Creating a Game - Language?

Bigun

I'm a fairly seasoned programmer:  PHP, CSS, HTML, SQL, Perl, Bash, and so on.

But I've always programmed utilities and tools, never a game.  I don't mind paying for a language, but I need it to give me enough time/code to know if it will work for what I need.

So I've had an idea rattling around in my head for a 2d game, and need some ideas for languages.

What the most important aspects for me is the sound engine and compatibility with a variety of systems.

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

You could use Unity3Ds 2D Game engine. In Unity you're usually using C# for programming, but I think you could javascript for some things too. Another advantage of Unity is the pricing, Game engines are usually pretty expensive, but as long as you don't earn more than $100k from selling your game Unity is free

Unreal engine is also free and easier to use than unity. Not sure if it does 2D though.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Gamemaker -  GML ( own language )

Unity - C# or Javascript

Unreal Engine 4 - Blueprint and/or C++

Gamemaker is an engine based on 2D graphics. Unity is a somewhat a hybrid, but both acceptable to make a game out of it.  Unreal is heavily based on 3D graphics, but also has decent 2D features.

41 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Unreal engine is also free and easier to use than unity. Not sure if it does 2D though.

I don't know. To be fair, I've only used Unreal for a short while, but it's a lot more complicated than me using Unity. Also, Unreal uses C++ while Unity3D can support three programming languages: C#, JS and a Boo! (I think), a version of Python with variable names.

Because Unreal is open source, it'll play better with Linux if that matters to you. There has been a .deb package released for Unity3D, but 64-bit only.

Linus' earrings suit him

Please check out this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/659360-saints-row-2s-features/

Rizen and Vehga 2017

1 minute ago, divided_throwaway said:

I don't know. To be fair, I've only used Unreal for a short while, but it's a lot more complicated than me using Unity. Also, Unreal uses C++ while Unity3D can support three programming languages: C#, JS and a Boo! (I think), a version of Python with variable names.

Because Unreal is open source, it'll play better with Linux if that matters to you. There has been a .deb package released for Unity3D, but 64-bit only.

c++ is better than all those three languages IMO, so if someone wants to learn how to code they should do c++ with unreal engine.

Also they have their no-coding-necessary flow chart system you can use to program your games.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

c++ is better than all those three languages IMO, so if someone wants to learn how to code they should do c++ with unreal engine.

Also they have their no-coding-necessary flow chart system you can use to program your games.

Blueprint.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You have to understand key components of programming to use Blueprint nevertheless, says my course leader.

Linus' earrings suit him

Please check out this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/659360-saints-row-2s-features/

Rizen and Vehga 2017

3 minutes ago, divided_throwaway said:

You have to understand key components of programming to use Blueprint nevertheless, says my course leader.

You mean problem solving and logic? That's not specific to programming :P

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You mean problem solving and logic? That's not specific to programming :P

Should have said "elements of programming languages" instead. That I'm a little clueless about since I haven't got far enough to learning a single one.

Linus' earrings suit him

Rizen and Vehga 2017

There is a BIG difference between programmers and game devs. Game devs knows the engine from inside out and use the systems that the engine provide you. A programmer will just start writing down code without knowing what the features are of the game engine. Either way, I suggest looking through all of these engines and read the docs please. Use the engine and don't try to work around it, because that's where many mistakes are made.

2 minutes ago, Guuhan said:

There is a BIG difference between programmers and game devs. Game devs knows the engine from inside out and use the systems that the engine provide you. A programmer will just start writing down code without knowing what the features are of the game engine. Either way, I suggest looking through all of these engines and read the docs please. Use the engine and don't try to work around it, because that's where many mistakes are made.

Good advice. This is why I want to get into programming - to make a game and make a fully-featured one at that.

Linus' earrings suit him

Rizen and Vehga 2017

5 minutes ago, divided_throwaway said:

Good advice. This is why I want to get into programming - to make a game and make a fully-featured one at that.

You won't be the first one that encounter so many basic questions when you're not reading the engine provided docs. After that you're going to ask yourself how much time you've wasted to build something that already exists. Game development is about efficiency and logic. You want to push as much playable clients you can. Most likely everyday to see how much you've progressed in one day. Seeing what you've made makes you smile and keeps the motivation going.