iswitched from windows 7 to windows 8.1

legopc

hello people

because I hate the fact that windows 8 doesn't (HOLY CRAP WIN8.1 PLACED A COMMA FOR ME)have a start button and some people said that I was just being ignorant (they are right) but I thought I would give the new metro ui a try and I have finaly downloaded win evaluation iso and installed it so lets get right to it

update 1

the installation:

the installation was surprisingly easy I emulated the iso in clone drive and selected update and It just it started installing and when it rebooted it asked me for my win live id(or what ever its called) and it asked me if I wanted to install updates and send errors to Microsoft and bla bla so I clicked next and now Im here :D so now I need to install drivers and stuff

post-7712-0-39704900-1382107351_thumb.pn

post-7712-0-17628000-1382107746_thumb.pn

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

What screen res is that? 800x600?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

neh just need to install drivers and stuff

-Adolf Hitler 

just installed my vid driver and trying to get my wallpaper working but it isn't working like it was in win7

post-7712-0-58896800-1382109839_thumb.jp

-Adolf Hitler 

just installed my vid driver and trying to get my wallpaper working but it isn't working like it was in win7

Check which setting you have it on there are a good amount more in win 8 you can even have different ones on different screeens if you want.

Check which setting you have it on there are a good amount more in win 8 you can even have different ones on different screeens if you want.

realy how??? 

-Adolf Hitler 

realy how??? 

update 2 

well windows 8.1 has been working fine-ish for me and i actualy like it a lot and i am REALY trying to use the start menu but it just has (almost) no use to me i mean almost everything i use is on my desktop and one thing that is realy anyoing i cant place links and docs on there :L so my desktop doesnt get so messy and im still having trouble finding the off button if i want to turn it off i will just press the button on my pc butt for the rest im actualy cindda happy with windows 8.1 oh and i have heard here and there that fps gets better in win8/8.1 well... not for me 

-Adolf Hitler 

realy how???

Right click desktop>personalize>desktop background

update 2 

well windows 8.1 has been working fine-ish for me and i actualy like it a lot and i am REALY trying to use the start menu but it just has (almost) no use to me i mean almost everything i use is on my desktop and one thing that is realy anyoing i cant place links and docs on there :L so my desktop doesnt get so messy and im still having trouble finding the off button if i want to turn it off i will just press the button on my pc butt for the rest im actualy cindda happy with windows 8.1 oh and i have heard here and there that fps gets better in win8/8.1 well... not for me

What do you mean really trying to use the start screen? The only thing I use it for is launching seldom used programs. The ones I use all the time are either pinned to the taskbar or on the desktop. The ones I use semi often are pinned to the start screen and the rest I just search for.

To make shorcuts right click deskstop>create shortcut. If you want access to go to a folder the easiest way is Win+E. you can also right click the folder icon pinned to the taskbar and click File Explorer.

To get to anything to change setting and do admin stuff its Win+X or in 8.1 you can right click the start button. In here is also the shutdown stuff. Previously in 8 the easier way at least for me was Win+D (go to desktop) the Alt+F4 (bring up shutdown prompt).

If there is anything else your having problems with please ask away.

Glad you're giving it a go, I know so many people that I like I hate it, and I haven't even tried it yet I'm like D: How do you know you don't like it if you're never bloody used it xD anyways yeah.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Right click desktop>personalize>desktop background

What do you mean really trying to use the start screen? The only thing I use it for is launching seldom used programs. The ones I use all the time are either pinned to the taskbar or on the desktop. The ones I use semi often are pinned to the start screen and the rest I just search for.

To make shorcuts right click deskstop>create shortcut. If you want access to go to a folder the easiest way is Win+E. you can also right click the folder icon pinned to the taskbar and click File Explorer.

To get to anything to change setting and do admin stuff its Win+X or in 8.1 you can right click the start button. In here is also the shutdown stuff. Previously in 8 the easier way at least for me was Win+D (go to desktop) the Alt+F4 (bring up shutdown prompt).

If there is anything else your having problems with please ask away.

@legopc

In addition, you can make a shortcut for websites, in Chrome while on the site you want to save click the options button (top right corner), select "tools" , "create application shortcuts...", make sure you have "Start" selected or like in my case when start screen is not an option select "Desktop", right click the desktop shortcut & select "Pin to Start". I know there's a similar way to do this through IE, not sure about Firefox...

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

In addition, you can make a shortcut for websites, in Chrome while on the site you want to save click the options button (top right corner), select "tools" , "create application shortcuts...", make sure you have "Start" selected or like in my case when start screen is not an option select "Desktop", right click the desktop shortcut & select "Pin to Start". I know there's a similar way to do this through IE, not sure about Firefox...

To pin to start screen? Just click the down arrow in the lower left in teh start screen which will take you to all apps, then just right click them and pin to start. This is the same as win8 except to get to all programs you had to right click the start screen and go to all applications. Just a heads up windows automatically adds all new programs to the start screen so dont forget to trim those down to what you need.

To pin to start screen? Just click the down arrow in the lower left in teh start screen which will take you to all apps, then just right click them and pin to start. This is the same as win8 except to get to all programs you had to right click the start screen and go to all applications. Just a heads up windows automatically adds all new programs to the start screen so dont forget to trim those down to what you need.

I'm speaking of creating start screen shortcuts for webpages, guess I should have quoted legopc

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

I'm speaking of creating start screen shortcuts for webpages, guess I should have quoted legopc

Ahh may I ask why you would want to do that though?

Ahh may I ask why you would want to do that though?

Just another way to bookmark links, I guess...

Just another way to bookmark links, I guess...

Just ask because I would just bookmark stuff in the browser I use.

update 3? or 4 dont know :P 

i have FINALY found the power thingy on win8 and i dont like it i just dont like it i mean with win7 you could go to start and click on shutdown but now i have to move my mouse to the top right wait a little bit press settings and go to power and press shut down and i dont like it :L so i was wandering is there anyway around that like make a shortcut for shutdown.exe or something?? 

-Adolf Hitler 

update 3? or 4 dont know :P

i have FINALY found the power thingy on win8 and i dont like it i just dont like it i mean with win7 you could go to start and click on shutdown but now i have to move my mouse to the top right wait a little bit press settings and go to power and press shut down and i dont like it :L so i was wandering is there anyway around that like make a shortcut for shutdown.exe or something??

I do believe ive explained this already in 8.1 just right click the start button and its right there...

I do believe ive explained this already in 8.1 just right click the start button and its right there...

oh nevermind got it :P thanks 

-Adolf Hitler 

oh nevermind got it :P thanks

What you found was the method in win8 unless you did what I did which was Win+D then Alt+F4.