6700k motherboard overclock

Letharas
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

You need z170

You need z170

2 hours ago, dexxterlab97 said:

You need z170

Actually you dont... B150 or H170 with BCLK chip like Hyper series from Asrock allow you to overclock even nonK CPUs.

I just build a PC using one, I might do a guide and post later how to oc using the H170 mobo :)

If you mean overclock using the CPU multiplier then yes you need z170. If you mean overclock any way possible, then no you can overclock the BCLK, but that CAN have issues such as overclocking other components that can cause system instability... but there's plenty of people that still use this method of overclocking, just not sure they would do it with an i7 6700k as it seems counter productive paying all that money for a CPU and then wanting to pay $20 less on a motherboard that can overclock with the multiplier.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

The reason for z170 Is that the board usually had more powerful power delivery and can handle the overclock. Otherwise you can overclock with BCLK. 

As of Skylake, bclk only affects cpu,  cache,  and dram. So it is not longer an issue in overclocking other components. Just lower the dram setting and cache ratio to keep these within reason. 

I always OC with BCLK even with k chip and z170 board. Because it keeps your cpu at the overclocked speed. Since cpu defaults to the 40x multiplier. Just turn off c state and turbo boost.  Where as a multiplier oc only overclock the turbo ratio. And the cpu will fluctuate between 4 ghz and your oc speed.