Do you use protection?? (Utilities and anti-virus)

alphastrata
6 minutes ago, SecGuy said:

While I wouldn't expect Defender to find an APT, it's not designed for that, if you think any antivirus is designed to take on an APT you're wrong

funny thing how AV-Test.org said the industry avg is 97% detection for 0-day

MS Defender went from 88.9% in March to 88% in April .. oops ?!

let's compare it with KIS: https://www.av-test.org/en/pdfreport/11219

March: 100%

April: 100%

everyone hates Norton, let's compare it with that: https://www.av-test.org/en/pdfreport/11247

April and March: 100%

Just now, zMeul said:

funny thing how AV-Test.org said the industry avg is 97% detection for 0-day

MS Defender went from 88.9% in March to 88% in April .. oops ?!

Detection of zero days, I'm not talking about detection. I'm talking about PREVENTION. In the operating system, Windows smart screen filter is great at preventing unrecognized applications from running, Microsoft has a great cyber-security team, and unknown files get automatically submitted to their servers.  Antivirus is the last thing you want to be detecting a zero day.  Because that is the last line of defense, besides Chrome has sandboxing.   The best way to protect isn't by detecting zero days through behavior detection algorithms which take up memory and processing power but instead protecting the computers externally. 

And even then, if a zero day were to enter a Windows system typically found in a user's home it would have to get passed Smart Screen filter, and if it was unrecognized it would be blocked by that.  

Just now, SecGuy said:

Chrome has sandboxing

soo .. what if I don't use Chrome but IE or that other shit .. Edge

as or smart screen filter ... get real! people are their own worst enemy

I've let Defender on my dad's PC to see what happens - I'm not touching it even with a 10ft pole :ph34r:

Was not expecting the amount of responses this has received, thank you.

i too have never really had anything in the way of viruses or problems with my machines but, unfortunately I manage the machines of quite a few family members - remotely and it's just a pain in the arse looking for new products to help them be passively protected.

Thanks to all of you for the software name drops, that's what I was really chasin!

xoxo 

i dont use anti virus and i have no virus. I can easily tell if a file has a virus. You should becareful when downloading.

For normal people i suggest having a decent firewall and adblock or script block. I know for some its bad to block ads but unfortunately plenty of adds are filled with malware. a network anti virus is also a good solution if you arent sure about anti virus on the system itself. I've seen good anti viruses just fail to detect the virus such as cleanbrowser which i manually removed from my family's PC. Its still better to have a decent anti virus even if they are ineffective as long as they arent the pretend ones.