Life with the LG G2 (aka a review)

TopWargamer

So I've my LG G2 for a whopping...2 days at the time of posting this. Tinkered around with it, and now I think I can write up a little review on the phone. If you're friends with me here on LTT, you've already seen me rant and rave about the G2, but uh...you know...you should still at least skim through my review.

:)

Hardware

The G2 is one the fastest phones out right now. The only phones that can compare to it (as of my knowledge) are the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, the soon-to-be-released Xiaomi Mi3, and the soon-to-be-announced Google Nexus 5. The G2 packs a 2.26GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 chip that has Adreno 330 graphics, 2GB of RAM, a humongous 3000mAH battery, 13MP camera, and last but not least, a 5.2 inch 1080p screen. 

The Snapdragon 800 is a beast of a CPU, no doubt about that, but LG's UI for Android 4.2 makes the entire phone seem...sluggish, and that's no bueno. LG's UI uses up roughly 1.4GB of the 2GB of RAM, which is insane. I often find myself clearing out the RAM to keep the phone as speedy as it can be, but the UI is just...bad.

b5oE0k3.png?1

(Phone's free RAM AFTER clearing it out.)

Today I only cleared out my phone's RAM 2 or 3 times. Before writing up this review, I went to go take a picture. So I had to unlock my phone, open up the camera, take the picture, then open up the gallery, because I wanted to share the picture. You know how when your phone has a battery life of 10% or less and your phone starts to slow down to save on battery life? That's how it felt, except it was slower than that. I think I've made my point here.

Now onto the camera. Unlike LG's UI, the camera is actually really good. I recommend using LG's stock camera app, because I noticed that when using a different camera app, Focal for example, it'll make the quality of the image look not as good, at least in my experience. Here's a few images from the camera along with a video. 

Fun fact: The G2's camera can shoot in 1080p at 60 FPS.

p17kmSQ.png?1gxGmN24.jpg?1lmFxfjl.jpg?1

Aptkz7k.jpg?1l9VjtDu.jpg?1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XotA9Z1i_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XotA9Z1i_E

Features

Other than the pre-installed bloatware, the G2 does have some nice features. The one I like the most is called Knock-On. This lets you double tap on the screen to turn it on or put it to sleep. The less you have to touch those buttons on the back, the better. The buttons on the back really are not a big deal though. Don't worry about it. 

Another nifty feature is the ability to save an app state. To do this, you have to swipe with 3 fingers from right to left. This then saves the app state for use at a later time (aka nomming on that little RAM left). So let's say you're playing Fruit Ninja and you're score is at 8990. You're so close to getting over 9000, but you need to go take some pictures of your dinner to put on Instagram, because priorities. So you can save the app state, pull up your camera, do your thing, and then do a 3 finger swipe from left to right to pull up any and all app states saved. You can then select Fruit Ninja and continue your quest to get that over 9000 score. 

Rooting

This was the first time I have ever rooted one of my phones, and to be honest, the process was very, very simple. All you have to do is

1) Plug your phone into your computer

2) Download this program that does the rooting for you, and follow its instructions

The entire process took less than 5 minutes. If you want to root your G2, go to this XDA thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=45692679#post45692679

Oh, and there's an unroot process: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2448960&highlight=unroot

The only downside to rooting your G2 is that on the Verizon G2s, and only the Verizon G2s, in the about phone section under settings, it shows the rooted status of your phone (aka unrooted or rooted). And this is why it's important that there's the unroot process. 

oiFcTqv.png?1

So should you get this phone? Yes, but install a custom ROM such as Cyanogenmod to get a much smoother experience, which is what I will be doing once the CM noob-friendly installer comes out. 

I believe I covered the essentials. If there are any questions, ask them away and I'll answer them as best as I can. 

COMIC SANS

I have a LG G2 as well, very nice phone. The Verizon version is very nice because the buttons on the back are much more smaller(which is preferred by me).

The UI could be better in my opinion, but that's what ROM's are for!

Nice review, it's a very nice phone(shouldn't this be moved to Member Reviews though?).

Nice review, it's a very nice phone(shouldn't this be moved to Member Reviews though?).

I forgot that there was a forum section for that...

This is what I get for typing up a review at 1 in the morning.

;_;

COMIC SANS

Nice review btw. 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Thanks for sharing. Did you notice a drop in camera quality with the custom ROM?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Thanks for sharing. Did you notice a drop in camera quality with the custom ROM?

I haven't installed Cyanogenmod yet, so I can't say. Again, I'm waiting for CM to come out with their simple installer. 

COMIC SANS

Lol Nope

oiFcTqv.png?1

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I have an HTC One but god damn if I don't want the fuck out of this phone. It's shiny

• 4 weeks later...