Sometimes I get MAD visual FPS drops, but my in game FPS meter and Shadowplay itself say well over 40fps+ during these times.

Joe Brainer

In every game I play. It's as if the FPS meter isn't working, but both FPS meters read the same numbers. 

Maybe its because of your display?

I5 4440//8gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3//Sapphire Radeon r9 380 4gb//ASUS h81m-plus//WD caviar blue 1tb//Cooler Master N200//Cooler Master G500

Most likely you are getting high frametimes, which is likely caused by the CPU being too weak for the task at hand or because you are using a bad vsync method.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

I've never had this issue before. Why could it be because of my monitor now of all times? 

Just now, Nord said:

Most likely you are getting high frametimes, which is likely caused by the CPU being too weak for the task at hand or because you are using a bad vsync method.

How can I tell if it's my CPU? 

msi afterburner.

Enable frametime (if its not enabled by default allready, not sure) and just check the graphs when playing ,or setup an OSD overlay, or create a log file...

For 40FPS I'd say 20-25ms frametime should be normal.

60FPS with vsync would be 16-17ms frametime

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

You can also go into settings in MSI Afterburner then to Monitoring tab and there you can find Frametime and FPS, enable each of them separately and also don't forget to check the box that says enable as overlay.

You will see these numbers in real time in left upper corner in the game then.

Framerate and Frametime don't show a cloudy black outlined checkmark like the rest. Won't let me do anything except log history to file, adjust graph columns, and adjust Hardware polling period.