Strange Computer Issue

bgibbz

Over the past 6 months, I have encountered the single strangest PC problem I have ever encountered, and I am completely out of ideas. To give you a bit of history, I build my PC back in December (Specs are in my signature). The machine worked perfectly fine until about April. In the middle of April, I took my entire setup to my school for a 24 hour programming competition. About 6 hours in, my team and I went off to eat and I put the computer to sleep. When I came back, I woke up the machine and strangely enough, the mouse was acting up. Essentially, it was stuttering across the screen, like skipping forwards by about .25 inch segments. It heavily lagged behind what my actual mouse movements were too. For example, if I were to move my mouse a little bit to the right, the mouse would stutter along for about 5-10 seconds until it got to the correct spot. It was impossible to click anything. This entire time, every time I clicked or moved the mouse a mono tone beep would happen in my headset. Strangely enough however, my keyboard worked fine without any delay. I was able to ctrl-alt-delete and navigate to the task manager, but nothing was hogging up any of my system resources.thankfully, I was able save all of my files using keyboard hotkeys. After that, I used the windows key to navigate to restart, and tried to restart. After watching the restart wheel spin for about 2-3 min, I hit the reset button on my PC. The PC didn't immediately restart, but instead required me to unplug it and plug it back in. I looked through error logs, and don't find anything out of the ordinary. I decided to ignore it and move on. About 2 weeks later, the exact same issue happened. Again, I skimmed through error logs but didn't find anything wrong. I even tried changing the mouse while this was happening, as well as changing the USB port. nothing seemed to fix it. I decided to run through a whole battery of tests, including aida 64, memtest, gpu stress testers, hard drive checkers. I ran all kinds of basic command line checks, like sfc scan now, I reinstalled all usb, motherboard, and mouse drivers. A week later the same issue occurred. From this point, It began becoming more and more frequent. It became a daily thing. Reproducing however, was extremely difficult. I made no changes to the system when I brough it to the LAN where the issue first happened, and I made no changes afterwards. The issue seemed to happen whenever the PC woke from sleep, but it happened other times as well. I extensively researched online, and I found several people who were just as confused as I was. On several forums, there were users who had been extensively communicating and testing fixes for this problem for months. Many users reported that some solutions fixed it for them, everything from updating drivers, to bad ram, to even bad HDMI cables. I tested everything, and the issue still didn't go away. finally, I gave up. about a week later, the issue suddenly disappeared. This was all back in june. suddenly, its back again. Since the last time, I have changed hard drives so I have done a total reinstall of window. Any idea what could be causing this issue? It is very annoying.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Have you tried changing your mouse?

TL;DR for anyone who cbb to read this:

OP is having issues with his/her mouse, behaves erratically on random occasions stuttering across screen etc.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

forgot to menition, I have switched mice since june

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

3 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

Have you tried changing your mouse?

changed my mouse

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

forgot to menition, I have switched mice since june

Try another mouse. If you've reinstalled windows and changed your mouse, then I'm not too sure what next. Is your mouse a USB mouse or PS/2/IBM mouse?

ps2.jpg

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Just now, burnttoastnice said:

Try another mouse. If you've reinstalled windows and changed your mouse, then I'm not too sure what next. Is your mouse a USB mouse or PS/2/IBM mouse?

currently I am using a usb mouse. back in june I tested it with a ps2 mouse and it still didn't work.

Just now, bgibbz said:

currently I am using a usb mouse. back in june I tested it with a ps2 mouse and it still didn't work.

I'm thinking it could be a BIOS issue. An issue with an usb mouse shouldn't be caused by the motherboard really. See if you can find a way to reproduce the issue, and then see if it happens when running Linux. If it happens while running linux then it's probably a hardware problem on the motherboard.

Also, the last time this happened, did you unplug and reconnect the mouse? That beep noise you're talking about comes from my computer whenever I press down too many keys on the keyboard at once.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

15 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

About 6 hours in, my team and I went off to eat and I put the computer to sleep. When I came back, I woke up the machine and strangely enough, the mouse was acting up. 

