be quiet! Pure Rock Slim worth it? (Canada)

Chaos_Sorcerer

http://www.ncix.com/detail/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-0d-134309.htm

I've mostly been really happy with Night Fury (specs below). But lately, she's been a little louder than I'd like under load. The R5 does all it can, but that doesn't make up for the stock heatsink.

So is the Pure Rock Slim worth it? It's currently on a pretty big sale at NCIX. Prices are in CANADIAN dollars. 

I really don't care about thermals. Mostly on acoustics. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

What are your load temps? Have you tried lowering fan speeds?

The Pure Rock is better and slightly cheaper: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/cwPzK8/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk009

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Seems to idle around 35 degrees. At load, around 55. 

How do I lower the fan speed? Do I have to go into the BIOS?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

2 hours ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Seems to idle around 35 degrees. At load, around 55. 

How do I lower the fan speed? Do I have to go into the BIOS?

55c is very low. You're fine up to 80-90c at load.

Yes, you can lower the fan speed in the motherboard settings.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

55c is very low. You're fine up to 80-90c at load.

Yes, you can lower the fan speed in the motherboard settings.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Sorry...it's my first build. I'm also rather inexperienced with the forum, so I'd assumed that any topic a user replies to sends out notifications.

Thanks for the reply, by the way!

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Sorry...it's my first build. I'm also rather inexperienced with the forum, so I'd assumed that any topic a user replies to sends out notifications.

There's an option to follow threads at the top right but most members prefer not to be spammed with many notifications form other replies. 

On 10/3/2016 at 1:39 PM, WoodenMarker said:

There's an option to follow threads at the top right but most members prefer not to be spammed with many notifications form other replies. 

No option to lower fan speed in my BIOS. What should I do?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

No option to lower fan speed in my BIOS. What should I do?

Are you using the stock cooler? What options do you see in the motherboard settings?

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

Are you using the stock cooler? What options do you see in the motherboard settings?

Yes. Didn't see any option to lower the speed of any fan, really.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Just now, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Yes. Didn't see any option to lower the speed of any fan, really.

Is the fan plugged into the cpu_fan header?

I wasn't asking what you didn't see. I'm asking about what you did see. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Is the fan plugged into the cpu_fan header?

I wasn't asking what you didn't see. I'm asking about what you did see. 

Yes, it is. In the "Voltage" menu, I saw a few options to "disable things"...not much else.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Yes, it is. In the "Voltage" menu, I saw a few options to "disable things"...not much else.

Can you post a photo of what you see?

17 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Can you post a photo of what you see?

Can't. You know what...I think I'll just stick with the acoustics of the stock cooler for now...and just upgrade to a better one when I upgrade my CPU. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Can't. You know what...I think I'll just stick with the acoustics of the stock cooler for now...and just upgrade to a better one when I upgrade my CPU. 

No smartphone?

14 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

No smartphone?

No. I still don't have one...:(

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

No. I still don't have one...:(

Do you see any option to swap modes to Advanced, Smart Tweak or Classic?

If you can do that, you should be able to find the fan settings under the Hardware Monitor or Monitoring section. 

30 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Do you see any option to swap modes to Advanced, Smart Tweak or Classic?

If you can do that, you should be able to find the fan settings under the Hardware Monitor or Monitoring section. 

So there are the following tabs: MIT, System Information, BIOS Features, Peripherals, Chipset, and Power Management. Under MIT, there are options called "Advanced Frequency Settings", "Advanced Memory Settings", "Advanced Voltage Settings", and "Miscellaneous Settings". I couldn't find anything concerning the CPU fan there. Then I went to BIOS Features and Power Management, but all they had was managing power voltage to the CPU. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

So there are the following tabs: MIT, System Information, BIOS Features, Peripherals, Chipset, and Power Management. Under MIT, there are options called "Advanced Frequency Settings", "Advanced Memory Settings", "Advanced Voltage Settings", and "Miscellaneous Settings". I couldn't find anything concerning the CPU fan there. Then I went to BIOS Features and Power Management, but all they had was managing power voltage to the CPU. 

Look under Miscellaneous. Is there no section called PC Health Status?

You really should look through each and every setting--it's not that hard. 

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Look under Miscellaneous. Is there no section called PC Health Status?

You really should look through each and every setting--it's not that hard. 

Sorry...it's just that I have to shut down the PC every time I want to go and take a look. Doing so now...

Oh my God...thank you so, so, much! Didn't think to look there at first. I'm sorry if I've wasted more of your time than you would've liked. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Sorry...it's just that I have to shut down the PC every time I want to go and take a look. Doing so now...

Oh my God...thank you so, so, much! Didn't think to look there at first. I'm sorry if I've wasted more of your time than you would've liked. 

No worries.

Did that fix your problem? 

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

No worries.

Did that fix your problem? 

Yes, sir! Obviously louder under load than on idle, but it's barely audible. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler