Why 4960X?

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but every time I see a build log with a 3960X or 3970X (haven't seen 4960X yet, but surely they'll come) I just ask myself why anybody would want to invest in one as opposed to a 3930K or a 4930K. The only difference, to me, seems to be a slightly larger L3 cache, but surely that's not worth the extra $400 or so...like personally, I'd just use that money to add another GTX770 or bigger PSU, nicer case...etc. so many other things!

So yeah, why would anybody buy a 3960X, 3970X and 4960X?

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

to make up for small peen syndrome

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but every time I see a build log with a 3960X or 3970X (haven't seen 4960X yet, but surely they'll come) I just ask myself why anybody would want to invest in one as opposed to a 3930K or a 4930K. The only difference, to me, seems to be a slightly larger L3 cache, but surely that's not worth the extra $400 or so...like personally, I'd just use that money to add another GTX770 or bigger PSU, nicer case...etc. so many other things!

So yeah, why would anybody buy a 3960X, 3970X and 4960X?

The 3930K and 4930K are not FULLY unlocked, the multiplier does have a limt, same with voltage, whilst the 3970x, 3960x,a dn 4960x are 100% fully unlocked, You can push them as high as you want!

It's a cherry picked 4930K that will overclock better than the rest of them.  It's really intended for overclocking competitions, where normally one would have to keep going through multiple 4930Ks and trying until they get a good one, or they can pay an extra $500 up front and get one pre-sorted by Intel.  And the competitors are usually sponsored anyway, so it's not really a big deal.

I correct my statement as Linus has pointed out :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

The 3930K and 4930K are not FULLY unlocked, the multiplier does have a limt, same with voltage, whilst the 3970x, 3960x,a dn 4960x are 100% fully unlocked, You can push them as high as you want!

The i7-3820 is the only partially locked CPU (hence the lack of K branding, even though the multiplier can be changed to overclock it a fair bit), the other ones are all fully unlocked.

This is the most accurate statement by far.

No, it isn't.

K-series processors are as unlocked as X-series processors.

They just don't come with same sex appeal that will women, men, and animals alike throw themselves naked at your feet.

Regards,

Linus

No, it isn't.

They just don't come with same sex appeal that will women, men, and animals alike throw themselves naked at your feet.

Regards,

Linus

My first thought was 3 words ( because People can ) but I thought Glenwing and 91wow sounded better then my thoughts lol

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

No, it isn't.

Regards,

Linus

Well... there's that.

so u says 4930k cant overclock good as X series

It's a cherry picked 4930K that will overclock better than the rest of them.  It's really intended for overclocking competitions, where normally one would have to keep going through multiple 4930Ks and trying until they get a good one, or they can pay an extra $500 up front and get one pre-sorted by Intel.  And the competitors are usually sponsored anyway, so it's not really a big deal.

and u say they are better to overclock

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Yes and no; in general a 4960X will overclock higher than a 4930K since it is, as Glen said, cherry picked. However, if you get super lucky, in theory you could get a 4930K that would outperform a 4960X. It's not particularly common, but it can happen. Other than that, the main reasons to get a 4960X are to eliminate the CPU as a bottleneck as much as possible, and, as Linus said, for the sheer sex appeal (#BraggingRights).

If you want an extreme edition you may as well spend more to get a Xeon E7-2890v2 which is like 2.8-2.9GHz turbo and 15 cores 30 threads,you cannot overclock to 10GHz to compete with this Xeon Can you?

I agree with you,dunno why these extreme editions exist ,other than for show.

No, it isn't.

Regards,

Linus

Wow, Linus responded to a thread I made :D - I feel just a little star struck! But I'm waiting on that latest video editing build guide, can't wait to watch it, I love your videos! :)

Yes and no; in general a 4960X will overclock higher than a 4930K since it is, as Glen said, cherry picked. However, if you get super lucky, in theory you could get a 4930K that would outperform a 4960X. It's not particularly common, but it can happen. Other than that, the main reasons to get a 4960X are to eliminate the CPU as a bottleneck as much as possible, and, as Linus said, for the sheer sex appeal (#BraggingRights).

That's what I've been told by someone else before, but yeah, I guess at the end of the day, it's the sex appeal and the bragging rights really :) Unless you're going like LN2 cooling, I doubt you'll be getting that many more MHz out of a 4960X compared to a 4930K. Like I've been told that a 3770K is "binned" higher than a 3570K, so they should overclock better, but I've managed to get my 3570K up to 5.4 GHz on water, but when I tried to overclock a relative's 3770K, couldn't get anywhere near, it just BSOD'd at 4.7GHz no matter how high the voltage was. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Wow, Linus responded to a thread I made :D - I feel just a little star struck! But I'm waiting on that latest video editing build guide, can't wait to watch it, I love your videos! :)

That's what I've been told by someone else before, but yeah, I guess at the end of the day, it's the sex appeal and the bragging rights really :) Unless you're going like LN2 cooling, I doubt you'll be getting that many more MHz out of a 4960X compared to a 4930K. Like I've been told that a 3770K is "binned" higher than a 3570K, so they should overclock better, but I've managed to get my 3570K up to 5.4 GHz on water, but when I tried to overclock a relative's 3770K, couldn't get anywhere near, it just BSOD'd at 4.7GHz no matter how high the voltage was. 

That sounds like a DAMN good 3570K and a relatively average 3770K

That sounds like a DAMN good 3570K and a relatively average 3770K

Yeah, I was actually really lucky to get that 3570K:

http://valid.canardpc.com/tk29we

It was absolutely awesome, I attempted to de-lid it to get some extra juice, but I broke it in the process. I was lucky enough to just claim an RMA and I managed to get it replaced (new one is on its way), but I doubt it'd be as good. 

I guess my motherboard also helped though, the AsRock Z77 OC Formula has a really good VRM solution. Also the temps were really high, like I'm talking it'd be well over 90 degrees load at 5.40 GHz, so it wasn't really something I could run daily and that's with a 360 + 240 rad. 

4960x will OC much higher than a 4930K, BUT a 4930K is much better price wise! IMO

okay.

But i think i shoud go with a 4930k to have money to a 290x:)

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

4960x will OC much higher than a 4930K, BUT a 4930K is much better price wise! IMO

I know that's what everyone says, but on HWbot and stuff the average clock reached on a 3930K and a 3960X are more or less the same.