What Do You Think About Windows 8.1?

Horrible direct x 11 games not working and scrollbar going back to the top by itself. Should of waited :/

So far, it enrages me. I've never had so many issues with a new version of any OS before.

and what issues are you talking about? i have upgraded 8 to 8.1 and it is awsome. copying files from c to d became faster, PC turns on in 5-6 seconds without SSD (it's all because of hybrid shutdown :P) also colors feel better then in 8 and waaaaay better then in 7. 8.1 has perfect stability and speed. no issues about any game i play. (belive me i play many games :)  )

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

8.1 is proof Microsoft is back pedaling on their UI BS as the world is not agreeing with their direction, ok except for a few of you. Start Menu is back!

You the Start Button is back? It was removed due to complaints.. so they back pedaling on User feedback... they should have not listen to them, if that is what you mean.

Horrible direct x 11 games not working and scrollbar going back to the top by itself. Should of waited :/

What? Why do you care about horrible games?

What scroll bar?

im going to do an i switch to win8.1

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

What? Why do you care about horrible games?

What scroll bar?

Sometimes I wonder if people...

a) actually use Windows 8 or just read about it on iHateWindows8-and-ChangeScaresMeShitless.com (please note: not sure if this is an actual website, visit at your own risk);

b ) just like to complain about something that is perfectly fine;

c) don't want to accept that 8.1 is an improvement on the, already great Windows 8 OS.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

8.1 is proof Microsoft is back pedaling on their UI BS as the world is not agreeing with their direction, ok except for a few of you. Start Menu is back!

No it's not. The button is back (although it was never REALLY gone) but the start menu isn't. Microsoft are not back pedaling anything, they are just updating their user experience based on user feedback.

I believe, though, that the design with the visible button is better than that of Windows 8 so it's great.

Windows 8.1 is so buggy. I have encountered a lot of problems with it today. Now I'm installing back to windows 8.

Thanks, I read about that solution for SecureBoot and it didn't help me as it is enabled in my bios.

All my drivers are up to date currently and the audio issue has not gone away.

The drivers are up to date for 8.1?

They said they said the button was coming a while ago and the button is needed actually. The menu how ever is not back and probably wont ever be...

It looks like it could be more convienent than windows 8. but i cant update.... :( aperently my computer can support windows 8 but cant update to windows 8.1......

Look in the windows store in the start screen. If its still noth there just search windows 8.1 and on the site microsoft has a link that will force it. Their trying to stagger the update.

You the Start Button is back? It was removed due to complaints.. so they back pedaling on User feedback... they should have not listen to them, if that is what you mean.

It wasnt removed due to complaits, it was removed because their research showed no one used it.

Windows 8.1 is so buggy. I have encountered a lot of problems with it today. Now I'm installing back to windows 8.

Lol care to quote said problems? And eventually youll have to go to 8.1 or I guess 8.2? But you wont cause youll probably have to pay for that...

All my drivers installers are updated. When I'm trying to install my driver for the Qualcomm Atheros, it said that my device is not supported in this (windows 8) version.

All my drivers installers are updated. When I'm trying to install my driver for the Qualcomm Atheros, it said that my device is not supported in this (windows 8) version

How's that "Windows 8.1 is so buggy"? The driver check for Win 8.0, you have 8.1.

As nothing on the wireless side was changed in 8.1, the drivers of 8.0 should work. So, simply by-pass the driver setup OS detection. To do this, right-click on the setup executable, and select Properties. Then go under the Compatibility tab, and select in the drop down box: Windows 8. Click on OK, and run the setup again.

The drivers will install successfully, and your wireless card should work.

They said they said the button was coming a while ago and the button is needed actually. The menu how ever is not back and probably wont ever be...

Look in the windows store in the start screen. If its still noth there just search windows 8.1 and on the site microsoft has a link that will force it. Their trying to stagger the update.

It wasnt removed due to complaits, it was removed because their research showed no one used it.

its not that i cant find it on the store. its just that my computer wont "support" it being the fact that my computer is 7 years old. but it runs windows 8 just fine.

How's that "Windows 8.1 is so buggy"? The driver check for Win 8.0, you have 8.1.

As nothing on the wireless side was changed in 8.1, the drivers of 8.0 should work. So, simply by-pass the driver setup OS detection. To do this, right-click on the setup executable, and select Properties. Then go under the Compatibility tab, and select in the drop down box: Windows 8. Click on OK, and run the setup again.

The drivers will install successfully, and your wireless card should work.

I've done that and I still got the same result. I even tried using the win8 driver for the 8.1 And still the same result. By the way, the exact error I'm getting is "Your hardware is not supported on this Windows version". I guess I'll just wait 203 months first before upgrading to 8.1 (again).

