Everything burned out cause of EK WATERBLOCK

Go to solution Solved by EPPHO,

You should contact whoever you can. 

Hi,

Well last night I was building my high end rig with 2 1080,s an asus formula viii, an i7 6700k and such. I put everything together check the fittings very carefully, non of them was leaking. I put it in the case and run it, I have been checking every fitting for the leak but everything was fine than all of sudden there was smoke everywhere and the pc shutdown, I dismount everything and found out that the water block of my 2nd gpu was leaking not from fittings not from anywhere where the water was supposed to be, but the liquid wen from the circular area to the bottom end and dropped directly into the PCI slot which caused the burning. I might be stupid enough to run the whole system but the fault was not from my hand. The block itself was not in good condition.  Now I have burned my gpu, motherboard and PSU not sure about the cpu I just hope its safe. Now I won't have any sort of warrant from asus as the gpu was dissembled to mount the water block neither in case of mobo cause it was because of water, I might by lucky enough to get a replacement from corsair as it was not the case that the liquid went into it. But shall I claim to EK because of there faulty product?

20161008_073046.jpg

20161007_210255.jpg

20161007_210236.jpg

Yes. EK doesn't sound like a profitable company, anyway.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

I just realised that I ordered them from amazon not directly from EK, shall I still contact the EK

Just now, danyaldaniamed said:

I just realised that I ordered them from amazon not directly from EK, shall I still contact the EK

Yeah, contact EK. Amazon can't help you.

Though for future reference, you should never turn on your system without testing the loop with just the pump on. I get that in this case it is EK's fault for the faulty block, but you shouldn't ever risk powering the full system without doing a run without any system components having power (Only the pump being on).

7 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, contact EK. Amazon can't help you.

Though for future reference, you should never turn on your system without testing the loop with just the pump on. I get that in this case it is EK's fault for the faulty block, but you shouldn't ever risk powering the full system without doing a run without any system components having power (Only the pump being on).

I did that with my loop because i didnt have extra psu and pins to trick it.

Just now, xgn said:

You can just plug in the pump and use a metal paper clip, wire, or anything somewhat bendable with metal to touch the wires needed in the 24 pin to turn the PSU on. Touch the green wire to any of the black wires and the PSU will stay on.

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

You can just plug in the pump and use a metal paper clip, wire, or anything somewhat bendable with metal to touch the wires needed in the 24 pin to turn the PSU on. Touch the green wire to any of the black wires and the PSU will stay on.

Chances are after leaktesting for 24h. If you had a bad block like OP. It would break once you turn it on.

6 minutes ago, xgn said:

or you could have gotten one of these they aren't very expensive. https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/bleeding_24-pin_jump_start_connector_for_power_supply_black/

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

6 minutes ago, xgn said:

Chances are after leaktesting for 24h. If you had a bad block like OP. It would break once you turn it on.

How would it break because you power the full system on?

I'm pretty sure the pressure from the pump alone (With only the pump on) would single out any leaks even from a bad block like the OP.

8 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

How would it break because you power the full system on?

I'm pretty sure the pressure from the pump alone (With only the pump on) would single out any leaks even from a bad block like the OP.

once you power the system up, there will be heat added to the block. During testing there is no HEAT. so there is no heat expansion.

That block would never have passed QC since they're all pressure tested at the factory. 

Even my old Supremacy EVO was fine after a jet plate swap. 

Definitely ordered from the EK retailer on Amazon? Or was it Amazon themselves? 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

13 minutes ago, Prysin said:

once you power the system up, there will be heat added to the block. During testing there is no HEAT. so there is no heat expansion.

I don't know...even at system startup, I don't think there's enough heat at idle to cause the plate to expand like that. I'd understand if the OP had managed to get the leak while running stress tests, but I don't think the OP managed to get the system on long enough to even install Windows or generate any kind of load on the system.

Wouldn't heat expansion make the seal tighter anyway?

6 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I don't know...even at system startup, I don't think there's enough heat at idle to cause the plate to expand like that. I'd understand if the OP had managed to get the leak while running stress tests, but I don't think the OP managed to get the system on long enough to even install Windows or generate any kind of load on the system.

Wouldn't heat expansion make the seal tighter anyway?

modern CPUs will hit 80c or more in SECONDS if they dont have a cooler on them.

