don't know how to solder and set up an RC system, then you should probably just buy a premade drone like the Mavic Pro which is awesome.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I like building things way better, but if you don't have a lot of time to research, buy, and build, and you don't know how to solder and set up an RC system, then you should probably just buy a premade drone like the Mavic Pro which is awesome.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I agree with all of this, except for pre-built FPV aircraft. There are a lot of really good pre-built AP aircraft such as the Mavic or the autel robotics X-star. As far as I'm concerned, the only acceptable pre-built fpv aircraft are the Immersion RC Vortex 250 and the TBS Vendetta. But, those aren't RTF, but plug n fly. They need a receiver, battery, and some kind of video receiving system such as Fat-shark goggles. 

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

I agree with all of this, except for pre-built FPV aircraft. There are a lot of really good pre-built AP aircraft such as the Mavic or the autel robotics X-star. As far as I'm concerned, the only acceptable pre-built fpv aircraft are the Immersion RC Vortex 250 and the TBS Vendetta. But, those aren't RTF, but plug n fly. They need a receiver, battery, and some kind of video receiving system such as Fat-shark goggles. 

hey if buying a vortex($500) + controller($100) + batteries($25) + screen($100) is cheaper then say a mavic, ill do it

total = $800 ish?

(correct my pricing if its wrong)

1 minute ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

hey if buying a vortex($500) + controller($100) + batteries($25) + screen($100) is cheaper then say a mavic, ill do it

total = $800 ish?

(correct my pricing if its wrong)

You need much more than one battery, and goggles are a much better and much more immersive solution for flying. For a radio solution, you could get that turnigy thing that comes with an SBUS receivef and that'll work pretty well, but a Taranis is a much better (but more expensive) solution. 

I created a list in my signature that should give you a whole system for around $500.

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

You need much more than one battery, and goggles are a much better and much more immersive solution for flying. For a radio solution, you could get that turnigy thing that comes with an SBUS receivef and that'll work pretty well, but a Taranis is a much better (but more expensive) solution. 

I created a list in my signature that should give you a whole system for around $500.

also, the camera on the vortex looks like shit. any way to get a better camera like maybe a 720 p or 800tvl? (ps:ill go check out your builds)

also, the camera on the vortex looks like shit. any way to get a better camera like maybe a 720 p or 800tvl? (ps:ill go check out your builds)

It's about 600tvl, the standard for fpv aircraft. This is just for control, you usually also run an HD camera on top of the aircraft. It has to be so low in resolution otherwise there would be latency in the video system, something you can't have if you want to fly the aircraft with anything resembling precision. 

There is the Connex HD system, but that's about $500 and is super bulky. It's not an elegant solution. 

ASU

6 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

It's about 600tvl, the standard for fpv aircraft. This is just for control, you usually also run an HD camera on top of the aircraft. It has to be so low in resolution otherwise there would be latency in the video system, something you can't have if you want to fly the aircraft with anything resembling precision. 

There is the Connex HD system, but that's about $500 and is super bulky. It's not an elegant solution. 

I don't think I made my point clear and I apologize for that. What I want is a AP drone at a price point competitive with the phantom 3 pro and was wondering whether to buy (for the ease of use because honestly I find drones INSANELY hard to comprehend but at the same time impeccably interesting) or to build (for maybe a better price and the experience) my only needs are the price point I specified above and something that has an HD camera for smooth flying like this (just to explore) 

Some other points I would like to make is that 1: I don't need a gimbal for a camera 2: i only need fpv, no photography 3: I want something that I can take riding with me on the back of my snowmobile and stop, get out and fly in ~2/3 of a mile radius or more. and 4: i dont have a tablet to use as a display so things like the phantom 3 are a bit iffy because I would have to buy a tablet (or use my phone but im not to happy about that)

8 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

-snip

ok it seem 3 km for distance is standard so I would like to heighten my standards to that

9 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

Snip

Ah okay. Check out the Autel Robotics X-star Premium https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1243948-REG/autel_robotics_xsprmor_x_star_premium_quadcopter_with.html. Now the video feed is going to have a good bit of latency, but that's because it's a digital signal that's at a much higher resolution. I believe it is also really low frame rate aswell. I've seen a phantom's feed live, imagine trying to play crisis on Intel graphics, Max settings at 4k.

