CPU PSU connection question

Daveeede

I am building a rig for a friend. It includes:

i7-6800k

Asus X99-M WS Motherboard

EVGA 650 G2 Power Supply.

The motherboard has two 8-pin CPU power connectors. Now what I understand is that you only need the second one if you are doing heavy overclocking, but this is unclear in the user's manual. My friend will most likely run at stock speeds AFAIK. 

The PSU has one CPU cable with a 4+4 pin connector at the end. But in the box I found what appears to be an 8-pin to 2x8-pin adapter labelled CPU. It is not mentioned in the user's manual, and is inconsistent with what I've read online. What I read online (in a JohnnyGURU review) is that the CPU cable originally had a break-out with one end being an 8-pin connector and the other end being a 4+4 pin connector.

Is it possible Evga changed their cables for that model? 

Should I ignore the adapter and just use the 4+4 pin connector and call it a day?

Wondering what you guys would do here.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

you're fine using a single 4+4 connector. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch