external HDD causing problems

neocronix2

For about a week my external HDD (WD Elements 500GB) is causing problems. When i plug it into my front usb3 port and start copying files to it, it sometimes drops the transfer speed down to 26 MB/s and makes al of my programs unresponsive. Programs that are already open before this happens just become unresponsive and i cant really open any new programs succesfully. So i try to cancel the filetransfer, which doesn't work. I tried shutting down my pc, but it would stay on while "Logging off..." was on the screen for several hours until i held the power button down. Only when i unplugged the external HDD it would shut down immediatly. Last thing i did was download my USB3 drivers again and try reinstalling them, but i got the error "The installation program can not install one or more of the device drivers. The installation program is being shut down." 

does anyone know what is causing this?

12 minutes ago, neocronix2 said:

For about a week my external HDD (WD Elements 500GB) is causing problems. When i plug it into my front usb3 port and start copying files to it, it sometimes drops the transfer speed down to 26 MB/s and makes al of my programs unresponsive. Programs that are already open before this happens just become unresponsive and i cant really open any new programs succesfully. So i try to cancel the filetransfer, which doesn't work. I tried shutting down my pc, but it would stay on while "Logging off..." was on the screen for several hours until i held the power button down. Only when i unplugged the external HDD it would shut down immediatly. Last thing i did was download my USB3 drivers again and try reinstalling them, but i got the error "The installation program can not install one or more of the device drivers. The installation program is being shut down." 

does anyone know what is causing this?

Maybe your internal HDD is failing.

I edit my posts a lot.

1 minute ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Maybe your internal HDD is failing.

I have multiple internal HDD and the problem occured with two different HDD's