Starting build tomorrow, need some questions answered:

Armakar

Okay i'll try to stop posting about my buy ld every 5 min, so here's some questions I really need answered before I start my build tomorrow. Incase you don't realise from the belo questions, i'm paranoid about frying something.

1 - How do I handle the motherboard + CPU without frying them? 

2 - What do I clip an anti-static wristband to? Clipping it to the case seems counterproductive, because i'll be transferring my static to the thing i'm putting my components in..

3 -  How do I make a test bench?  I may want to check if I have fried my mob already by handling it. Correct me if I'm wrong , but I put the motherboard ontop of it's box, plug the PSU in, hook up the CPU 8 pin and the (12 pin? i forget ) motherboard power, shove 8GB ram in and.. press the button on the motherboard? Did I miss anything? Should it boot if I do all those things?

4 - I'm building on a dark wood desk on marble floor. Is that okay for anti-static workspace?

5 - Again , what are the biggest steps I can take to avoid frying anything?

6 - Is it a good idea if I install just the bare minimum when doing my build so I can test if it works ? IE, I wouldn't install 1 stick of ram, the HDD would remain uninstalled as would the GPU.

7 - Where should I mount my AIO ? I have a corsair h100i V2 and a NZXT H440. I read the manual and it said that I should be mounting the AIO in the front for intake, but it seems like that just wastes my front fans. I feel like the top is a better option.

8 - Push pull for AIO?

9 - Will I fry my build?

10 - Does anyone have faith in me to not fry my build? I don't.]

Thanks anyone who answers any questions, and apologies for posting so much about this.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

You CAN'T FRY a build, there's no way to FRY a build while building it

Only to kill it from static and static is easily solved from a anti-static mat, wrist band

You connect the end of the wrist band into the PSU (fan grill) and make sure the PSU is plugged into the wall BUT not turned on

Calm down. It is very hard to fry a computer board these days. I have built all my computers on carpet without a anti static strap and without testing the parts before putting them into the case. All builds are working fine. You will be fine I promise. 

1-5. There's no need to get all panicky about static discharge, unless you are actually in an environment where static build-up happens - that is, if you regularly get static discharges. If that's the case, do it somewhere else where static isn't a problem.

While you are handling the motherboard to install the CPU, RAM etc, (outside the case), lay the motherboard on the anti-static bag it came in. Occasionally touch the computer case or a water tap, or some other metal object to discharge yourself. If you don't get any discharge when touching a grounded object, then static isn't really a problem. :)

If you are really worried about it, mount the power supply into the case and connect the AC cable. This will ground the case (whether the power supply's switch is ON or OFF) and you can connect your wrist band to the case. Or, some wrist band come with a plug that fits into the ground connector on an AC outlet (the 3rd, round hole.)

6. The best idea is to install the CPU and RAM, then install the motherboard into the case. Connect the power supply to the motherboard. Connect a monitor to the on-board video (if possible) and then start up the system by connecting the front panel power switch or just shorting the pins.

Check that the system "POSTS" - starts up and shows a display on the monitor.

If that succeeds, then install the rest of the components.

7. I'd suggest mounting it at the top, blowing out.

8. Only if you really, really need the extra airflow - which isn't likely.

9. No

10. I do. ;)

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

Actually, LTT already got you covered if you watch their videos. Just look at how Linus & Luke handle the board & processor. But, nah, here's a guide from JayzTwoCents :|
and then read this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/538658/how-to-use-and-not-use-an-antic-static-wristband/

1. Already answered by the video above, and tons of other video... Just, hold, it, nicely and calmly.
2. Plug your psu to your home electrical socket, and then clip your anti static band to the PSU's fan grill. In this way, your body are well grounded via the PSU. If you need to power on the PSU to do some testing, don't forget to release the clip.

• Another tips: you can leave the antistatic band since the beginning, just keep your psu plugged (turned off), and then touch the PSU from time to time to ground your body via your PSU.

3. You can use the motherboard box, and then put the antistatic plastic that covers your motherboard on top of the box, and then place your motherboard on top of them. And then shove the component, and it will boot.
4. Yes.
5. Refer to keNNySOC and Adalhelm

29 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Only to kill it from static and static is easily solved from a anti-static mat, wrist band

You connect the end of the wrist band into the PSU (fan grill) and make sure the PSU is plugged into the wall BUT not turned on

27 minutes ago, Adalhelm said:

Calm down. It is very hard to fry a computer board these days. I have built all my computers on carpet without a anti static strap and without testing the parts before putting them into the case. All builds are working fine. You will be fine I promise. 

6. Yes.
7. Mounting AIO in the front would waste your front fans? I'm sorry, but how the heck would it waste your front fan?
AIO radiator still need fans wherever you mount them anyway. And it wouldn't matter wherever you mount the AIO, you would still get an intake airflow, and exhaust airflow as long as you mind the fan's airflow orientation. Even a thick radiator wouldn't "waste" your front fans.
8. If you have just enough fan, pick one orientation. The additional cooling performances from push & pull are negligible (Linus already confirm this). Unless, you want to showcase your PC, then you're free to do push & pull.

9. No.
10. Yes. Actually you're overthinking too much.

41 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Only to kill it from static and static is easily solved from a anti-static mat, wrist rest

I managed to do that, that's why i'm so paranoid. So yes, you can fry a build when building it.

Main Rig

Just now, Armakar said:

I managed to do that, that's why i'm so paranoid. So yes, you can fry a build when building it.

What do you define as "Fry"?

5 minutes ago, frunze said:

You can use the motherboard box, and then put the antistatic plastic that covers your motherboard on top of the box, and then place your motherboard on top of them. And then shove the component, and it will boot.

