Asus 660ti DCUII OC SLI Issues

Dizorb

Hey guys

I got a second Asus 660ti DCUII OC and obviously want to SLI them.

Having installed the card, I looked at the Nvidia control panel in Windows. Under 3D Settings, there should be a 'Configure Surround, SLI and PhysX' option. However, there isn't.

I've updated to the latest drivers from the Nvidia website and also used Asus' UEFI tool to update the bios' on both cards (which involved swapping them around to update them, that was fun). 

The cards are the same, but having looked at the box I noticed a slight difference. My first card is the GTX660 TI-DC2OG-2GD5 and the second is the GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5. The only difference, according to Asus' website, is that the one with the extra G is the Borderlands 2 version while the second is the normal version. So basically, they are the same card. I don't really see what the issue is.

Yes, I have got the SLI bridge on the cards.

Yes, both of the cards have power.

Yes, my motherboard (Asus p8Z77-V) supports SLI. It has 3 PCI lanes, with the first two being 8x and 8x in an SLI configuration. The fourth lane is a 4x lane, so we'll leave that one alone.

Really not sure what else to do. It seems stupid that something as simple as an extra game with an otherwise identical graphics card should make it not work, it would be common sense on Nvidia's part to keep the card's product number the same for both, surely.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dizorb

Current gaming rig: i5 3570k, Asus P8Z77-V, Asus GeForce GTX 660Ti, Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) 1600MHz (blue), Corsair AX760i, Corsair Graphite 600T, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, NZXT Hue, NZXT Sentry Mesh, WD Caviar Black 1TB.

Current gaming laptop: Scan 3XS Graphite LG175, i7 4700QM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M, Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) 1600MHZ, Samsung 840 Pro 128gb, WD Scorpio Black 500gb.

Try each card individually.  Also, have you uninstalled the driver, THEN installed the cards, then installed the driver after?

i've also heard weird things with SLI just being funky. So it is a bummer it didn't just work. 

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

I uninstalled all of the graphics drivers, installed both cards then re-installed the drivers. Not a whisper about SLI still :/ any other ideas?

Current gaming rig: i5 3570k, Asus P8Z77-V, Asus GeForce GTX 660Ti, Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) 1600MHz (blue), Corsair AX760i, Corsair Graphite 600T, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, NZXT Hue, NZXT Sentry Mesh, WD Caviar Black 1TB.

Current gaming laptop: Scan 3XS Graphite LG175, i7 4700QM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M, Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) 1600MHZ, Samsung 840 Pro 128gb, WD Scorpio Black 500gb.

The second card is not being picked up in the BIOS, only lane one in 8x is being picked up.

I've tried forcing Gen 1/2/3 on each of the lanes and nothing.

got any ideas? The psu is fine and both the gpu's are powering on, fans on, green lights, etc.. just the computer is not recognizing them.

Its just a thought but maybe try updating your motherboard bios, and swap the cards around, 

Do both cards show up in device manager?

I'm currently helping with the problem;

The card does not show under windows at all. Not in DM or anything else, suggesting its not being detected at a hardware level.

I will try updating the BIOS tomorrow, It was too late to start things like that.

I tried swapping the cards over, both of them work fine on their own in the top slot.

One thing to note, I restored the BIOS to defualt, removed the top slot card and only left a card in the second PCI-e slot (white) and the boot failed post at VGA_Led, suggesting there maybe something wrong with the second white PCI-e slot.

I'm going to try more tomorrow. See how it goes. :)

Let us know how the bios update goes but everything seems to be pointing to a motherboard fault, specifically with that second PCI slot

Agreed - me and Kiwi will see what a BIOS update does.

Also, messing around with Nvidia drivers also screwed my audio up somehow. I can't get any outputs to output any sounds... My day is going not too well, I'd say!

Let us know how the bios update goes but everything seems to be pointing to a motherboard fault, specifically with that second PCI slot

I feared so. Which is why i really want to try everything. Also another PCI-e device to check if it is the lane that is causing the issue.

So, when I tried to boot the PC this morning, it reused to post, telling me that my overclock settings weren't working - which is strange, because I have never overclocked the chip (3570k). Tried removing CMOS battery then booting, the PC then posted and we managed to get in to Windows, where the audio still wasn't working and the second graphics card still wasn't being detected. 

All in all, trying to add a second card to an already stable system has effectively caused one thing to lead to another and another, so on and so forth.

We've emailed Asus' technical support, so I'll wait for a response as to whether or not I can RMA the board. I'd straight up get a new one, but I simply can't afford that at the minute, though I will happily sell the board I get back if this one can be RMA'd and get something like a Maximus 5 Gene (Z77, M-ATX). 

It's just been one problem leading to another to another with this motherboard. I've had the thing since January and I've had no problems whatsoever. So strange.

Thanks for the help & comments all!