I've done that and I still got the same result. I even tried using the win8 driver for the 8.1 And still the same result. By the way, the exact error I'm getting is "Your hardware is not supported on this Windows version". I guess I'll just wait 203 months first before upgrading to 8.1 (again).

Nha the setup is blocking it. They found a way to by-pass the compatibility mode. Most likely on purpose. On my 5 year old laptop, I am using Win7 driver, it's an Intel wireless card. Works perfectly.

Here is what I would try and do:

1- Run the setup, but leave it open.

2- Find out where the drivers are extracted to (either a folder in C:\ root, or in Temp folder (C:\Users\<Account Name>\AppData\Local\Temp  AppData is a hidden folder), and look through folders to find it. Once you found it, open Device Manager, and double click on your wireless card, a panel will open. Then go on Driver tab, and click on Update Driver, then on Browse my computer..., go to the path of the where the extracted drivers are, and select it. It will force things.... if that doesn't work, than they are desperate for you to buy a new wireless card. In which case you can try and find hacked up drivers that will make it work with 8.1.

This has nothing to do with Windows 8.1. It's not like Microsoft haven't tried with compatibility mode. This is 100% on purpose by the wireless manufacture. For next time, i would strongly suggest, pay the premium (which is like a few dollars more), get something good like a Intel wireless card.. plus they are actually better in performance, and can even be dual channel, for even greater performance if you have a dual channel wireless router. Never pick the cheap one to save a few dollars, you always fall in shitty situation like now.

So far so good. Had on issue with my XBOX controller receiver. I was able to correct it with a MS forum. It was simply reset to off.

As for the start button:

Left click for desktop/start menu (whatever the things environment is called)

Right click brings up:

Programs & Features

Power Options

Event viewer

System

Device Manager

Network Connections

Disk management

Command Prompt

Command Prompt as administrator

-----------------------------------------------

Task Manager

Control Panel

File Explorer

Search

Run

----------------------------------------------

Shut Down or Sign Out

Desktop

One problem that's common to both Windows 7 & 8 is the stupid Xbox controller receiver driver. Windows has the driver, but you need to find the stupid thing. XP would just install it from device manager via internet.

Is windows 8 worth the upgrade?

Well it is free. It also does give more functionality to the OS. It is a pain in the balls to install it though. Took me about one hour or so.

Hope that I have helped understand the Start Button better.

I had been waiting for the final to come out for quite some time, I had some issues with the preview but really liked the updates. Forgot about the release until about 2 hours ago (lol); I just got it installed a little over an hour ago. So far so good, except Razer Synapse 2.0 crashes on boot, I'm sure that will be worked out in coming days. Also Avast seems to have vanished, not sure if I should try reinstall it or not.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Nha the setup is blocking it. They found a way to by-pass the compatibility mode. Most likely on purpose. On my 5 year old laptop, I am using Win7 driver, it's an Intel wireless card. Works perfectly.

Here is what I would try and do:

1- Run the setup, but leave it open.

2- Find out where the drivers are extracted to (either a folder in C:\ root, or in Temp folder (C:\Users\<Account Name>\AppData\Local\Temp  AppData is a hidden folder), and look through folders to find it. Once you found it, open Device Manager, and double click on your wireless card, a panel will open. Then go on Driver tab, and click on Update Driver, then on Browse my computer..., go to the path of the where the extracted drivers are, and select it. It will force things.... if that doesn't work, than they are desperate for you to buy a new wireless card. In which case you can try and find hacked up drivers that will make it work with 8.1.

This has nothing to do with Windows 8.1. It's not like Microsoft haven't tried with compatibility mode. This is 100% on purpose by the wireless manufacture. For next time, i would strongly suggest, pay the premium (which is like a few dollars more), get something good like a Intel wireless card.. plus they are actually better in performance, and can even be dual channel, for even greater performance if you have a dual channel wireless router. Never pick the cheap one to save a few dollars, you always fall in shitty situation like now.

thanks for that bro. But I'm already in Windows 8 and I decided not to upgrade to 8.1 yet. I also have friends having problem when upgrading to 8.1. Also, I did some google and I read some articles that 8.1 is buggy.  Maybe I'll just wait 2-3 months before upgrading again. Thanks for the help anyway :)

I had been waiting for the final to come out for quite some time, I had some issues with the preview but really liked the updates. Forgot about the release until about 2 hours ago (lol); I just got it installed a little over an hour ago. So far so good, except Razer Synapse 2.0 crashes on boot, I'm sure that will be worked out in coming days. Also Avast seems to have vanished, not sure if I should try reinstall it or not.

As mentioned, you are suppose to always uninstall your anti-virus before you do a Service Pack or OS update, as the A/V can block the process.

