Is one fan enough?

kittycannon

Wasn't entirely sure where to put this topic so don't get annoyed

I am thinking about getting a ASUS 6gb turbo GTX 1060 or a EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC Gaming HDMI 3xDP 6GB and was wondering if 1 fan would be enough to sufficiently cool the PC.

20161001_161420.jpg20161001_162156.jpg

(my hand is there only to cover a code which I don't even think is important)

The power supply is also going to be changed if I get a new card. Do I need to get a new case with more fan spots?

case fans doesn't matter, but your cpu matter to gpu. What is your cpu?

12 minutes ago, kittycannon said:

Snip

yes a single fan should be enough for you. you could always turn up the fans speed if you're worried about insufficient flow. the GTX 1060 isn't a very hot card, so it shouldn't generate an enormous amount of heat for your case like a Titan or AMD card would.

If you're paranoid about airflow, get the turbo card. it will perform slightly less than the EVGA card and be slightly louder, but it will exhaust all of the air it uses out the back of the case on its own without adding heat to your case. they're designed for exactly what you're concerned about.

But the EVGA card should work quite well in your case as 1060's don't generate a lot of heat to begin with.

1 hour ago, PCNoobie said:

case fans doesn't matter, but your cpu matter to gpu. What is your cpu?

An i5-4570 @ 3.20ghz.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It has the pins for the card and has been working fine for the three? years that I've had the computer. although, the gt 640 probably didn't draw much power though. I'm pretty sure the psu is 600w though.

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

yes a single fan should be enough for you. you could always turn up the fans speed if you're worried about insufficient flow. the GTX 1060 isn't a very hot card, so it shouldn't generate an enormous amount of heat for your case like a Titan or AMD card would.

If you're paranoid about airflow, get the turbo card. it will perform slightly less than the EVGA card and be slightly louder, but it will exhaust all of the air it uses out the back of the case on its own without adding heat to your case. they're designed for exactly what you're concerned about.

But the EVGA card should work quite well in your case as 1060's don't generate a lot of heat to begin with.

I'm not to worried as long as the cards prices aren't too far apart and the temps aren't too hot (so I could do some overclocking down the road).

43 minutes ago, kittycannon said:

It has the pins for the card and has been working fine for the three? years that I've had the computer. although, the gt 640 probably didn't draw much power though. I'm pretty sure the psu is 600w though.

Id just use the built in psu. It won't hurt you system if there is a problem and you can get a new one later if it fails(very unlikey)

35 minutes ago, kittycannon said:

I'm not to worried as long as the cards prices aren't too far apart and the temps aren't too hot (so I could do some overclocking down the road).

if you're interested in chasing overclocks I would more strongly recommend the EVGA card. blower style coolers like the Asus turbo card usually don't cool themselves effectively enough to really allow you to stretch your legs when overclocking (or they get extremely loud in the process of doing so). but again, 1060's don't get very hot. you could use either card just fine even for overclocking.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just use the built in psu. It won't hurt you system if there is a problem and you can get a new one later if it fails(very unlikey)

Just worried about frying the card.

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

if you're interested in chasing overclocks I would more strongly recommend the EVGA card. blower style coolers like the Asus turbo card usually don't cool themselves effectively enough to really allow you to stretch your legs when overclocking (or they get extremely loud in the process of doing so). but again, 1060's don't get very hot. you could use either card just fine even for overclocking.

Will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Where is intake fan in that case (if it has any)? The fan in pics is exhaust.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Where is intake fan in that case (if it has any)? The fan in pics is exhaust.

There isn't any as far as I can see. There are holes in the case but no fan.

Can you post some more photos--specifically a side view of the system?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

20161001_162401.jpg20161001_161453.jpg

(the red and grey thing is a power bank covering a sticker)

I was surprised that the stock cooler wasn't used, although this may be similar in performance. I don't know.

I would say just get another one to prevent any problems.  I had a Case similar to yours a while back and when i put a graphics card in, it ran really hot. Mainly this is because it had no intake fan and only had one small rear exhaust fan.  Investing in 1 fan is pretty low cost, $5-9, i mean even buying only one high quality fan is only $20-$30

3 minutes ago, bossgivol said:

I would say just get another one to prevent any problems.  I had a Case similar to yours a while back and when i put a graphics card in, it ran really hot. Mainly this is because it had no intake fan and only had one small rear exhaust fan.  Investing in 1 fan is pretty low cost, $5-9, i mean even buying only one high quality fan is only $20-$30

I could cut a hole in the side of the case and mount It but It would be the last thing I'd do. I'm wanting to get a branded psu eg: EVGA, etc...

Not even sure if a new psu would fit but I can probably find one. Wanting to keep the temp on that fairly low.

3 hours ago, kittycannon said:

(the red and grey thing is a power bank covering a sticker)

I was surprised that the stock cooler wasn't used, although this may be similar in performance. I don't know.

The case seems to be the biggest limiting factor and I'd recommend either modding in another fan mount on the side panel for intake or getting a new case.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, kittycannon said:

Those side vents look pretty good. You could fit fan to lower and maybe mod anotner to upper (would be over GPU). Getting new PSU or even changing case could be issue. Pre-builds are known to use non-ATX mobos and PSUs. From pics I can already see that mobo isn't ATX. Finding new case which would support it will be difficult. Unless you want to go for extreme modding.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

24 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Those side vents look pretty good. You could fit fan to lower and maybe mod anotner to upper (would be over GPU). Getting new PSU or even changing case could be issue. Pre-builds are known to use non-ATX mobos and PSUs. From pics I can already see that mobo isn't ATX. Finding new case which would support it will be difficult. Unless you want to go for extreme modding.

According to the HP website, the motherboard is: uATX: 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches).

PSU (according to HP): Internal 600 Watt (100V-240V)
Form Factor: internal ATX

Dimensions: 150mm x 140mm x 86mm (5.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches)

May not be entirely accurate to what my computer is but I am 99% sure it is. 

1 minute ago, kittycannon said:

According to the HP website, the motherboard is: uATX: 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches).

PSU (according to HP): Internal 600 Watt (100V-240V)
Form Factor: internal ATX

Dimensions: 150mm x 140mm x 86mm (5.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches)

May not be entirely accurate to what my computer is but I am 99% sure it is. 

Actually now that I look again, mobo is just backwards. So you should be good changing case to any mATX supported. Same with PSU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Actually now that I look again, mobo is just backwards. So you should be good changing case to any mATX supported. Same with PSU.

Very good to know, thanks!

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The case seems to be the biggest limiting factor and I'd recommend either modding in another fan mount on the side panel for intake or getting a new case.

Was thinking about a new case but seeing as this is my first tower I don't want to take the risk of breaking something although I'm probably gonna have to move the parts.

(cutting a hole in the case is probably worse than moving the parts though)

1 minute ago, kittycannon said:

Was thinking about a new case but seeing as this is my first tower I don't want to take the risk of breaking something although I'm probably gonna have to move the parts.

(cutting a hole in the case is probably worse than moving the parts though)

You can move mobo and CPU as one, even RAM could be left on mobo. PSU and case cables are the hard part. But if you take good pics and label everything, it will be fine. And its good practice.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv