Are NVMe SSD's ever gonna be "worth it?"

ChickenCake248

From what I can tell, M.2 NVMe drives seem to be thought of as too expensive and that they don't provide much of a noticeable difference in everyday use and gaming when compared to the SATA III SSD'S. But we all know how the tech train goes. For example, only a year ago (or so) people kept saying that 4gb of VRAM is enough for all 1080p. But now we have data that suggests otherwise (like in the RX 480). When do you think that M.2 NVMe drives will be thought of as a worthwhile upgrade, if at all?

My guess is pretty soon, we won't have sata(probaby within 10 years), just like how pci has been taken out from the chipset.

All storage will be done over pcie, so if you want a hdd, get a sas/sata controller.

There to expensive and not usefull/being utilized atm.

Just like VR and quantum computing it needs to mature a bit more to be useful.

Also nothing uses it atm just like 100 Pata drives were good back in the day and ssd now you need to wait a bit and also you may be an "early adopter" but I doens't make sense unless you have 60K laying around ofc :P 

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

eventually yes, when that is i don't know exactly. but as programs keep getting bigger and complexer nvme will become worth it. it might already be worth it for some people, copying gigantic databases on a daily basis would be so much easier with nvme.

There has always been this side of the storage industry, from the 15k RPM hard drives to the NVMe drives we have drives that show benefits mostly to those with very high storage IO needs. The average desktop has never needed to be on the cutting edge, it produces minimal performance benefits to the average workloads of install and running of desktop software nor the basic needs of relatively low IO of creation activities. Programmers might see some benefit if their compiler can keep up (most can't).