Canon EOS M5, have they finally made a good mirrorless camera?

cc143
1 hour ago, ALwin said:

-snip-

Oh wow, I never noticed the connections were different between the brands. That explains why flash triggers / third party flashes are made specific per brand (Always wondered why that was the case). Well, the more I know now.

6 hours ago, ALwin said:

If you own Canon cameras, buy flash units that are fully compatible for Canon cameras.  Do not buy Nikon, it will be a waste of your money.

Here's why.  Below are the hotshoes from a Sony, Nikon and Canon camera.  The only common things they share are the standard hotshoe size and the central connection point.  The positioning of the other connection points are different and those points are necessary to communicate data between the camera and the flash unit to enable features such as TTL, high speed sync, and other creative modes.  You cannot mount a Nikon speedlight on a Canon DSLR (even if it fits) and expect to be able to use Nikon's creative lighting system.  You'll only have access to the basic triggering of the flash.

You might be able to access some features using a hotshoe adapter or a wireless trigger system with the transmitter compatible (for example) with Canon bodies and a receiver that's compatible with Nikon flash units as long as the receiver and transmitter can communicate.  But again I say, you might not be able to utilize all the features.

I wasn't saying I would buy a nikon flash, I was just curious about the video I linked above and the guys assertion, so if I ever came across a nikon flash I would try it on my canon. My 430EX more than covers me I don't need another one for now.

So the point on the video about flashes is basically a moot point? 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

Honestly, its kinda mediocre spec wise

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 hour ago, cc143 said:

I wasn't saying I would buy a nikon flash, I was just curious about the video I linked above and the guys assertion, so if I ever came across a nikon flash I would try it on my canon. My 430EX more than covers me I don't need another one for now.

So the point on the video about flashes is basically a moot point? 

He doesn't mention anything about TTL or high speed sync. All he mentions is that mounting a Nikon flash on a Sony works.  Yes it works, basic flash triggering.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

On 9/19/2016 at 9:17 AM, ShadowCaptain said:

Honestly, its kinda mediocre spec wise

In my mind its good enough, and honestly, I don't think I'd need anything else in a compact camera that I just wanna carry with me, especially with EF compatibility (using adapter.) 

I like the fact it is received that way though, means I will be able to get one half price or something in January or something, Same thing with the 5d4 I guess, it should depreciate like a rock due to limited (comparably) demand. I wouldn't mind seeing it fall to 2500 in a year (may finally be able to affrod the 5d3 at that rate;P). 

That said, canon does need to wake up, the 5d4 was a disappointment in some regards, even though I like it a lot, and this could be much better with a screen that flips to the side. 

On 9/19/2016 at 9:30 AM, ALwin said:

He doesn't mention anything about TTL or high speed sync. All he mentions is that mounting a Nikon flash on a Sony works.  Yes it works, basic flash triggering.

So basically most of the guys points are not valid. I kind of expected that when I was looking at it tbh, but not to this extent. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

1 minute ago, cc143 said:

In my mind its good enough, and honestly, I don't think I'd need anything else in a compact camera that I just wanna carry with me, especially with EF compatibility (using adapter.) 

It just seems a bad buy

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

It just seems a bad buy

You mean given the price or in general? 

I concede there are better offerings out there, but you can't deny that had this been at 700 instead(which I expect it will be shortly), it would be great value.  I even like the specs, even though that's not the case with everyone. 

1 minute ago, cc143 said:

You mean given the price or in general? 

I concede there are better offerings out there, but you can't deny that had this been at 700 instead(which I expect it will be shortly), it would be great value.  I even like the specs, even though that's not the case with everyone. 

Everything really, and it not doing 4k is really pants too, I see no point in buying tech that is already behind

22 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Everything really, and it not doing 4k is really pants too, I see no point in buying tech that is already behind

For someone like me, who only takes video when opening a random box they got from ebay, just to be safe, its pretty much not necessary. Also, 4k is not that well used yet, most people who are not content creators don't have need to use it, or even if they did, they'd just end up with a much larger kids recital video. Even vloggers, many use the EOS 70D still and this is pretty much an 80D in a much smaller size. 

Point is, if for these shortcomings, the price significantly drops, then I'm in, just because I don't want to buy any lenses for another system at a premium, and in the 11 years I've been shooting Canon, I've preferred them to anything else, Brand loyalty, which I am sure everyone here knows and understands means I'm able to live without some stuff if they are of no use to me, what shall I do with 4k or a side flipping screen if I don't take video. 

6 minutes ago, cc143 said:

SNIP 

Fair enough but its dumb for a company to bother releasing products with limited broad appeal, especially at in the consumer catagory

4k is more and more every day becoming more prevelent, all new TVs are, heck some phones tablets and laptops are, plus youtube supports 4k and its a great aquisition tool - also even for a photographer as you can get 30fps 8mp photos out of a video!

But yeah i guess just dont see where it fits in the market

I avoid brand loyalty wherever possible 

4 hours ago, cc143 said:

So basically most of the guys points are not valid. I kind of expected that when I was looking at it tbh, but not to this extent. 

Regarding the part where he talks about using a Nikon flash on a Sony camera, yes.  Sure you can manually configure something like a Nikon SB-900, 910, etc. speedlight for any power setting in manual mode but not being able to use TTL and of course missing the full capability of Nikon's Creative Lighting System you miss out on a lot of things that can be done.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer