Original Xbox 360 bad disc drive fix?

n00bmlg

I got a used Original Xbox 360 and the only way it'll read discs is if I bang on the top of it, is there a way to fix this?

had the same issue a few years back, bought a replacement laser of ebay for £7 and just replaced it myself. Plenty of guides online and as long as you have a decent torx screw set then you will be fine. 

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

had the same issue a few years back, bought a replacement laser of ebay for £7 and just replaced it myself. Plenty of guides online and as long as you have a decent torx screw set then you will be fine. 

How do I find a replacement laser?

3 minutes ago, n00bmlg said:

How do I find a replacement laser?

You need to dismantle your xbox, then on top of the hard drive enclosure   there will be a load of information, find the name of the disk drive it will be something like DG16D2S, then type in DG16D2S replacement laser into ebay and order it.

5 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

You need to dismantle your xbox, then on top of the hard drive enclosure   there will be a load of information, find the name of the disk drive it will be something like DG16D2S, then type in DG16D2S replacement laser into ebay and order it.

Would it be better to get a Slim?

13 minutes ago, n00bmlg said:

if you want to buy a new one go ahead

23 hours ago, n00bmlg said:

The slim is definitely better as far as durability goes but if your original is still going strong it's one of the survivors so I'd just replace the laser.  I replaced my sons for like $15 a few years back and it's not hard at all.