Expansion might make it tighter, depends on the way the seal is designed. Expansion happens horizontally before vertically when there is anything pushing from above (aka the top section of the block.

Just now, Prysin said:

modern CPUs will hit 80c or more in SECONDS if they dont have a cooler on them.

Expansion might make it tighter, depends on the way the seal is designed. Expansion happens horizontally before vertically when there is anything pushing from above (aka the top section of the block.

Ah, okay, makes sense. Yeah, I do know a CPU will overheat in seconds without a cooler, but wouldn't the water in the loop be able to keep it cool (at least on idle for system startup)?

Yeah, I'm just curious since I don't play with watercooling at all (I'll get there someday). Just watch a ton of videos on it.

@EK Luc @EK_Derick This is for you. I suggest getting in touch with the OP :)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

3 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Ah, okay, makes sense. Yeah, I do know a CPU will overheat in seconds without a cooler, but wouldn't the water in the loop be able to keep it cool (at least on idle for system startup)?

Yeah, I'm just curious since I don't play with watercooling at all (I'll get there someday). Just watch a ton of videos on it.

metal is way more efficient at absorbing heat then water. So the metal will get hot and start expand before the loop can take the heat totally away. once there is a crack, the water will take the path of least resistance and escape the block. This will drop the head pressure, slow down flow and cause heat transfer and thus thermal expansion to slow down further.

6 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

That block would never have passed QC since they're all pressure tested at the factory. 

Even my old Supremacy EVO was fine after a jet plate swap. 

Definitely ordered from the EK retailer on Amazon? Or was it Amazon themselves? 

Well it says from ek but dispatched from someone else i don't know here the pic of one I ordered. 

Screenshot_20161008-175200.png

13 minutes ago, danyaldaniamed said:

Well it says from ek but dispatched from someone else i don't know here the pic of one I ordered. 

Could have been a returned item that wasn't checked and relisted. That does happen. 

For EK (or anything really) stuff, get it from them directly or a known good retailer available to you. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

That's weird. Never had a component fry from water. Guess I'm just extremely lucky. I just put my stuff together and turn it on. I never use a jumper. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

It seems Amazon are the middle man here, as Kikatek dispatched and sold the product. It was obviously made by EK though, so they are responsible for any manufacturing defects. Legally speaking, I am unclear seeing as you purchased from Amazon, not Kikatek (does it say fulfilled by Amazon?), but typically it is the re-seller who is responsible... of course, if you can speak with EK directly and get a resolution, all the better. I feel for you man, this is a really crappy thing to have happened with all that expensive gear... very rare occurrence though. I really hope you are able to get some compensation.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

Sorry to see this, but this is excellent reminder not to skip on leak testing your system. Ek will replace block, but not your fried electronics.

On 08/10/2016 at 5:47 AM, danyaldaniamed said:

Hi,

Well last night I was building my high end rig with 2 1080,s an asus formula viii, an i7 6700k and such. I put everything together check the fittings very carefully, non of them was leaking. I put it in the case and run it, I have been checking every fitting for the leak but everything was fine than all of sudden there was smoke everywhere and the pc shutdown, I dismount everything and found out that the water block of my 2nd gpu was leaking not from fittings not from anywhere where the water was supposed to be, but the liquid wen from the circular area to the bottom end and dropped directly into the PCI slot which caused the burning. I might be stupid enough to run the whole system but the fault was not from my hand. The block itself was not in good condition.  Now I have burned my gpu, motherboard and PSU not sure about the cpu I just hope its safe. Now I won't have any sort of warrant from asus as the gpu was dissembled to mount the water block neither in case of mobo cause it was because of water, I might by lucky enough to get a replacement from corsair as it was not the case that the liquid went into it. But shall I claim to EK because of there faulty product?

Sorry about that :(

Open a ticket on our website and they will be able to tell you if it's fine to RMA the block directly or if you have to go through Amazon.  Normally, you have to go through the reseller who sold you the block but since it's Amazon, it might be different.

Link for the ticket : https://ekwb.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

i know jayztwocents on youtube deals with EK brand a lot in his videos. may try contacting him

30 minutes ago, Rex5150 said:

i know jayztwocents on youtube deals with EK brand a lot in his videos. may try contacting him

I ll try, thanks