1. If you've not flying fpv, you want a gimbal. 

2. Don't understand that one. 

3. Then maybe consider the DJI Mavic, that thing is amazing. 

4. Why can't you use your phone? 

Edit: the parot bebob is a piece of crap, don't buy it. 

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Ah okay. Check out the Autel Robotics X-star Premium https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1243948-REG/autel_robotics_xsprmor_x_star_premium_quadcopter_with.html. Now the video feed is going to have a good bit of latency, but that's because it's a digital signal that's at a much higher resolution. I believe it is also really low frame rate aswell. I've seen a phantom's feed live, imagine trying to play crisis on Intel graphics, Max settings at 4k.

1. If you've not flying fpv, you want a gimbal. 

2. Don't understand that one. 

3. Then maybe consider the DJI Mavic, that thing is amazing. 

4. Why can't you use your phone? 

ok I have some questions, statements, and clarifications

questions:

1: can I expect at least 30 FPS from the phantom 3 and what you linked me?

statements:

1: mavic is my last option because of its price point when i could get a Bebop 2 for $400

2:I would not like to use my phone because im not a big fan of the screen size, not that i wouldnt buy something because of that but i would like something like note 7 sized (I have an s5)

clarifications:

1: I need to see a live feed from the drone, I do not need to record said feed

2 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

ok I have some questions, statements, and clarifications

questions:

1: can I expect at least 30 FPS from the phantom 3 and what you linked me?

statements:

1: mavic is my last option because of its price point when i could get a Bebop 2 for $400

2:I would not like to use my phone because im not a big fan of the screen size, not that i wouldnt buy something because of that but i would like something like note 7 sized (I have an s5)

clarifications:

1: I need to see a live feed from the drone, I do not need to record said feed

Answer:

30 fps? I don't think so. From what I've seen with my own eyes, a live feed from a phantom 3 advanced to an Android tablet looked to be about 10 fps. The recording on the other hand I believe can go up to 60fps depending on your recording resolution. 

Response:

1. I really think you should reconsider the Mavic as its tiny and comparable if not better than a phantom 4. You want a gimbal as that allows you to manipulate the camera without manipulating the aircraft, something the bebop can't do. Also of I remember correctly, the bebop has really crappy video. Also, it's made of fucking Styrofoam. That is not an acceptable material to make an expensive multirotor out of, I'm sorry. 

2. I mean I guess there's the new gopro karma, but I believe the screen on that remote is about the same size as your average phone. Personally, I don't particularly like the karma in comparison to the Mavic as gopro is a camera company, not a multirotor company. Maybe it's really good, I don't know. I haven't heard much about the gopro karma. 

What do you need to oversee? Also recording your footage is very useful so you can review the footage incase you missed something or your memory fails you. Not to mention the much higher frame rate. 

ASU

5 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Answer:

30 fps? I don't think so. From what I've seen with my own eyes, a live feed from a phantom 3 advanced to an Android tablet looked to be about 10 fps. The recording on the other hand I believe can go up to 60fps depending on your recording resolution. 

Response:

1. I really think you should reconsider the Mavic as its tiny and comparable if not better than a phantom 4. You want a gimbal as that allows you to manipulate the camera without manipulating the aircraft, something the bebop can't do. Also of I remember correctly, the bebop has really crappy video. Also, it's made of fucking Styrofoam. That is not an acceptable material to make an expensive multirotor out of, I'm sorry. 

2. I mean I guess there's the new gopro karma, but I believe the screen on that remote is about the same size as your average phone. Personally, I don't particularly like the karma in comparison to the Mavic as gopro is a camera company, not a multirotor company. Maybe it's really good, I don't know. I haven't heard much about the gopro karma. 

