Nvidia and AMD GPU in same system

akosin

Hey guys,

I have an R9 390 for gaming but I've been having to do a lot of video rendering lately and the software that I use can be accelerated with CUDA.  Can I put another GPU (Nvidia) in my system and only use it for cuda acceleration?  And If i can, what card would benefit me?  I may be able to get ahold of a used 660 or 670.  Would a GT 730 give me any benefit?

System Specs:

i7-4790K

16 GB RAM

R9 390 8GB

hella storage

Thanks guys!!!

scrap the gt 730 and get the gtx 660, although CUDA acceleration wouldn't impact the performance much anyway

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

You shouldn't mix them, their drivers don't really play well together.

And the OpenCL acceleration from the 390 can drive your NLE.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, AdamBGames said:

scrap the gt 730 and get the gtx 660, although CUDA acceleration wouldn't impact the performance much anyway

I guess that'd depend on his application. Some apps do benefit from it quite a bit.

Well I wouldn't be gaming on the nvidia card, I'd basically be using it as a cheapo Tesla card.  Will CUDA acceleration on the 660 speed up my workflow?

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

And the OpenCL acceleration from the 390 can drive your NLE.

Are you sure? My 290 and 750Ti have been completely fine, even through drive updates :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Does a GT 730 even have CUDA?

As far as i know, from personal expierience, the GT 730 isn't that strong of a graphics chip. Yes, it surely is a good one for Minecraft or TF2.

But compared to the R9 390, according to videocardbenchmark score, they are 6100 points apart, with the 730 being about 900 and the R9 390 about 7100.

So, i guess you could use it for something like AMD Physics or something? I guess you can't, but even if you could, it wouldn't be that great.

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Are you sure? My 290 and 750Ti have been completely fine, even through drive updates :P

I'm not 100% sure, I've just heard people saying they've had issues.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, FizzyGreen said:

As far as i know, from personal expierience, the GT 730 isn't that strong of a graphics chip. Yes, it surely is a good one for Minecraft or TF2.

But compared to the R9 390, according to videocardbenchmark score, they are 6100 points apart, with the 730 being about 900 and the R9 390 about 7100.

So, i guess you could use it for something like AMD Physics or something? I guess you can't, but even if you could, it wouldn't be that great.

I'd only be using CUDA acceleration since AMD's APP doesn't work like at all

And does anyone have any recommendations on applications to convert video files from FLV to MP4 that work really well with CUDA?

4 minutes ago, akosin said:

You could do that. Although, the only benefit you would be getting is to have CUDA at all. And if you need it to render something with CUDA then that card unfortunately isn't going to be of much help, because it's pretty weak for such a task. Considering that CUDA acceleration doesn't even give me any benefit in Primiere Pro with my GTX 970. But if you need it for something like blender, CUDA might be useful. Though, still, that GPU would be too weak, to give you any signifficant boost, i believe.

11 minutes ago, ALwin said:

2a345c91cb.jpg

you were saying?

i have two thing to add to this picture:

- the HD5770 isnt in my system anymore, mostly because it sounds like a jet engine and i've had to replace the cooler 3 times since the making of this picture.

- while both amd and nvidia are present, and even intel (for which by the way i also have the drivers installed, because quicksync) i unfortunately am not enough of a baller to waste money on a matrox card :P

28 minutes ago, akosin said:

Hey guys,

I have an R9 390 for gaming but I've been having to do a lot of video rendering lately and the software that I use can be accelerated with CUDA.  Can I put another GPU (Nvidia) in my system and only use it for cuda acceleration?  And If i can, what card would benefit me?  I may be able to get ahold of a used 660 or 670.  Would a GT 730 give me any benefit?

Short answer: No. No benefit. Unless you have a GTX 970 or better, you are better off using your R9 390 for OpenCL-aided encoding. So ditch your 730 or sell it, and overclock your 390 instead to get the most out of the card.

Off-topic question: why is the older R9 290 performing better than a 390X?

Spoiler

Mobo: Asus Z370-A Prime

CPU: Intel i7 8700K

RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Beast

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB

Case: Fractal Define R6 Tempered Glass, Black

SSD 1: Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe SSD

SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

SSD 3: Crucial MX500 500 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005 64MB 4TB 7200 rpm

PSU: Corsair RM750X v2

Display 1: AOC Agon AG271QG

Display 2: Dell U2711

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Cherry MX Brown

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II

Soundcard: Creative AE-5 Soundblaster

Headphones: Sennheiser RS 165 Wireless

Microphone 1: Audio Technica AT2020+ USB

Microphone 2: Antlion Audiio ModMic Wireless

1 minute ago, Mortis Angelus said:

Short answer: No. No benefit. Unless you have a GTX 970 or better, you are better off using your R9 390 for OpenCL-aided encoding. So ditch your 730 or sell it, and overclock your 390 instead to get the most out of the card.

Off-topic question: why is the older R9 290 performing better than a 390X?

What software uses Open-CL aided encoding?

8 minutes ago, akosin said:

What software uses Open-CL aided encoding?

Did you watch the video?

Also, you didnt tell us which software you were using, but since you talked about CUDA-usage I assumed we were talking Adobe software.

Spoiler

Just now, Mortis Angelus said:

Did you watch the video?

Also, you didnt tell us which software you were using, but since you talked about CUDA-usage I assumed we were talking Adobe software.

I was trying to switch to Adobe Media Encoder CC but I get an error while importing an FLV file

11 minutes ago, akosin said:

I was trying to switch to Adobe Media Encoder CC but I get an error while importing an FLV file

Adobe do not support .flv any more. Either start recording in mp4 or use Handbrake for converting your video files.

So record your gameplay in mp4 from now on to skip this process. 

Spoiler

43 minutes ago, akosin said:

Hey guys,

System Specs:

i7-4790K

16 GB RAM

R9 390 8GB

hella storage

Thanks guys!!!

yes you could make it work. But from personal experience from doin so, there is a very high chance you will run into fucked up weird issues.

44 minutes ago, akosin said:

8 minutes ago, Prysin said:

yes you could make it work. But from personal experience from doin so, there is a very high chance you will run into fucked up weird issues.

But unless he uses a Gtx 970 or better (or RX 470 and better) he wont see any benefit over his R9 390

Spoiler

Just now, Mortis Angelus said:

But unless he uses a Gtx 970 or better (or RX 470 and better) he wont see any benefit over his R9 390

depends on the software.

If he uses Sony Vegas, then even a Titan X Pascal wont beat a R9 390. Because Sony Vegas is retardedly well optimized for AMD.

Actually its good to mix them. I've used openCL on a system with intel, AMD and nvidia GPUs. If you are coding you can run code on each of them seperately. By having all 3 of them you will have a total of 4 processors that are openCL capable and can run what they do best. nvidia refuses to support any newer openCL versions so they only support openCL 1.1

21 minutes ago, Prysin said:

depends on the software.

If he uses Sony Vegas, then even a Titan X Pascal wont beat a R9 390. Because Sony Vegas is retardedly well optimized for AMD.

He is using Adobe media encoder cc, so my quess is that he is using Adobe CC. I think sony vegas supports flv, but I am not sure.

I have provided him with all the tools and information he would need for now to get things going.

EDIT: Sony Vegas is not natively supporting flv either. I guess everyone hates flash.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Mortis Angelus said:

He is using Adobe media encoder cc, so my quess is that he is using Adobe CC. I think sony vegas supports flv, but I am not sure.

I have provided him with all the tools and information he would need for now to get things going.

well i can test how well a 295x2 does in CC. as i have the full software suite.

46 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you were saying?

I'm basing my comment on what others have said about their attempts having problems.  I read that DX12 should allow mixing of different manufacturer cards.  I don't have an AMD and nVidia GPU to test it out.

1 hour ago, FizzyGreen said:

1 hour ago, akosin said:

Hey guys,

System Specs:

i7-4790K

16 GB RAM

R9 390 8GB

hella storage

Thanks guys!!!

GT 730 only has 96  or 384 (depending on the version) CUDA cores, not at all worth and and won't make a noticeable difference. Just hold out for a higher end GPU with at least 1000 cores (more is better). My GTX980 cuts Premiere render times in half but that has 2048 cores.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.