What Do You Think About Windows 8.1?

Hey guys, as most of you know Windows 8.1 was released today and you can download it for free (provided you already have Windows 8) from the app store. What are your thoughts on this? Is it better than Windows 8? Do you like it at all? Is Windows 8.1 in just as bad as Windows 8? Who's still sticking with ol' faithful Windows 7?

I've found that Windows 8.1 is surprisingly buggy. I also think that the whole metro app environment is not well integrated with the regular desktop environment, and that the metro user interface is hard to navigate. I am still left with a desire for a more consistent experience so that I don't feel like there are two different user interfaces.

Gear: Logitech G9X | Steelseries Sensei | Logitech Z623 | Das Keyboard Professional MX Blue | 2X ASUS VH242 23.6" | Samsung Galaxy S4 | Sager NP8230

Main PC: Windows 8.1 | NZXT Tempest EVO | FX 6200 @ Stock | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 12 GB Assorted 1333 MHz | Zalman CNPS9500 | MSI 6850 Hawk @ Stock | Rosewill 600W

Home Server: Windows Server 2012 Datacenter | CM HAF-X | Phenom II 925 @ Stock | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 | 8 GB G.SKILL 1866 MHz | Noctua NH-U12P | MSI 7970 TF Boost @ 1200 MHz | Corsair AX 850

I've heard that a lot of people are having problems with 8.1 so I think I'm just going to stick with window 7 on my desktop and windows 8 with the windows 7 start button on my laptop.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I'll stay with my 7

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

LINUX!!!!!

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Don't scare me like that. :( I'm still downloading the 8.1 upgrade...

Just as good as 8, just wish I could remove the useless start button.

It's good to have more options with the start page or what ever its called.

And unfortunately the App I'm making for fun just crashes on my desktop, but works fine on my surface pro =\

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

Currently running winsat on my 2nd hand win8 laptop that I just re-formated to win7. Finding drivers was a pita... so was win8

If you are stubborn and hate windows 8, you will not like it because it's core is still the same.

If you have upgraded to Windows 8, 8.1 is a nice update with many small changes that improve the overall experience. If you have windows 8, there is no reason not to update to 8.1.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

It kill Rainmeter for me.  <_<

Other than that, seems and feels the same as 8, except now there are very shiny colors on the start menu. :P

-edit-

Fixed rainmeter.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

ok now that the people that never looked at a screen shot of Windows 8 commented... here is my first impression:

-> WOW!

-> Installed in a breeze, and everything worked perfectly, even some of my old applications.

-> The Modern UI apps are drastically (night and day) better than before, and filled with features.

-> So far everything is fast, stable, as ever before.

-> SkyDrive integration is awesome

-> Unified search is great, however I wish that the if you select a search result, it closes afterwards the search result, now it acts like an app. No show stopper.

I've heard that a lot of people are having problems with 8.1 so I think I'm just going to stick with window 7 on my desktop and windows 8 with the windows 7 start button on my laptop.

Yes I also heard the same thing with Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000, and so on, and all Service Packs. The same as any Windows updates.

"lots of people having problems" means nothing. If they had a virus any point with their previous install, then it's expected to have a broken experience. Why? While an anti-virus will remove an installed virus, any system file changed or corrupted, or deleted... well the anti-virus cant' do anything about it. Re-install Windows. The point an an A/V is stop an infection, and try and prevent you running a virus, essentially installing it.

You are always going to find people with hardware problem. Not to mention all those that tweak their OS, with programs that changes OS files.

Oh and let's not forget, the "forgetting to uninstall my security software, which probably blocked some files form being updated".

They are many factors onto why the update process failed.

So far, it enrages me. I've never had so many issues with a new version of any OS before.

What are you facing?

What are you facing?

Started off with this "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" watermark in the bottom right of my screen, have yet to fix that. I was also having random reboots earlier and screen flickers which was fixed with a few driver updates.

Once things were running stable again then I noticed that my audio is messed up, any kind of talking gets muffled like crazy but everything else sounds fine, so I update my driver for my audio and upon rebooting for that my computer just wouldn't even post, let alone boot. Once I finally got my system to post and boot again I noticed the new driver didn't fix the issue.

So now I am sitting here debating just doing a fresh install and see if that does the trick. I've never had issues in the past updating an OS beyond software incompatibility, so this has been strange for me. 

Started off with this "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" watermark in the bottom right of my screen, have yet to fix that. I was also having random reboots earlier and screen flickers which was fixed with a few driver updates.

Once things were running stable again then I noticed that my audio is messed up, any kind of talking gets muffled like crazy but everything else sounds fine, so I update my driver for my audio and upon rebooting for that my computer just wouldn't even post, let alone boot. Once I finally got my system to post and boot again I noticed the new driver didn't fix the issue.

So now I am sitting here debating just doing a fresh install and see if that does the trick. I've never had issues in the past updating an OS beyond software incompatibility, so this has been strange for me. 

If your computer was not even posting.. that is not because of windows. 

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Two things I've noticed so far that make me like it a LOT.

The ability to have your desktop background be your background on the start screen make it feel like one OS instead of two.

If you go into a full screen modern ui app from the desktop mode and then close the app, it goes back to desktop mode instead of the start screen.

So far those two things make the free update totally worth it since I was using windows 8 already.

For Secure Boot, you need to enable it in the UEFI (BIOS) setup of your system.

As for sound:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Defrag-Tools/Defrag-Tools-59-Larry-Osterman#time=11m53s

If your computer was not even posting.. that is not because of windows. 

It was an odd thing, every part of my system works fine, I hadn't changed the bios or anything like that. The problem seemed to be bios related though as flipping the switch to the backup bios got it to post again.

For Secure Boot, you need to enable it in the UEFI (BIOS) setup of your system.

As for sound:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Defrag-Tools/Defrag-Tools-59-Larry-Osterman#time=11m53s

Thanks, I read about that solution for SecureBoot and it didn't help me as it is enabled in my bios.

All my drivers are up to date currently and the audio issue has not gone away.

I'm liking this so far. 

The big feature for me is showing the desktop after signing in.  I know it may sound like a lazy thing not wanting to see the Start Screen for like a second or so but this feels natural to me. This is the Windows I've known and loved.  Besides, I spend a lot of time on the desktop anyway.

Start button is a nice addition but it feels like Microsoft just put it there to troll us as it's not the "classic" start button we've known.

I like how you can finally have your desktop background on the start menu.  It makes the transition from desktop to Start Screen and back seem more seemless and that you're not fighting with two separate systems, so to speak.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

8.1 is proof Microsoft is back pedaling on their UI BS as the world is not agreeing with their direction, ok except for a few of you. Start Menu is back!

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

It looks like it could be more convienent than windows 8. but i cant update.... :(  aperently my computer can support windows 8 but cant update to windows 8.1......