WhatsApp goes against Indian court ruling over user's data collection

zMeul

source: http://mashable.com/2016/09/28/whatsapp-privacy-policy-delhi-high-court-india/#j4cqmVRDHSqD

http://mashable.com/2016/09/23/india-delhi-high-court-whatsapp-facebook/#Gys9Vm8g7kqG

Last week, the Facebook-owned company was ordered by the Delhi High Court to delete data of users who opt out of WhatsApp's privacy policy changes before Sept. 25. WhatsApp was also asked to not use any data of users collected before Sept. 25. 

But WhatsApp has told Mashable India that it is sharing information with Facebook as planned. The company said the Delhi High Court's directive hasn't impacted its planned changes in WhatsApp's terms and privacy policy, which came into effect past Sunday. "The ruling has no impact on the planned policy and terms of service updates," WhatsApp spokesperson Anne Yeh said in a statement.

WhatsApp could make a case that it's an American company so it doesn't come under India's legislation, according to Amlan Mohanty, a lawyer and internet activist. But this argument won't hold water, he added, since "they have such a vast presence in India". WhatsApp has over 100 million monthly active users in India. 

WhatsApp announced last month that it will begin sharing some account information of its customers with Facebook to “improve experience across [...] services” and “fight spam and abuse.” Elaborating on its website, WhatsApp says "account information" of users include their mobile phone number as well as those of people who are in their address book. The information also includes users' "profile name, profile picture, and status message."

these fuckers won't stop and they behave like they above the law of any country

just days ago a German court ordered FaceBook to stop and delete data collection from german WhatsApp users, 32 million of them - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-facebook-idUSKCN11X149

---

WhatsApp was founded in 2009 by two former Yahoo employees, Brian Acton and Jan Koum

WhatsApp is a cross platform instant messenger with 1 billion users; was acquired by FaceBook in 2014 for 19.3 million $

Facebook is a dying platform tbh. They fuck over the little guy for not making more money than the bigger guys bullying the little guys. Like the SoFlo Antonio situation and H3H3 when Facebook deleted H3H3's page making fun of SoFlo and switched all that page's likes to SoFlo's page. There is also the fee of making your page's posts go to all of your page's likers/followers. It's ridiculous. There is a lot more I could rant about just Facebook.

Why would you think that WhatsApp would be any different in terms of scummy especially when they're owned by Facebook? 

This is why everyone should simply avoid facebook, I block facebook completely with my adblocker so it will never show its face on my PC, if everyone boycotts their stuff they'll eventually die.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

25 minutes ago, Jed M said:

Facebook is a dying platform tbh. They fuck over the little guy for not making more money than the bigger guys bullying the little guys. Like the SoFlo Antonio situation and H3H3 when Facebook deleted H3H3's page making fun of SoFlo and switched all that page's likes to SoFlo's page. There is also the fee of making your page's posts go to all of your page's likers/followers. It's ridiculous. There is a lot more I could rant about just Facebook.

Why would you think that WhatsApp would be any different in terms of scummy especially when they're owned by Facebook? 

Just because it's scummy doesn't mean it's dying.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Just because it's scummy doesn't mean it's dying.

Facebook is more of a grand-pa program. It's been said before, and it will be said again. Facebook is becoming MySpace. SnapChat is great for nudes and chats that most people can't spy on, Instagram is great for posting photos because that is what it is for & dedicated to, Twitter is great for promoting your work to your followers because you don't have to pay money for people that follow you to receive your tweets, etc.

Facebook is a cancer website that spams people, and also they were lying to advertisers, etc. They are a very scummy company.

1 minute ago, Jed M said:

Facebook is more of a grand-pa program. It's been said before, and it will be said again. Facebook is becoming MySpace. SnapChat is great for nudes and chats that most people can't spy on, Instagram is great for posting photos because that is what it is for & dedicated to, Twitter is great for promoting your work to your followers because you don't have to pay money for people that follow you to receive your tweets, etc.

Facebook is a cancer website that spams people, and also they were lying to advertisers, etc. They are a very scummy company.

Yes and no. It definitely isn't appealing to young people, but it's being actively used a lot more than myspace ever was. There are contexts where you end up forced to be on facebook eg. for group communication.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Yes and no. It definitely isn't appealing to young people, but it's being actively used a lot more than myspace ever was. There are contexts where you end up forced to be on facebook eg. for group communication.

I'd rather use Kik than Facebook's retarded messaging system.

20 minutes ago, Jed M said:

Facebook is more of a grand-pa program. It's been said before, and it will be said again. Facebook is becoming MySpace. 

No. It is becoming that on more tech saavy countries sure, but you're miscalculating the tremendous reach it has all over the world. Doubt their US operations leave em much money at this point but they could maintain this shit for decades just with the "abroad" revenue. You're underestimating a company with billions of active subscribers just because they're not as active on the US anymore.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Love how that article's trying to sound objective and then you read "these fuckers won't stop"

it's my comment! not the article

everything outside the quotes is me

5 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

I know, but that doesn't make it any less funny

ok, I'll use motha'fuckers next

how they operate their business doesn't make it less anti-consumer

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Don't use whatsapp. Use telegram. It's better in every way and doesn't want your data.

Unfortunately blocked in my home country because logic.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

The EU is also investigation this situation, wouldn't be surprised if they too will tell WhatsApp/Facebook to remove all data, as Facebook promised to keep the two platforms separate when buying WhatsApp.

Ye ole' train

I dont understand why people use whatsapp when theres texting. Doesnt make much sense to me? Then again I also dont get and dont use snap chat either. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX