Broadwell-E processor on Haswell-E motherboard?

Melodist

Howdy fellas,

Are there any drawbacks performance-wise by using a Broadwell-E processor on an Asus X99 Sabertooth motherboard (Haswell-E). Will the bios update allow for 3200 memory support and 128 gigabytes of ram or are only the newer Broadwell-E revisions only capable of this? If the latter is not an option, will I still be able to use a Broadwell-E cpu at its full potential because given the specs, it merely supports 2400 DDR 4 anyways. So why do so many people put 3200 DDR4 in their motherboards? For overclocking? As far as I remember, I never used to overclock the memory and only worked with multipliers and cpu voltages, which usually gave me the most stable performance for I don't need extreme cpu clock speeds.

For most users, to reach around stable 4.2 GHz with a 6- or 8-core with this generation, I don't think ram overclocking is involved at all? Don't get my wrong, I'm not a complete layman when it comes to computers and overclocking, I build audio equipment on a regular basis and used to overclock and put builds together a while back, but having stuck with my Mac Pro now for so long, I've lost track of what's usual / common. If there won't be any cpu and ram performance drawbacks from using the X99 Sabertooth Haswell-E release with an upgraded bios, then I'd really like to consider this one as my potential purchases.

What are you planning to do on the rig also i dont tgink theres a difference i think if you look at the board specs that should list its capabilities such as ddr4 3200mhz

It will work just update the bios. But if you want to be sure pick up an x99 a II from asus.

According to the website, the supported ram ends at 2400, so a bios update won't add higher rated ram?

I dunno if I'd benefit from using 3200 DDR4 vs 2400?

Yes, 3200 will work perfectly fine.  All Asus x99 boards share the same QVL list.

No, a pre "refresh" board will not hinder your BWE CPU in any way.

People put 3200 in their x99 for more bandwidth.  Enable XMP and go.  That easy usually.

You can choose to overclock anything your want on your x99 build.  Will all of it help.  Yes.  How much?  Depends.

27 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yes, 3200 will work perfectly fine.  All Asus x99 boards share the same QVL list.

No, a pre "refresh" board will not hinder your BWE CPU in any way.

People put 3200 in their x99 for more bandwidth.  Enable XMP and go.  That easy usually.

You can choose to overclock anything your want on your x99 build.  Will all of it help.  Yes.  How much?  Depends.

Alright, so by updating the bios, it should support 3200 memory as all the other boards and 120 gb of memory?

1 minute ago, Melodist said:

Alright, so by updating the bios, it should support 3200 memory as all the other boards and 120 gb of memory?

It will support 3200 MHz memory provided that you buy a quality set in the amount that you want to use.  You don't want to buy 4 separate sticks and try to get that type of speed out of them.  Buy a certified set in whatever amount of sticks that you want.  Stick with sets of 4 or 8.

It will actually support 128 GB.  8 up from the 120 you mentioned.  :D

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

It will support 3200 MHz memory provided that you buy a quality set in the amount that you want to use.  You don't want to buy 4 separate sticks and try to get that type of speed out of them.  Buy a certified set in whatever amount of sticks that you want.  Stick with sets of 4 or 8.

It will actually support 128 GB.  8 up from the 120 you mentioned.  :D

Well that's what I've asked, whether the bios update on the Sabertooth will add support for 3200 ddr4 memory and 128 gb of memory? :D

saber.jpg

Which board would you pick? The X99-A II, Sabertooth or MSI workstation?

11 minutes ago, Melodist said:

Well that's what I've asked, whether the bios update on the Sabertooth will add support for 3200 ddr4 memory and 128 gb of memory? :D

saber.jpg

Which board would you pick? The X99-A II, Sabertooth or MSI workstation?

I'd personally use the x99-A II.  I don't need my motherboard dressed for combat.  xD

18 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I'd personally use the x99-A II.  I don't need my motherboard dressed for combat.  xD

So you think their durability advertising is mostly for the sake of advertising? And the x99-a ii would endure just as fine?

2 hours ago, Melodist said:

So you think their durability advertising is mostly for the sake of advertising? And the x99-a ii would endure just as fine?

Yes.  The armor doesn't necessarily provide additional durability with regards to the functions of the board.  It just protects the board from...  well you!