Use Skylake Xeon in B150 Gaming K4 Mobo

Dhazrian

Hi Everyone,

A few weeks ago i saw a video on Youtube in which Linus suggested that a Skylake Xeon chip would run on basically any Skylake mobo even if not officially supported. Can anyone else verify this?

no, it won't work. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

no, it won't work. 

4 minutes ago, PenPoint said:

NOT COMPATIBLE AT ALL.

Why not? Xeon E3-1231v3 works in any Haswell mobo.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

it was on an official linus tech tips video. i think the title was "best cpu - intel edition" or something along those lines.

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

What are you talking about?

In Skylake(7th) gen, Xeon E3 isn't compatible with normal chipsets(H110, B150, H170, Q170, Z170) and is only compatible with server chipsets(C232/C236).

2 minutes ago, PenPoint said:

What are you talking about?

In Skylake(7th) gen, Xeon E3 isn't compatible with normal chipsets(H110, B150, H170, Q170, Z170) and is only compatible with server chipsets(C232/C236).

I mean that when a Haswell Xeon E3-1231v3 works in any Haswell mobo, why wouldn't a Skylake Xeon like that work in any Skylake mobo?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I mean that when a Haswell Xeon E3-1231v3 works in any Haswell mobo, why wouldn't a Skylake Xeon like that work in any Skylake mobo?

Oh, got it. This is not for sure, but many people are supposing that due to the low profit Intel gets when they sell server-level stuffs, Intel changed their strategies as not to make Xeons compatible with normal chipsets.

well according to what was said in the video the only feature that is really lost by doing so is the lack of ECC memory support based on your mobo.

16 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

intel cut support for consumer chipsets on skylake xeons; they don't boot in a consumer mobo IIRC.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

2 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

intel cut support for consumer chipsets on skylake xeons; they don't boot in a consumer mobo IIRC.

Haswell was the only exception to E3 xeons on consumer chipsets, E3 v1, and v2 chips don't work on consumer lga 1156 boards without the "c" chipset.

(There are some instances on older e3s working on consumer boards, but it is a specific board/cpu combo, and there isn't a lot of work done to find what chips work on what boards.)

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

4 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Haswell was the only exception to E3 xeons on consumer chipsets, E3 v1, and v2 chips don't work on consumer lga 1156 boards without the "c" chipset.

(There are some instances on older e3s working on consumer boards, but it is a specific board/cpu combo, and there isn't a lot of work done to find what chips work on what boards.)

only skylake xeons don't work with consumer mobos, all other sockets work fine. 

3 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Because Intel chose to do it differently this generation, I guess. Perhaps they felt their Xeon E3s needed further differentiation from their i7's. Maybe the Haswell Xeon E3's ate into sales of the i7-4770/4790.

Officially the Skylake Xeons require the C232 or C236 chipsets, but I don't know that they don't work unofficially with mainstream chipsets. It's not a stretch to say Linus may know something about this we don't, though I won't be betting my own money on it.

2 hours ago, Dhazrian said:

well according to what was said in the video the only feature that is really lost by doing so is the lack of ECC memory support based on your mobo.

You need to rewatch that video. He said that they MIGHT work in SOME boards even if the compatibility isn't listed. He never said it would work in every board

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB