5 ghz on a 4790k?

I got an amazing deal on a 4790k, and I just couldn't pass it up.  $175, brand new unopened.  I already have a 6700k, but since I have a z87 Mobo with a g3258 that my wife was using with my old hd 7870, i figured I might as well get the most out of that setup. Particularly since the motherboard and gpu were gifts, i found 20GB of 1333 ddr3 for $25 on craigslist, and I bought the case and psu (thermaltake v3, and cx 600m).  All in all, I'll have $300 into it, including cpu, ram, 3tb wd blue, case, psu and 240gb pny ssd.  Not a bad little setup, if I do say so myself.  

Anyways, it turns out this is a pretty damn good lottery ticket.  It has been stable for 12+ hours on intel xtu, and 4+ hours on realbench stress test at 4.9ghz, 1.28vcore.  Uncore is set to 4.6ghz, and I haven't tried pushing past that.

That's plenty of overclock for 24/7, and with the 120mm thick aio (intel thermal solution 2011rts), and I don't want to push harder than that for every day, but I am interested in seeing that glorius 5000 across the screen while benchmarking. I managed to get it to 5000mhz at 1.35 volts, and it was stable for one cinebench run but the score wasn't higher than @ 4.9ghz, and it crashed on the second run.  

j0udrm.png

http://valid.x86.fr/j0udrm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw6Fd-vfV9Q_eXg2cktDa1hhaTA/view?usp=sharing 

Temps are hovering around the 75-80c, stabilizing after a minute or two and then not changing much other than an occasional spike that dips immediately.

I'm not the most knowledgeable overclocker, so maybe someone can help me tweak a few settings to stabilize it enough to run benches on just for kicks.  I've tried as high as 1.36V, with 1.9 Vrin, and overclocking the uncore.  Blue screen instantly appear if I change the bclk to even 100.2, and the RAM won't overclock at all, not even to 1600 with 1.65v and loosen the timings to c10.   

What other voltages would be necessary to tweak to help with stability?  I know @Lays had a 4790K @ 5.2ghz, but it was delidded and quite probably an even better lottery winner, but perhaps you might have some suggestions? I know there is diminishing returns where it takes much more voltage to increase even a little clock speed, but with 4.9@1.28 it just seems like it would be a shame not to join the 5ghz club for the first time. ( I am testing 1.27v, and it's been stable for an hour+).

Either way, this thing is a frickin beast.  With a 975cb cinebench score, it's within spitting distance of my 6700K @ 4.7 ghz (1018cb), even with 1333mhz ddr3  ram vs 3200mhz ddr4.  If I put better ram, the distance would probably shrink even further.  I do wonder about the Digital foundry test of the 6700K vs 4790K @ 4.4 that showed big improvements for the skylake chip in gta v and far cry 4, and whether those differences would be there at 4.7 vs 4.7, or even 4.7 vs 4.9.  I'm thinking about testing it out with my oc'd 1070. 

Any help tuning this chip would be greatly appreciated.  As i said, I'm not looking for a 24/7 5ghz, as with the small aio i'm already pushing it @ 4.9 and 80c, but just for a little fun crushing benches. 

i would prob drop the multipler a bit to around 40 and mess with cpu strap to get it stable at 125mhz bclk, then slowly raise the multiplier again

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

You could try bringing the BCLK a little higher at 1.3v or something - with a 49x multiplier even just 2MHz extra on the bclk would bring you within 2MHz of the 5GHz mark. 102 isn't really dangerous and you can revert it if it gets unstable.

What are you using to cool it btw?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, DrM said:

i would prob drop the multipler a bit to around 40 and mess with cpu strap to get it stable at 125mhz bclk, then slowly raise the multiplier again

The ram bsod with any overclock, so I might be able to try that with a 133:100 ratio.  I'll check it out.

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You could try bringing the BCLK a little higher at 1.3v or something - with a 49x multiplier even just 2MHz extra on the bclk would bring you within 2MHz of the 5GHz mark. 102 isn't really dangerous and you can revert it if it gets unstable.

When I tried to raise the bclk the first time, even 100.5 wouldn't post, but I'm pretty sure it's the memory since it acted exactly the same when i tried to overclock the ram. Maybe I'll get a cheap, fast stick just for testing oc's for fun. 

1 minute ago, ace_cheaply said:

The ram bsod with any overclock, so I might be able to try that with a 133:100 ratio.  I'll check it out.

When I tried to raise the bclk the first time, even 100.5 wouldn't post, but I'm pretty sure it's the memory since it acted exactly the same when i tried to overclock the ram. Maybe I'll get a cheap, fast stick just for testing oc's for fun. 

maybe push more voltage to the ram? (with care obviously, maybe with one stick at a time)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Intel thermal solutions rts2011, 120mm (thick) aio. 

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

maybe push more voltage to the ram? (with care obviously, maybe with one stick at a time)

I tried 1.65V.  Not really sure how much more is safe, I've never really got into ram overclocking, but that's what I read from a quick google search. That said, I didn't think of trying them one at a time to see if one was better. So obvious, haha.  Thanks, I'll definitely try that. 

1 minute ago, ace_cheaply said:

I tried 1.65V.  Not really sure how much more is safe, I've never really got into ram overclocking, but that's what I read from a quick google search. 

hmm, 1.65 is pretty high, if it doesn't respond I'd stop poking it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

43 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

I got an amazing deal on a 4790k, and I just couldn't pass it up.  $175, brand new unopened.  I already have a 6700k, but since I have a z87 Mobo with a g3258 that my wife was using with my old hd 7870, i figured I might as well get the most out of that setup. Particularly since the motherboard and gpu were gifts, i found 20GB of 1333 ddr3 for $25 on craigslist, and I bought the case and psu (thermaltake v3, and cx 600m).  All in all, I'll have $300 into it, including cpu, ram, 3tb wd blue, case, psu and 240gb pny ssd.  Not a bad little setup, if I do say so myself. 

I just want to say that I initially read that as "$3000", looked back at your specs, and loudly said, "HOW IN THE ACTUAL FREAKING HELL?!". Well played.

Do you have XMP enabled, by chance? If so, you might want to turn it off. I've found that it artificially limits the ceiling of my 4790K, and screws with stability in general.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

hmm, 1.65 is pretty high, if it doesn't respond I'd stop poking it.

Yeah, it's pretty much just a pride thing, lol. I don't want to give up. But I probably should stop poking the ram as you said, It's a cheap model, old set of crucial ballistix. There's probably not much room left.  I'll probably buy a 2133, or 2400 4gb stick of ddr3 just to play with the blclk a little more, but I should probably just be happy with a 95 percentile chip and call it a good day, haha. :)

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I just want to say that I initially read that as "$3000", looked back at your specs, and loudly said, "HOW IN THE ACTUAL FREAKING HELL?!". Well played.

Do you have XMP enabled, by chance? If so, you might want to turn it off. I've found that it artificially limits the ceiling of my 4790K, and screws with stability in general.

Take a look at my thread here, I almost had way more than that into it. Shame they were out of stock ;) 

Unfortunately, xmp never worked with this set of ram so I've had it disabled for quite some time.