Novel Uses for In Home Phone Lines?

XZDX

Hi

I just watched a ClabRetro video where he's playing with phone line stuff.  I can imagine that one device at a time would be a pain, however he has a 2600 router that allows him to pipe IP over his phonelines.

This seems somewhat useful to me, but I am curious what yall would do if the 56k lines in your house were suddenly useful for..... well something.

21 minutes ago, whispous said:

Could wire up a doorbell on the wires 🙂

I was thinking more like..... idk, wire modems up and run a network for text chat, using like MSN or something.  Or DNS on phoneline, data on ethernet.  IDK.

3 minutes ago, XZDX said:

I was thinking more like..... idk, wire modems up and run a network for text chat, using like MSN or something.  Or DNS on phoneline, data on ethernet.  IDK.

I mean, yea you could probably build a 10Mbit ethernet network on it if you really wanted but you'll need (because I assume you want to keep your existing network for proper internet speeds) another router and stuff? It sounds like a fun project for proof of concept.

Pretty much the only use case I can think of is playing with old modems or dial phones for retrocomputing.

10 minutes ago, XZDX said:

Or DNS on phoneline, data on ethernet.

Doable, but pointless.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Pretty much the only use case I can think of is playing with old modems or dial phones for retrocomputing.

Doable, but pointless.

Hardly.  DNS tunneling is pretty useful.  Point isn't "Peak Realism", the point is a fun idea

I'm from Tek Syndicate this used to be normal on forums