Possible sabotage (virus)? I mean it was a programming competition.  If it were me I would have probably reset Windows by now or done a clean install. You mentioned running all kinds of stress tests but what about malware/virus scans?

bad overclock? did you try a quick cmos reset?

what power supply do you have?

did you try disconnecting all but them main HD (SSD)?

did you run with 1 stick of ram? and then move thatb stick from slot to slot?

did you think about "rebuilding from scratch and reformatting the machine?

I read where you went to lunch and left the machine alone. Was it connected to a network? and who had access to that network and who, may have been near the machine while you were away from it? ( reformat ).

2 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Possible sabotage (virus)? I mean it was a programming competition.  If it were me I would have probably reset Windows by now or done a clean install. You mentioned running all kinds of stress tests but what about malware/virus scans?

as I mentioned, I did a full clean install of windows. I say competition lightly, really the entire thing is for fun, no prize money or anything like that. Just a highschool activity thing.

10 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

I'm thinking it could be a BIOS issue. An issue with an usb mouse shouldn't be caused by the motherboard really. See if you can find a way to reproduce the issue, and then see if it happens when running Linux. If it happens while running linux then it's probably a hardware problem on the motherboard.

Also, the last time this happened, did you unplug and reconnect the mouse? That beep noise you're talking about comes from my computer whenever I press down too many keys on the keyboard at once.

I did unplug and reconnect mouse, didn't fix anything. I have the bioses updated. I haven't noticed the issue in Linux, but I'm hardly on Linux.

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

I did unplug and reconnect mouse, didn't fix anything. I have the bioses updated. I haven't noticed the issue in Linux, but I'm hardly on Linux.

I'm completely baffled then. I think it's a driver issue, but there's not much else I can think of to fix that mouse problem

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Have you used the old mouse at all on the system since the new installation of Windows?

5 minutes ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

Have you used the old mouse at all on the system since the new installation of Windows?

nope.

36 minutes ago, LabRat said:

bad overclock? did you try a quick cmos reset?

what power supply do you have?

did you try disconnecting all but them main HD (SSD)?

did you run with 1 stick of ram? and then move thatb stick from slot to slot?

did you think about "rebuilding from scratch and reformatting the machine?

I read where you went to lunch and left the machine alone. Was it connected to a network? and who had access to that network and who, may have been near the machine while you were away from it? ( reformat ).

Ive played around with the ram, I'm using a evga supernova g2 750w, I reset overclocks, cleared cmos, ive reseated the GPU and ram. Nobody was really near the machine but my friends. when I left they were both working next to my computer. The network was a school network, but It is highly restrictive.

This might be a terrible question but, does this occur with multiple different monitors? Or have you been using the same monitor the entire time?

4 minutes ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

This might be a terrible question but, does this occur with multiple different monitors? Or have you been using the same monitor the entire time?

I have in fact changed the monitor. Originaly, I had an asus VS278Q ( I think that's the model) and an hp v222, I replaced the asus monitor with a benq xl2720z recently ( like 1 week ago)

I just found some events in the event log that I will post in a min

Does this occur even when only displaying your computer on one monitor? Have you changed drivers within that time period?

40 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

I'm completely baffled then. I think it's a driver issue, but there's not much else I can think of to fix that mouse problem

just checked event viewer again, and I noticed some errors.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98ibR6wy1jEZ1I3MTZRa09kNDQ

4 minutes ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

Does this occur even when only displaying your computer on one monitor?

haven't tried 1 monitor yet. Il try it out

no view available. it says download............ I'm not going to download it.

I would still disconnect all but the main drive and reformat.

not sure how to make it viewable on here. Download is safe, but obviously don't take my word on that. my storage setup is a 2x500gb ssd raid 0 array, and a 2tb hdd. You want me to reformat the hdd?

i'm suggesting you reformat the drive the operating system is on ( reinstall the operating system.

and you can try a different cpu....... maybe the reformat won't be necessary.

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

i'm suggesting you reformat the drive the operating system is on ( reinstall the operating system.

and you can try a different cpu....... maybe the reformat won't be necessary.

I dont have access to another CPU ATM. I'll reformat the boot drive though. 

you might recheck the raid set up/drivers, etc. Maybe reinstall MB drivers.

just sounds odd that it stopped working correctly after taking it to school. if it was networked anything could have migrated or one of you "friends" could have added a bug? maybe spyware?