comfy headphones wanted(UPDATED)

Alex(PlayMedium)

UPDATE http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/66284-comfy-headphones-wantedupdated/?p=963859

Hello, my Orcas have (finally) decided to die, so I need new headphones, this time I want good sound :D

But it isn't as easy as it seems, my head is very bad for headphones, the orcas, while not sounding that good, are the only over-ear headphones I can wear for longer than 1 hour without ear pain(that I ahve tried). This is due to two things:

1. My ears are big.

Not THAT big of a deal, most over-ear headphones should be big enough, but they extend away from my head a bit, about 2cm max.

2. If you didn't know, the human skull is not very round, it's kinda pointy at the top:

sYm1KnU.png
This is also more pronounced on my head than usual.
Because of that, most headphones are uncomfortable for me, so I want some good sounding cans that fit me without pain. The razer orca headphones are so comfortable for me, because they don't touch the very top of the head, but rest on the sides(This improoves comfort my orders of magnitude!) :
1l89.png

So here is what i want really:
-open design(voip is so weird with closed headphones)
-headband that rests no weight on the center of my head
-detachable cable(All headphones I ever used died because of the cable)
-around the ear design
-good sound (I am coming from razer audio products, it can't be that hard to amaze me with audio)
-not too loose on the head(I want to use it with the oculus, don't want it falling off my head when looking in the sky)

I have a soundcard (Xonar DGX) which has an amp, so slightly higher than normal ohm values are acceptable.

Please help me, I am currently stuck with razer electras, they are just so bad..

budget is 130€, can stretch it a bit if needed.

tl;dr: want comfy headphones, max 130€

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I don't think you can buy them at a store, but the headphones I got in business class on BA (British airways) were very comfortable and sound quite nice. If you are ever on one of their flights I recommend snatching a pair. (Although I am no audiophile so they might not be up to your spec in terms of sound)

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

The AD700X would be right up your alley, but I don't know how much they would be in germany.

I can where them for a several hours and they are so comfy.

you'll probably jizz youself with the audio technica 3d wing headphones

These are probably the most comfy headphones I have worn to date when considering full size headphones. AD700 ftw

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

+1 for ath-ad700's

so comfy

If ur hell bent on X, dont ask for X vs Y suggestions

As stated AD700's (All of the ATH-ADxxx series actually) are extremely comfortable, however something worth noting is that if your head is on the smaller side you may run into issues with them slipping of your head.

Edit: Read your post a little better. The 700x's should be in your budget, if not the 700's would be. They're open ear and sound great for the money, there's no detachable cable though but tbh that's not a very common feature (some akg headphones and other's have this, can't think of anything in your budget atm though). Only thing is you may have issues with them slipping off your head, it might be worth finding a store where you can try them on first.

I could get AD700s for 149€. Kinda stretching my budget, but I can do it I think.

Does anyone of you actually have one? I want to know how wide my head would have to be in order for them to fit me properly.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

if your head is too narrow you can get a hairband or elastic band (a plain elastic will snag your hair) across the 2 wings to fit a narrow head better. 

and myself and the robotic taco eating turkey from the future both own the ad700 aside from using oversized calipers which I dont have I don't know how to measure the width of my head though

I just got my 500X today, and I did feel it was slipping a bit - rubber band works like a charm.

How do you like them so far? I've been looking at new headphones and that on my list

How do you like them so far? I've been looking at new headphones and that on my list

Had them for less than a day, so I'm not gonna comment on particularities of the sound, but it is good, and I really like the pads. Unfortunately, the cable wants to keep it's curled-up shape, am disappointed I have to resort to the rubber band, and the clamping force is a bit much. Just sitting here typing, however, I took them off and bent the metal bands a bit to relieve the clamping with success.

I actually plan to write a comparison review with the Pioneer SE-A1000, and the ATH-T400 (if Massdrop gets them to me soon enough :rolleyes:).

how far apart do the 2 earcups have to be in order for it to fit snug?

#KILLEDMYWIFE

how far apart do the 2 earcups have to be in order for it to fit snug?

Depends on the size of your head....

Depends on the size of your head....

Yeah, I'd like to know how far apart my ears have to be in order for it to fit me ;)

#KILLEDMYWIFE

• 2 weeks later...

Are the AD700s significantly better than the AD500s? Here in germany I can get the 500 for 95€ but the 700s cost 159€, which is quiet a significant difference, since i am a student and don't have all teh mon3yz to throw at a pair of new headphones, so are they worth it over the 500s?

#KILLEDMYWIFE

The AD500 or AD500X? I've only listened to the AD500X from Audiotechnica and it's good, but the cable is annoyingly bad.

The AD500 or AD500X? I've only listened to the AD500X from Audiotechnica and it's good, but the cable is annoyingly bad.

what do you mean by bad?

#KILLEDMYWIFE

It retains it's shape, like a slinky.

attachicon.gifIMAG02481.jpg

damn.. guess I'll get the AD700 then, thanks for the insight ;)

#KILLEDMYWIFE

damn.. guess I'll get the AD700 then, thanks for the insight ;)

Again, that's the AD500X - don't know about the AD500.

Again, that's the AD500X - don't know about the AD500.

I doubt the 500 will be higher quality, the 500x is almost twice as expensive as the 500, which makes it even more expensive than the 700

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I doubt the 500 will be higher quality, the 500x is almost twice as expensive as the 500, which makes it even more expensive than the 700

I'd argue with your logic, but the assumption might be valid anyways, so whatever.  ^_^

I hope the 700's are as comfy and good sounding as you're wanting - give us a quickie review when you get 'em. 

My aiaiai tma-1 studio young guru edition are quite very comfy and are one of the few pair of headphones I dont notice im wearing due to their design.