In this case, Microsoft removed it before hand during the setup. But you could have ended up with a broken OS right now, where you would need to format and re-install everything.

Honestly, I installed 8.1 last night. Its hardly a quantum leap in OS's is it. Its just a MORE annoying winsows 8 version. yet another reason to re-install Linux or windows 7 

Going with the premise that Windows 8 is annoying, how exactly is 8.1 more annoying??  :huh:

My Computer is now called 'This PC' - in case i have ten more PC's, in side my monitor, controlled by my mouse and keyboard. it makes very little sense, that would be fine if not for the fact that it changed it without asking.

Oh so you were the ones that freak out that "My" was removed from "My Documents", "My Music", etc... in Windows Vista?

You are being silly for no reason.

The upgrade killed off my 'StartIsBack' install and replaced it for a windows start button icon that brings up the ever so wonderful metro/Start menu thing. had to re-install 'StartIsBack' - not a deal breaker but as i said ANNOYING. and most annoying because the start menu button is the same icon as one of the default option in 'StartIsBack' so I almost had a panic attack when I clicked it.

You should learn how to use the Start Screen. Beside, as you said you only play games, you can pin all your games directly on the Start Screen, and get quick and instant access to them, and not have to start Steam, then go to library, then look for your games and go "Damn.. it's in UPlay", start uPlay, look inside, "Oh right Origin!", Open Origin, look inside, click on Play, then like Origin, UPlay and Steam, you are asked if you really want to start the game, or you actually want to show up some setting panel? Which you answer "I really want to start the game".

Like so (Windows 8 picture):

dss.png

You should really learn how to use the Start Screen, instead of bashing something you have never touched before. People that do, loves it, even many prefer it over the Windows Start Menu, especially now with Win8.1.

I have icons for SkyDrive in my file manager now, with no information regarding security, data allowances, or a simple option to 'opt out' of this. for people who don't already know what it is there was ZERO explanation available

You are using Windows, not Linux. This kinda of information is not needed (no one cares) and clutter the OS. An issue that Linux based OS have difficulty learning, one of many factors that makes Linux uninvented for the average user. It's too Power User focused, is what I am saying.

To opt-out of SkyDrive, do Win+I to open the Setting Panel directly, and click on Change PC Settings, then go under accounts, and click on Disconnect.

Please note that you may need to uninstall StartIsBack to access this settings, as the problem is known to interfere with Windows 8.x normal user experience operation

When I do open 'This PC' I have 'FOLDERS' showing, filling half the content area. Again, no obvious OFF button. also, my 'library'  folders have been rearranged making me have to stop my work flow earlier today to find my default 'pictures I'm working on' folder that has been available at the same 'libraries' access point for the last year!

Oh noes, shortcuts! No one likes them. Anyway, you can collapse "Folder" group, if it bugs you.

To show and hide libraries, right-click on the navigation pane of a folder, and select "Show Library"

Then earlier today I wanted to play some games, loaded Steam Big Picture... oh look my pad doesn't work! why? because the upgrade uninstalled my wireless receiver.

If the manufacture doesn't say to Microsoft that their device is 8.1 compatible, or known to 'cause issue with the update process.

The device or software is uninstalled. This is nothing new in the Upgrade process of Windows, also happens on Service Pack upgrades.

ALL of the things I have listed are annoying. not because they are bad decisions on behalf of microsoft but because there was no guidance or information, or even a little video telling me what I got feature wise with the upgrade. Also the SkyDrive feature is shoehorned in in a way that i find a little overly forceful. again microsoft is moving in a direction i do not enjoy.

You have a full tutorial of Windows 8.1 on the Start Screen, and 8.1 has been well blogged about by Microsoft, and you have a hole "discover Windows' section on Microsoft website.. if you choose to ignore all of this, then what can I say. Maybe they should force you to watch a documentation video when you install it, and ask you quiz question at the end, get a failing grade, and all your data and OS is formatted, and BIOS wiped cleaned, making your system a brick, forcing you to pay attention. Joking asides, this is what you want: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/features#personalize=startscreen

It would be nice to have more options on SkyDrive, yes. I agree with you on that.

I hope i have better explained my point of view regarding windows 8.1. Please, don't post telling me how these features are not annoying and its my stubborn usage flow that is the problem because as i have said its not technical issues. ALL of the things that annnoyed me are things that effected my Work Flow. yes, flow is VERY important to me as a user.

k :)

As mentioned, you are suppose to always uninstall your anti-virus before you do a Service Pack or OS update, as the A/V can block the process.

In this case, Microsoft removed it before hand during the setup. But you could have ended up with a broken OS right now, where you would need to format and re-install everything.

I deactivated it, so it shouldn't have been a problem, but thanks for the heads up.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)