7. Mounting AIO in the front would waste your front fans? I'm sorry, but how the heck would it waste your front fan?
AIO radiator still need fans wherever you mount them anyway. And it wouldn't matter wherever you mount the AIO, you would still get an intake airflow, and exhaust airflow as long as you mind the fan's airflow orientation. Even a thick radiator wouldn't "waste" your front fans.

So, just to check, I only need to plug in the mobo supply, the 8pin for the CPU, a stick of RAM and the CPU? No CPU cooler, hard drive or anything is needed afaik for a test bench? It's a modular powersupply so nothing will fuck up if I only plug those 2 cables in?

Main Rig

10 minutes ago, Quaker said:

While you are handling the motherboard to install the CPU, RAM etc, (outside the case), lay the motherboard on the anti-static bag it came in. Occasionally touch the computer case or a water tap, or some other metal object to discharge yourself. If you don't get any discharge when touching a grounded object, then static isn't really a problem. :)

Like I asked the guy below - just to check, only RAM, CPU and motherboard need to be installed, ontop of the mobo box, and only a total of 3 cables plugged in? ( 8 pin, mobo powersupply, and psu to wall ? ) it's a modular PSU, RM550X

Main Rig

7 minutes ago, Armakar said:

So, just to check, I only need to plug in the mobo supply, the 8pin for the CPU, a stick of RAM and the CPU? No CPU cooler, hard drive or anything is needed afaik for a test bench? It's a modular powersupply so nothing will fuck up if I only plug those 2 cables in?

Preferably, plug in the CPU cooler too. Many board sometimes doesn't even want to boot when they detect that no cpu fan plugged in to avoid overheat mishaps. If your mobo doesn't support an integrated gpu-equipped processor (eg. X99 board) then you need to plug in the GPU as well (and then don't forget to plug the PCIE power cable).
And if the GPU isn't needed (to be tested), then yes, it's only those cables attached. And no, your PSU wouldn't be fucked up
And for HDD, it isn't needed. As long as the core component detected in the BIOS, you're ready to go.

2 minutes ago, frunze said:

3. You can use the motherboard box, and then put the anti static plastic that covers your motherboard on top of the box, and then place your motherboard on top of them. 

He will be in trouble if he do that, your answer isn't complete.

The bag is conductive on the outside and non conductive from inside.It depends on the orientation.

The best thing is to put your motherboard on top of your motherboard cardboard box. 

5 minutes ago, amit523dutta said:

He will be in trouble if he do that, your answer isn't complete.

The bag is conductive on the outside and non conductive from inside.It depends on the orientation.

The best thing is to put your motherboard on top of your motherboard cardboard box. 

At this point, I didn' want to start a debate, but hey, Reddit already on fire with this since long time, but that's antistatic bag, whether it is on the outside, or the inside.
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/29plsd/psa_putting_your_motherboard_on_an_antistatic_bag

To be fair, if OP doesn't even confident about the conductivity of the bag because of our comment, he can even just use the wooden table (as in point 6) xD xD xD

3 hours ago, Armakar said:

Okay i'll try to stop posting about my buy ld every 5 min, so here's some questions I really need answered before I start my build tomorrow. Incase you don't realise from the belo questions, i'm paranoid about frying something.

1 - How do I handle the motherboard + CPU without frying them? 

2 - What do I clip an anti-static wristband to? Clipping it to the case seems counterproductive, because i'll be transferring my static to the thing i'm putting my components in..

3 -  How do I make a test bench?  I may want to check if I have fried my mob already by handling it. Correct me if I'm wrong , but I put the motherboard ontop of it's box, plug the PSU in, hook up the CPU 8 pin and the (12 pin? i forget ) motherboard power, shove 8GB ram in and.. press the button on the motherboard? Did I miss anything? Should it boot if I do all those things?

4 - I'm building on a dark wood desk on marble floor. Is that okay for anti-static workspace?

5 - Again , what are the biggest steps I can take to avoid frying anything?

6 - Is it a good idea if I install just the bare minimum when doing my build so I can test if it works ? IE, I wouldn't install 1 stick of ram, the HDD would remain uninstalled as would the GPU.

7 - Where should I mount my AIO ? I have a corsair h100i V2 and a NZXT H440. I read the manual and it said that I should be mounting the AIO in the front for intake, but it seems like that just wastes my front fans. I feel like the top is a better option.

8 - Push pull for AIO?

9 - Will I fry my build?

10 - Does anyone have faith in me to not fry my build? I don't.]

Thanks anyone who answers any questions, and apologies for posting so much about this.

1 As long as you hold the board/cpu by the edges you will be fine. Even then touching a few of the components probably won't kill anything. Just don't go getting fingerprints on the underside or top of the cpu.

2 Real men don't use anti static wristbands xD Seriously though the very first time I ever built a pc I used a wriststrap and it just got in the way. I have never used one since and have had zero problems.

3 You can build outside the pc if you want. Again I don't usually bother with that and just build inside the case. If it doesn't work then I figure it out after.

4 Yes

5 Just handle things carefully. Don't go touching any of the gold fingers on the ram/gpu.

6 You can do if you want. I personally don't bother xD

7 I would put it at the top and have the front fans for intake

8 Nah not worth the extra dust for 1deg C.

9 No Comment xD Seriously you will be fine. Just take your time and only have the parts on the table that you are about to fit. You don't want to get overwhelmed with boxes.

+1 on @lee32uk answers.

I would just add that the first thing I usually do is mount the psu in the chassis and plug it into the wall. Periodically, especially before touching very sensitive components like the cpu I touch the psu or metal of the chassis. This "grounds" me.

Oh, and do not force anything. Be gentle. Other than inserting a PCIe card, very little pressure is needed in assembling other parts. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.