What do you need to oversee? Also recording your footage is very useful so you can review the footage incase you missed something or your memory fails you. Not to mention the much higher frame rate. 

ok so at my current state I am considering a Phantom 3 or a mavic because I've seen phantom reviews, videos and text, that show 30 fps and only slight static. with all this talk about racing It seems pretty interesting, but I have VERY LIMITED drone experience and I think i would be pretty good at it but everyone overestimates themselves. a racer would be cheaper and I could put my Sj4000(knockoff gopro) on it. I have no friends who use drones so I dont really know who to go to for help but my descision is between those two. Your thoughts?

ok so at my current state I am considering a Phantom 3 or a mavic because I've seen phantom reviews, videos and text, that show 30 fps and only slight static. with all this talk about racing It seems pretty interesting, but I have VERY LIMITED drone experience and I think i would be pretty good at it but everyone overestimates themselves. a racer would be cheaper and I could put my Sj4000(knockoff gopro) on it. I have no friends who use drones so I dont really know who to go to for help but my descision is between those two. Your thoughts?

Well it sounded before like you wanted to survey an area while traveling around on your snowmobile. Fpv quads aren't limited to racing, but because they're so light and fast, racing is something that happens. Personally, i like going to a park and ripping it to the best of my abilities. I guess the choice is up to you. 

ASU

6 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Well it sounded before like you wanted to survey an area while traveling around on your snowmobile. Fpv quads aren't limited to racing, but because they're so light and fast, racing is something that happens. Personally, i like going to a park and ripping it to the best of my abilities. I guess the choice is up to you. 

Ive recently been introduced to the freedom that racers give you and it seem unparalleled by any dji device. Is there any racer, like the vortex that runs on maybe a 800tvl to compromise between my want to fly fast (eventually because im a beginner) and my want for quality?

3 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

Ive recently been introduced to the freedom that racers give you and it seem unparalleled by any dji device. Is there any racer, like the vortex that runs on maybe a 800tvl to compromise between my want to fly fast (eventually because im a beginner) and my want for quality?

With 800tvl, I believe there is some noticeable latency. Sure you could get a 1200tvl camera, but when it comes to precision and latency, 600 is the sweetspot. I think it would be in your best interest to build your own so you know the ins and outs of your aircraft to make it easier to fix when you crash (when, not if). Also, like building a computer, it allows you to customize your parts to best suite your needs from the aircraft. For example, I run 2300kv motors instead of 2600kv motors to give me more torque to increase response on the massive 6" triblade props I run. Sure this may sacrifice some power on a punch out, but the extra torque allows me to spin the props up really quickly which makes my aircraft feel very responsive.

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

With 800tvl, I believe there is some noticeable latency. Sure you could get a 1200tvl camera, but when it comes to precision and latency, 600 is the sweetspot. I think it would be in your best interest to build your own so you know the ins and outs of your aircraft to make it easier to fix when you crash (when, not if). Also, like building a computer, it allows you to customize your parts to best suite your needs from the aircraft. For example, I run 2300kv motors instead of 2600kv motors to give me more torque to increase response on the massive 6" triblade props I run. Sure this may sacrifice some power on a punch out, but the extra torque allows me to spin the props up really quickly which makes my aircraft feel very responsive.

ok, I guess I ll go into looking to build one, although I have no one to ask questions to and I just feel alone In this hobby. I guess Ill educate myself through the internet. Thanks for all your help in making this decision. (PS: what are your thoughts on racer kits because Im such a Nooooooooob)

5 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

ok, I guess I ll go into looking to build one, although I have no one to ask questions to and I just feel alone In this hobby. I guess Ill educate myself through the internet. Thanks for all your help in making this decision. (PS: what are your thoughts on racer kits because Im such a Nooooooooob)

I talk about this in my So You Want A Drone guide, but when it comes to fpv aircraft, I think it's much better to build your own. The Vendetta and the Vortex 250 are good, but your own custom aircraft is probably going to be better for you. 

Edit: I believe California is pretty big for fpv aircraft, the DR1 race was in the LA canal and I know a few pilots live there. 

ASU